“Excellent Service, food is average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Jack's Seafood Shack - CLOSED

Jack's Seafood Shack
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Tampa, Florida
“Excellent Service, food is average”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

The service was great, thank you Greg!! The food was a little bit pricey and was just ok.

Visited April 2012

english man in shropshire, england
“Way too expensive”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Avoid this restaurant! Extremely expensive! I only ate there for breakfast because I was staying at the attached hotel - La Concha. I realise now why the place was almost empty. An extra 18% was added to the check as a compulsory gratuity and this was not made clear on the menu posted in the window, plus the tax, making for an extremely expensive breakfast. Even if I won the Lotto, I would not pay out good money to eat there. AVOID!

• Visited April 2012
Miami Springs, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dont waste your time at Jacks Seafood Shack. The absolute WORST!”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

My wife and I travel to key west every year, usually around March, to get away and enjoy the beautiful city and abundant fresh seafood. There is a Starbucks coffee on Duval St that sits next to Jacks Seafood, and we stopped in for our drinks. It is located in the lobby area of the La Concha Hotel, which looks like a typical tourist trap hotel, criminally over-priced and judging from its reviews, not worth the money. I was happy with our drinks, even though not a single employee of the starbucks smiled or asked how our day was or how our drinks were, etc. They seemed almost upset to have to be there, and just came across as some of the most unfriendly people I've seen in Key West, which is unusual for Key West. After reading the "street-side" menu posted in the window outside of Jacks Seafood which is located next to the Starbucks in the La Concha Hotel, we decided to give Jacks a try. The menu looked tasty and original. I was impressed with the descriptions and the actual restaurant was very clean and inviting. However, looks can be decieving and we soon realized we had made a tremendous error.
There were a couple scattered tables of people and a few patrons at the bar which is why we ate there. I figured at least we would get our order quickly and we could make the 2pm Fury Boat trip that my wife was very excited about. A red haired server with a heavy russian accent came to our table and asked if we would like to start with some drinks or appetizers. I ordered a beer and my wife asked for an apple martini. She left with the order and returned moments later saying that they could not make an apple martini. The bar tender was a young man very clean cut. He yells from the bar over to our server and says "I can do it, I can do it". After a minute of confusion, she returns with my beer and what was suppose to be an apple-tini. Wow, I can only imagine what was in the glass, but it was'nt an apple-tini. The drink sat on the table for the duration of our lunch and we were never asked how it was or why my wife was not drinking it. In the end, I paid for the drink, even though she didnt drink more then a sip before deciding to skip it all together. I ordered a lobster appetizer and conch salad. The lobster was way over cooked and they were out of the conch salad. I asked for the crab nachos instead and had to send that back because it barely had any crab at all, lettuce-which wasnt listed on the menu, and the chips were so stale I think they had potential to chip a persons tooth. For our lunch, I had the "stacked burger" and my wife ordered a "steak and lobster quesadilla" which she had seen another person at the table across from us eating. After 30 mins I waved our server over (she stayed talking to another girl in what sounded like russian in the far corner of the bar where all the staff seemed to congregate and text on their phones) and asked why it was taking so long and explained we had a boat trip later. Without even checking, she very sternly replied "We have only one cook and he is not that fast". My jaw dropped to the floor in disbelief. That was the answer? I said nothing back to her as I felt any further communication with this woman was a complete, utter waste of time. About 40 mins later our very cold food came out. What a joke! Anything that could of been wrong, was. My burger was so overcooked, it was un-edible. My wifes quesadilla had 2 pieces of chopped shrimp, not lobster, and looked nothing like the one the other table had eaten earlier. The fries in my basket were cold, the burger was cold, the rice and beans on my wifes plate were disgusting and had no flavor. The lettuce was wilted and old. The cheese was incorrect, and the cheese on my wifes quesadilla was not even melted. There were so many things wrong, it's probably easier for me to list what was right, which was just the fact that she brought what I asked for. This was by far the WORST meal we both have had in Key West over the past 20 years.! The service was horriable and the attitude of the staff is embarassing. I later found out that the Starbucks, and Jacks Seafood Shack are both operated and managed by La Concha hotel. It seems that every place we went to on our trip to Key West had something bad to say about the La Concha.!
Before paying my bill, I asked to speak to a manager, and was told she doesnt come in till "around" 2pm. I asked to speak to the manager of the Hotel, and was told he is off on weekends. I asked to speak with anyone at all, and was told there was no manager in the hotel I could speak, at all. On a Saturday, you would think that there would be several people that would want to know about our experience at Jacks Seafood Shack, however the fact that there was'nt any, says alot about why the time we spent at Jacks was a waste of time and an experience we will never forget, just for all the wrong reasons.
Fellow travelers, do yourselves a favor. WHATEVER you do, DO NOT go to Jacks.! On top of everything else, it's expensive! Way too expensive for run of the mill food cooked poorly. For the same price range there are literally hundreds of places in the area that are so much better. In my opinion, they should consider leasing that space out to someone who knows what they are doing, or at least provide some kind of service instead of a place to sit and throw money in the garbage.!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank northandsouth1
Key West, Florida
“Delicious food, great atmosphere, and exceptional service!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had a large party and Jack's did an excellent job accommodating us. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. Even with the large number of guests, everyone was very well taken care and enjoyed their meal!

• Visited March 2012
Miami, Florida
“Average food but very expensive”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

The nachos were ok but the quesadillas and the salds were less than average. Too expensive for the quality of the food served there. There are better places in Key West.

Visited March 2012