“Great atmosphere and food”

Hogfish Bar & Grill
Ranked #39 of 450 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Went here at the suggestion of locals. The indoor/outdoor atmosphere was typical keys. The service excellent, and the food good. We wanted to go back another night but ran out of time. Get good directions before leaving and don't let the surrounding neighborhood deter you.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,285)

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We were in the keys during lobster season and had not eaten one yet. We were recommended to come here as it was off the beaten tourist path and there was the hope of lobster. Unfortunately there was only one dish with local lobster, the others were from Maine. The food was average pub style and was nice enough. Nice surroundings and atmosphere.

1  Thank The_Georges07
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Great open air restaurant down a beaten path. Food is good as the locals probably attest but I'd say a bit pricey for what it was.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were really looking forward to going there. We heard such great reviews. My husband had the hogfish sandwich but he said it didn't have any flavor. The service was good and the atmosphere but food was okay.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were delighted with the Hogfish's atmosphere. The service was fine, and we thought the prices were fair as well. We both ordered hogfish (how could we not?!) and unfortunately we were disappointed. I got the blackened hogfish tacos, and my husband ordered the house specialty fried hogfish sandwich. I am not a heavy salt eater, and my fish tasted completely bland. My husband felt the same way about his. Also, the fish in both dishes was mushy, like it was waterlogged. I wonder if it had been frozen and thawed multiple times, or maybe thawed the wrong way? I don't know, but it was far from the lovely texture of all the other hogfish we've enjoyed living here in the Keys. That said, the sides were great -- fresh, well-seasoned and plentiful. We'll go back and try again to see if this first visit was just a fluke. I hope so, because we really liked the place otherwise.