“Well worth the time and cost”

Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum
$68.99*
Key West Day Trip with Trolley, Train or Water Activities
Ranked #18 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a fully accredited museum in the Florida Keys. Come discover a museum rich in history! We have amazing treasure in our 1622 Fleet exhibit of the Spanish galleons discovered by Mel Fisher and his crew. Also thought provoking Spirits of the Passage and Key West African Cemetery exhibits to glean insights into the transatlantic slave trade and Key West's unique role in it. And don't miss our three new exhibits -- Spanish Coins in the New World, the Real Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Science of Shipwrecks. You can even take a lab tour to see how history is revealed through excavation and conservation of shipwrecks. Make plans to visit. We're open seven days a week, 365 days a year!
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We returned to visit the Mel Fisher Museum this trip after visiting it about 8 years ago during a cruise stop. We were disappointed to learn that someone had stolen the gold bar from the Atocia they had in a display case in such a manner that you could lift it enough to feel its weight but I understand they need to protect themselves from the evil nature that inflicts mankind. Be sure to visit the second floor displays concerning slave ships and the slave trade. Man's inhumanity to man is certainly on display there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,409)

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Mel Fisher has been fantastically successful discovering lost treasure. He shares some of his experiences at his museum. Although in dire need of a update, I enjoyed the exhibits.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was pretty skeptical going in, but this is a fascinating museum. We all enjoyed learning about the maritime history and then Mel Fisher's experiences recovering the treasure.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

If you are curious as to what goes into treasure hunts this is the place to find out. Informative displays. History of pirates was enthralling. Well worth the cost of admission.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

The Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum is located in Old Town on the Western side of Key West. It is on the corner of Greene and Whitehead Streets, not far from Mallory Square and the cruise ship dock. The museum is very easy to find and is open 365 days a year until 5 PM. The museum is a non-profit organization and you can donate money to it if you want. There are two floors of artifacts plus a gift shop.

I went at about 4:15 on a Sunday afternoon in mid-December and it was not very busy. I paid $12.50 to get in which I thought was reasonable price. It took me about 30 minutes to tour the museum but I could have spent another 30-45 minutes if I read all the signs. Most of the artifacts in the museum come from the two most famous shipwrecks found by Mel Fischer. These two ships are the Atcoha and the Henrietta Marie. The Henrietta Marie was an English merchant slave ship and the Atocha was a Spanish ship loaded with a fortune in New World silver, gold, emeralds and minted coins. I really enjoyed looking at the Treasure as I had read a lot about Mel Fischer. I also and have watched a couple of documentaries about him on his search for the Atocha. The museum has actual gold and silver artifacts that are on display as well as regular, everyday ship items.

Overall I really enjoyed this small museum and recommend it. I have always been interested in shipwrecks and treasure hunting so I really enjoyed going through this small museum. It was both educational and informative. It was also interesting to learn more about Mel Fischer. Mel searched for 16 years to find the Atocha and sadly lost his son and daughter in law in a boating accident during the search. The museum exhibits are self-guided and there is lot to read about at each display.

1  Thank rockyjoe