“A unique experience to share with unique people”

Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden
Ranked #22 of 130 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: OPEN RAIN OR SHINE Come have fun with talking, laughing and dancing parrots. Artist and environmental activist Nancy Forrester has been rescuing abused and orphaned parrots for 28 years. Join her at 10 to 11 AM daily for Nancy's special presentation "Parrot 101" or "Storytelling" where guests can take pictures of un-caged birds, hold them and ask questions. We gladly welcome families with children and animal lovers to the Secret Garden to interact with our endangered South & Central American macaws and other parrots. Open 10 to 3 daily. Guided 10 to 11, Self-guided 11 to 3 PM. Educational material for each parrot is offered. Help inspire the birds by spending time with them. Bring a picnic lunch, play musical instruments, paint, write, sing, and dance. Parrots love music and videos played on smart devices! Well behaved dogs welcome. Please, leave your parrots at home! Thank you
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A far away from tourists tour experience, meeting a true woman welcoming us in her garden, and explaining and teaching us about the parrots she rescued. Most of them are unique, beautiful animals with her own sounds, way of speaking, etc....the more you are interested, the more time Nancy will spend time with you and give you her precious knowledges on these animals. You can do a donation, otherwise you just give 10 dollars per people.
As we do love animals, we easily handled some of the macaws and cacatows on our writs, giving them food, cuddles, whistling with them...a unique experiment we have shared in family with our teens.

Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Dear Acomange,
Thank you for allowing me to teach and explain to you and your teens the many issues facing parrots today, whether in captivity or in the wild. Your presence here enhanced our parrots lives, not only your financial support but the hands on interaction you offered.

All reviews
"extinction"
"orphans"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A once in a lifetime chance, we loved getting to hold both Mr. Peaches and Baby! My mom loved getting to hold Baby Blue in her arms like he was a real baby. Nancy took time (even though she had somewhere to be) to talk to us both about the birds and ourselves. Many of the birds can talk and whistle, and we had fun just watching and listening to them. As a bird lover, this is a must to visit while in Key West. The birds are beautiful and wonderfully cared for. These birds are rescued and love to see people. Both Mr. Peaches and Baby said "Hello" to us as they came out. It was such an amazing experience!

Greetings Allyson N
Thank you for visiting, being bird lovers and taking the time to post to Trip Advisor
Your phrase "I will never forget this experience" made me reminisce.
My best experiences in life have been up close and personal with animals and collaborative art projects with environmental artists.
When I create good memories I hope their value helps save wild nature.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was a wonderful experience! My daughter and I visited and loved every minute. Nancy is such a nice person and told us interesting information about her birds. She allowed us to hold the birds and spend so much time with us! Thank you for letting me hold Ara, Nancy! It made my day. I can't wait to visit again.

Dear The Frays232
A great day for Ara our Blue and Gold Macaw
Ara is very particular about who she trusts. You are among a very small and select group of people (8) both men and women who have held her.
Our volunteer Jerry Kemler an animal lover and an accomplished parrot handler has made no headway with Ara for two years.
She obviously wanted to step "UP UP" on your arm.
Thank you for being brave and helping her to advance socially.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just a few blocks off of Duval street, this little garden is like a whole 'nother world. Nancy has so many amazing birds that she loves and cares for. There's information about the history of each bird, and she'll answer any questions and let you get up close with any bird that you wish. It's an absolute must for any bird lover, or anyone that wants a bit of nature away from the bustling madness of the bars down the road. Walk on over and find the little overgrown walkway to get to the garden. It's worth it. Definitely the most magical experience for me in Key West.

Nancy F, Owner at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Michael K,

I like your expressions "whole 'nother world", and "a bit of nature'' and "little overgrown walkway''
For me the magic experience is in the wild - the untamed tropical plants allowed to do there own thing, to creep and crawl uncut and the undomesticated parrots. When I stop controlling and manipulating the natural world and take time to listen and observe there is much to glean from here, even in this small rare space near Duval St.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

After reading multiple great reviews on Trip Advisor – visiting Nancy was a must on my Key West trip in July. It was by far one of my favorite things I did this past weekend.
Nancy is extremely welcoming and knowledgeable. My Dad is also a bird owner and truly enjoyed exchanging stories with her.
Her birds are absolutely beauties. They are gorgeous and some are quite friendly. Nancy shares lots of valuable tips for bird owners or future bird owners. As an aspiring photographer, I was able to get some very close detailed shots of her birds and that was very exciting for me.
Our visit was an amazing experience. Nancy’s dedication is absolutely inspiring. Please remember to give a donation to help in the rehabilitation of these animals.

Darian D
Thank you taking the time to write a review.
I am grateful to you and Trip Advisor for bring us visitors who love birds. Yea! There are a lot of us and the numbers are growing. Exchanging stories with parrot owners is always the high point of the day for me. I learn from each and every one of you. It always amazes me that there is so much more to be learned when it comes to parrots.
Who has more fun here? Steve, me and our family of parrots or our visitors. It is debatable!
I love taking pictures of the birds myself and always try to assist our visitors in getting the shots they want!
Nancy