“Interesting, a little over priced, staff was a little snobby”

Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum
$68.98*
Key West Day Trip with Trolley, Train or Water Activities
Ranked #18 of 180 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a fully accredited museum in the Florida Keys. Come discover a museum rich in history! We have amazing treasure in our 1622 Fleet exhibit of the Spanish galleons discovered by Mel Fisher and his crew. Also thought provoking Spirits of the Passage and Key West African Cemetery exhibits to glean insights into the transatlantic slave trade and Key West's unique role in it. And don't miss our three new exhibits -- Spanish Coins in the New World, the Real Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Science of Shipwrecks. You can even take a lab tour to see how history is revealed through excavation and conservation of shipwrecks. Make plans to visit. We're open seven days a week, 365 days a year!
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My wife and I went through the museum. We paid the $2 extra for the audio tour and it was a waste of money as the audio description was much the same as what was written on the cards by the exhibits. The small items used by the various people on the ship were very interesting. The gold and silver items recovered were boring compared to finding out about all of the various equipment and utensils used by the crew and passengers.

There are newer reviews for Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect, but this museum was incredibly interesting! The displays included real artifacts brought up from the sunken ship, with thorough and interesting descriptions. I loved learning about the treasures, and about the history of Key West. The Harry Potter exhibit currently on display was fun too! I would definitely recommend to kids eight and older and all adults!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

A must see that we almost missed! The museum is right next to Mallory Square, but sometimes over looked. So interesting, my kids loved it. The treasures were amazing. My daughter loved the beauty and history of them, while my son loved the "pirate-like" atmosphere of the treasures.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My spouse and I enjoyed seeing all of the treasures uncovered by Mel Fisher's crew while learning about Mel and his family. We enjoyed an added bonus because there was a temporary exhibit regarding J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter series which I am a great fan. It was very interesting overall without an overwhelming amount of "reading exhibits". More focused on what to observe which was great!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went there full of hopes and excited but the museum is VERY traditional, dark, big, and very uninspiring. I think it needs to be updated. It is possible that living in a big city where the museums are World;'s best we might be spoiled and to apply our standards to the little town might not be entirely fair but then again, been to many small museums that are awe- inspiring.. just thinking about the Las Vegas Natural History Museum was tinny and SO cool!
This museum in Key West really could use some fun and attractive presentation of the exhibits that require from you lots of reading and thinking on your feet where you would like to just glance and experience kind of thing... narratives on the walls are long and boring and displays go in pair with them.

There are few interesting objects, things, themes and set ups but this does not make up for the rest of the boring work of walking through the exhibit.

If you are adult then by all means do check. If you have little to young kids they will be bored through their noses. So it is good idea to pick and see before you pay.

I think that the Pirate Museum in the old town is much better for younger audience and give the real flavor of the treasures, pirates and all that kids are looking for, in a playful and entertaining manner.

The Mel Fisher museum has about as much fun as going to a library and steering at the book shelf... for like hour and a half?

1  Thank gojam