“Parrot Sanctuary” 5 of 5 bubbles

Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden
Ranked #47 of 163 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: OPEN RAIN OR SHINE Come have fun with talking, laughing and dancing parrots. Artist and environmental activist Nancy Forrester has been rescuing abused and orphaned parrots for 28 years. Join her at 10 to 11 AM daily for Nancy's special presentation "Parrot 101" or "Storytelling" where guests can take pictures of un-caged birds, hold them and ask questions. We gladly welcome families with children and animal lovers to the Secret Garden to interact with our endangered South & Central American macaws and other parrots. Open 10 to 3 daily. Guided 10 to 11, Self-guided 11 to 3 PM. Educational material for each parrot is offered. Help inspire the birds by spending time with them. Bring a picnic lunch, play musical instruments, paint, write, sing, and dance. Parrots love music and videos played on smart devices! Well behaved dogs welcome. Please, leave your parrots at home! Thank you
New Jersey
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Parrot Sanctuary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Here nested in a small alleyway is an abundance of Parrots of all kinds. They are all beautiful and have distinct personalities. If you are lucky they will even dance for you. The owner will put them on your arm and inform you of not only the type of parrot they are but a little history as to what they eat,reside in the wild and also if they were dropped off to her.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank newjerseyal

Tavernier, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Who is writing these reviews!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I went to Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden today on the recommendation of Trip Advisor. We actually turned around and walked out. You enter through a side gate of the house and walk past all sorts of junk and a washer and dryer. There are many birds in cages, but it is an absolute dump. Dirty and junky, I commend her for her work with birds and can only assume that is why there are good reviews written, but they aren't accurate. There is nothing magical or peaceful about the tiny backyard cluttered with cages.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lisa S
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
You are talking about 44 years of Key West living at its best. This is my real life, my home, my studio and my parrot sanctuary. I love this place and the environmental work I do!
Obviously it is not for you.
Bird Lovers, Parrot Lovers and Satisfied Customers are writing the reviews.
I do not know what junk you are referring to because everything here is useful and parrot related, necessary items for their care.
There is a small building with doors that connects to the porch, it holds a stacking washer (new) and dryer, we use the machines all the time. We only close these doors for hurricanes and I have never had a complaint about their visibility before.
The cages in the back yard are by Cages by Design and the best you can buy. Stainless steel and anodized aluminum. My style of gardening is not manicured, plants are allowed to ramble and the old brown leaves and palm fronds are enjoyed as much as the new green ones.
Here raw nature reins supreme! The exterior of the building has not been painted for sometime. It will be receiving repairs and new paint in the spring.
I find beauty, magic and peace all around me.
A friend of mine suggests you visit a parrot at Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Nancy Forrester
Miami Beach, Florida
“Breath Of Fresh Air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Well finally my wife and I had a chance to visit Nancy and her beautiful birds. She took her time to talk with us even after closing hours and answered our many questions. It was nice so see someone so passionate about her work it was inspiring. It was something so different from the rest of Key West that we found it to be a breath of fresh air. We plan to return just to spend some more time with the birds and also listen to the wonderful stories Nancy has to share. Five Stars for us. Thank you!!

Visited October 2013
Key West, Florida
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“very different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The foliage is amazing. Hard to believe there's this little rainforest in the middle of town. Nancy added birds a couple of years ago and there's quite a variety of parrots.

Visited June 2013
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“The best secret place in all of Key West”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

The simplest most tranquil spot you will ever find on the island. I have recommended the following scenario to every one who ever asked while visiting on "what to do, where to eat" and this is two fold and am glad to write the following, almost verbatim on what I have said.

If you want to have a most mystical, quiet, priceless lunch gathering (1-2-3 people at most) in Key West, then Nancy's Secret Garden is your place and here's how it's done. Find Fausto's grocery (just around the corner) and order a sandwich or pick some lite takes. Walk around to Nancy's Secret Garden and have lunch, viola, the best lunch meal in Key West.

If its hot outside, its 10 degrees cooler under the thick canopy of trees. Its peaceful with a few cackles of tropical birds, just through the foliage make it even better. Sit in silence, look around and relax. No crowds, close to the strip so you don't get lost, you'd never even know its there and grateful to find it. Be generous in your donation, this womans dream and continued support by visitors is truly needed.

If there is any magic left in Key West, you have found it and thanks to her, a treasure amongst the garbage

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Professional R
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Professional R,
I see you visited Dec. 2012 and wrote a review Oct. 2013
Today, 16 people came to our gate looking for my rainforest garden which does not exist anymore. They were interested in the garden only and not the parrots and also not interested in paying for either had the garden still been here. The garden no longer exists because people thought it was free.
My now much smaller garden is a sanctuary for rescued parrots. With their help, I offer parrot 101 for animal lovers. It is possible to bring a lunch here.
We have a $10 per person fee, $5 for children. This fee supports rescued parrots and is not an arbitrary donation. We can not survive on donations.
Thank you for your very positive review
Nancy