“Below expectations ...”

Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Spain
“Below expectations ...”
Reviewed December 6, 2008

This hotel is located at the entrance of key west but a very short drive to downtown. The bedroom was just ok, probably the best part was the bed, really comfortable, as usual for Marriot. The bathroom was also ok.

However, it seems the hotel has very different kind of rooms and we must have got one of the worst, just a small bedroom with the bathroom, not a kitchen, or living room or even a mini bar in the bedroom. The only window of the room was facing an outdoor corridor which gave access to other rooms so you had to choose between privacy or natural light, and having all the day long the window closed and the lights on was not so convenient. In addition, the room was quite close to the main road and it was quite nosy, and in the corridor the noise was terrible.

The common areas, pool, gardens, and so on were find although the pool seemed a little small for the size of the resort.

Front desk staff was just fine, nothing special and the service from the bell boy was quite impolite. He just told us this is your building, take the lift and you will find your room in your second floor, and not even offered to take the luggage.

It was my first time there, and it looks there are different categories of guests, as we saw some other people received much better service. So, probably, unless you are a regular customer of the property I would not recommend for first time visitors or tourists.

• Liked — The bed ...
  • Disliked — The room without a proper window, and noise, ...
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We were all set to go and just the night before came under the weather with flu and had to cancel the booking. Normally the hotel charges $150 as a penalty but upon learning about our situation the hotel management happily agreed to waive the penalty. This was the week after Thanksgiving, so it was not as if they were heavily booked and would find last minute reservations.

Very few times have I seen such a courteous hotel management.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NCtraveller27
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed November 29, 2008

Could not have been more pleased with our stay at the hotel. We arrived at 11:30 am and checked in without a problem. I advised them our daughter decided to come with us. They were so accommodating, they upgraded us so that "we would be more comfortable" - their words. What a surprise when we walked into the unit and discovered they had upgraded us to a 3 bedroom. We had more than enough space. The pool was great, the hottub was perfect. The service at the pool bar was fabulous. This was definitely one of our better vacations.

• Liked — The units were very upscale.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
East TN
Reviewed November 28, 2008

Perfect place for our honeymoon. The staff is great, and the value was fantastic.

We will go every year and stay at Beachside

Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed November 17, 2008

I will put it very simply. I will stay at this resort every time I come to Key West which is quite often as long as they have availability.

When I first found this location, I was looking for a decent place to stay at a decent price. I stay in Key West 6 to 8 times a year and while I love luxury, I cannot afford to stay in the $300-$500 resorts when I go so often. This Resort turned out to have the luxury I would expect from the higher priced resorts but at a much more reasonable rate.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite. I absolutely did not feel like I was staying in a hotel, which Beachside Resort is not, but felt like I was staying in home or condo. This was not a small room with a small kitchenette or a bathroom that is unusually shaped because they tried to fit everything into a small space. This was real luxury. I live in a big house and the master bath here was as big if not bigger then what I have in a big 5 bedroom house. The kitchen was absolutely a complete kitchen of the best cabinets, appliances and marble counter tops. In the one bedroom suite, the bedroom is a completely seperate room from the Kitchen/Dining/Living room and was bigger then any hotel room I have ever stayed in by itself. And finally, the living room and deck were both beautiful and comfortable with LCD TV's and cushioned patio furniture.

The rooms however are not the only suprises. The pool area was so beautifully appointed with its very large swimming pool, comfortable lounge chairs including double lounge chairs for the romantic couples, unbelievable landscaping, and Cabanas with curtains when you want a little privacy. Ask the bar tender at the poolside bar and restaurant for a chocolate milk shake or anything else not on the menu. If they know it or you can describe it then they will make it.

I have stayed many times in Key West directly on Duval Street thinking that I wanted to be as close as possible to the action. This location is even better. They have a shuttle running between the resort and Duval that is free and you do not have to listen to the motorcycles and screaming all night long like you would if you stayed on Duval. You can stay and party on Duval as long as you like and then go to a extremely comfortable and quite room when you are ready for a quite and luxureous bed.

I read a lot of the reviews before staying here and was concerned about the bad remarks about the beach. They are right that the beach area is not for swimming. The sand does not run into the water as it is held back by a retaining wall and the water is not what I would normally swim in. But for laying out in the sun it is fantastic. They have a few hammocks available for those wanting to really relax and the sand is soft with no rocks unlike the real beaches on the south side of Key West. I normally much prefer the beach to the pool when going to any beach resort but this beach has the benefits of both as it is directly between the pool and the ocean. You can enjoy both at the same time. You don't have to leave the pool and go a couple hundred yards to get to the beach. They are right together.

Lastly, the restaurant was fantastic. They had some very unusual dishes and I strongly recommend the Ahi Tuna. Yes prices are high as you would expect at any hotel or resort but not extravagant. You are in a tourist area and prices everywhere are a little higher then normal. I eat at the hotel restaurant at least 1 or 2 times whenever I go. I cannot vouche for there breakfasts though as I love cooking breakfast in the room and never made it to the restaurant at that time.

As I said at the start. I will stay at this location again and again. I cannot give a stronger recommendation. I was so impressed that I am actually checking on this review that I am willing to be contacted which is something I have never done before.

• Liked — The rooms and especially the bed were absolutely the best
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BRWyatt
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed November 14, 2008

The units are beautiful but the tile floors were very dirty and after maid service several things were not replaced like one of the robes, the kitchen towels and all the toiletries except for a shower cap and q tips (there was no shampoo, even on the first night). We also had a bulb out in a bathroom. When I called to bring it to their attention, no one returned my call although a manager was on staff and I left the message on her voice mail. At check out, the housekeeping manager on duty appologized but offered no compensation. She said someone had gone to our room to replace a lightbulb and bring something but that the "Do Not Disturb" sign was up. If they had called back we would have been expecting them. I would not stay here again. They don't pay attention to details, don't seem to care about making your stay comfortable or if you come back.

Another thing, we din't have a good view of the sunset, even from our private roof top. We were in unit 132.

• Liked — Beautiful suites and bay view
  • Disliked — Housekeeping and lack of response to guests.
Troy, NY
Reviewed November 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Beachside Resort to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We were given a complimentary upgrade on our room and when we walked in, it was amazing. The "room" was a one bedroom condo complete with a full size kitchen, dining room, living room, bedroom and 1 1/2 baths. The room was spotless and had all the comforts of home! The staff at the hotel were wonderful too. We had dinner at their restaurant, Tavern N Town and it was fantastic! We both had the Filet Mignon and it was delicious. We had dinner at Morton's in Chicago and this was much better and alot cheaper ($250 for dinner for 2 at Mortons; $150 including tip at Tavern N Town). Overall our experience was unbelievable and we highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in Key West. As other reviews mentioned, it was on the quieter side of town, but with the shuttle service they provide it was not a problem for us. My only wish is that I didn't stay at Beachside longer. We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami for a few days before staying in Key West.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Nothing