“First place we wanted to see”

Mel Fisher Maritime Heritage Museum
Experience for Yourself
More Info
$15.00*
and up
Mel Fisher Maritime Museum Admission
Ranked #19 of 169 things to do in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a fully accredited museum in the Florida Keys. Come discover a museum rich in history! We have amazing treasure in our 1622 Fleet exhibit of the Spanish galleons discovered by Mel Fisher and his crew. Also thought provoking Spirits of the Passage and Key West African Cemetery exhibits to glean insights into the transatlantic slave trade and Key West's unique role in it. And don't miss our three new exhibits -- Spanish Coins in the New World, the Real Pirates of the Caribbean, and the Science of Shipwrecks. You can even take a lab tour to see how history is revealed through excavation and conservation of shipwrecks. Make plans to visit. We're open seven days a week, 365 days a year!
Flemington, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First place we wanted to see”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The very first thing we wanted to do on our first trip to Key West was go to the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum featuring the shipwreck Atocha. There was a small entrance fee. The museum was small and dimly lit, however, it was bursting with treasure! It took about 45 minutes from start to finish, reading most of the information plaques. You could avail yourself of a self-guided audio system, but you don't really need it. The gift shop was unique; the sales help informative; memorabilia overpriced. All in all, I'm glad we made the stop.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Janice S

• Polish first
Cape Coral, Florida
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Interesting Exhibits but a Bland”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Decided to go the Mel Fisher museum on a recent trip to the Keys. There are interesting exhibits but layout of the museum was boring. There were no short films of the excavation or any other interactive exhibits. The Harry Potter exhibit was kind of silly and did not make any sense. A lot of space was dedicated for their store to sell coins and other items found at the shipwreck. If you are really into shipwrecks, this is a good museum to visit.

“Rude "Customer Service"”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We visited the Sebastian museum. It was a neat thing to see. I wanted to purchase a ring but the store did not have my size. I ordered it online, it did not fit. The "customer service" agent was such a jerk to me. Rude isn't a strong enough word for her treatment of me. She first told me I could exchange it or get a store credit. I said sorry but your website doesn't state that so I want a full refund. 5 minutes on hold and she tells me she didn't appreciate my tone! Is she serious! She was trying to pull a fast one on me and I am the rude one? Don't bother dealing with the jewelry side of this business.

Huntsville, Alabama
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fisher Museum was very nice”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Very interesting tour. It was very informative tour of real life treasure hunters and the success they found.

1 Thank se_solomon
Belleville, Illinois
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Waste of Time”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This venue is over proced and mostly a waste of time. The actual exhibits related to the recovered ship wrecks are interesting but few, they had a Harry Potter display which was a total waste of time. Do not bother.

1 Thank Les D