“Lovely chat with Nancy among the birds.”

Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden
Ranked #45 of 168 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: OPEN RAIN OR SHINE Come have fun with talking, laughing and dancing parrots. Artist and environmental activist Nancy Forrester has been rescuing abused and orphaned parrots for 28 years. Join her at 10 to 11 AM daily for Nancy's special presentation "Parrot 101" or "Storytelling" where guests can take pictures of un-caged birds, hold them and ask questions. We gladly welcome families with children and animal lovers to the Secret Garden to interact with our endangered South & Central American macaws and other parrots. Open 10 to 3 daily. Guided 10 to 11, Self-guided 11 to 3 PM. Educational material for each parrot is offered. Help inspire the birds by spending time with them. Bring a picnic lunch, play musical instruments, paint, write, sing, and dance. Parrots love music and videos played on smart devices! Well behaved dogs welcome. Please, leave your parrots at home! Thank you
“Lovely chat with Nancy among the birds.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant afternoon in a relaxed shady backyard garden. Sorry to hear about the loss of the garden, but still a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of Duvall. If you are a bird lover, definitely stop by and say hello.

Visited September 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear leftfld,
Thank you for supporting my vision for many years and by continuing to visit when you return to Key West. My visionary garden creation is gone but the dream of saving rainforests and wild places lives on in the hearts and minds of many visitors like yourselves who understood the message. Good stewardship of what remains of the natural world depends on each and every human being, all 7 billion of us! Good memories of the garden are important because they keep us connected. The Garden's peace and tranquility was one virtue.
When I was steward of the larger garden I opened my arms to parrots in need. They have become life's greatest gift to me! Their intelligence is astounding, I have been their rapt student for 25 years.
There are 374 parrot species, one third are critically endangered.
The good news is, we can take action to save them.

Naples, Florida
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“No Tour”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Walked all the way over to see because the reviews were wonderful. Nancy was not there and no sign was posted.

Visited September 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear lovinlbi,
I am very sorry to have missed your visit.
There are only two of us (myself and my employee Steve) doing all the work required to keep our rescued parrots healthy and happy and we want to meet all our visitors
Friday was a difficult day, fraught with some unforeseen and ongoing serious health problems.
(not out of the woods yet).
However we are open and I am available!
Thanks to you, I am preparing a sign to let visitors know in case this kind of thing happens again.
I give a 10 AM presentation everyday, in the hopes that people who really want to meet me and handle a parrot are able to do so then. The rest of the day I do bird chores in and out of the house.
I am hearing impaired. I keep an eye on the garden from the house and always come out to greet people if I see them.
I do not offer a tour a such, but more of fun and educational talk on parrots and will do this any time of the day for visitors
On the rare occasion that we do not meet, I have posted a lot of educational material for the self-guided. It would take about an hour to read everything and visit with the parrots.
We do not want to disappoint anyone and we are always willing to improve
Tampa, Florida
3 attraction reviews
“Bird love...wonderful place!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Prior to a recent trip to Key West, my husband did a search on points of interest and found Nancy's Secret Garden. It sounded and looked interesting and since we're both very fond of feathered friends, we went to visit in person. We were very glad we went. It did not disappoint! Nancy is very friendly, informative and has a great passion for birds and nature. We thoroughly enjoyed our up close and personal experience there, and would highly recommend this to anyone visiting the area.

Visited September 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Bill W,
Thank you for your review.
My mama had plant and animal love and a special interest in birds when I was a child.
She observed them in the wild, told great stories about their antics and tried to protect them.
Proud to be following in her footsteps and of service to parrot feathered friends in need.

dear
Boca Raton, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Amazing Hidden Gem - A must stop for sure!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stopped at Nancy’s Forresters on a Friday morning and we were delightfully surprised at our experience! We left our donation / entry fee in the jar as we entered, and we were immediately greeted with several “Hellos” by one of Nancy’s birds! As noted in other reviews… this is Nancy’s home and her backyard that she has converted into a haven to save unwanted birds. Please understand this is not a fancy zoo – this is not a petting zoo or a fancy tourist zoo. This is a passionate bird rescuers backyard. We were so fortunate that day - Nancy came outside and greeted us… and even though she was clearly having a busy morning taking care of her birds, she sat down and talked to us for hours! The dedication and passion she has for saving birds is evident. She is excited to share her knowledge and the story behind each bird. I highly recommend a stop at Nancy's home to have the privilege of visiting her backyard that she has turned into a sanctuary for these neglected and unwanted beautiful and breathtaking birds. Again, please remember that this is a women who has selflessly dedicated her home and life to rescue and save neglected and unwanted birds – there is nobody collecting an entry fee or selling tickets... so please don’t forget to leave a donation in the jar so she can continue to help these beautiful creatures.

Visited August 2013
Dear LejonGirl,
Important!
Just so people do not get the wrong impression. We can not survive on arbitrary donations which leads at times to shocked visitors who have the impression it is free or by donation.
We do have and have always had an entrance fee of $10 per adult and $5 for children (5-11). This fee supports the parrots here in the sanctuary, enhances their lives and allows me to spend time educating the public on the plight of parrots in captivity and in the wild.
Philly
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Awesome Little Secret Garden”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Since the Secret Garden was my favorite childhood book, I had to visit this one. I was not disappointed and the parrot sanctuary is such a nice surprise!

Visited June 2013
Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear goodegg5, - Love your name
Thank you for visiting our small garden sanctuary with parrots.
Key West has 82 attractions. That is a lot of competition and we are always honored when visitors choose to spend time with us and the parrots. You help us keep them nourished mentally and physically.
The Secret Garden is a story of healing and I my hope is that this place and my work reflects that honorable task.
Nancy