Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Dusti!”

Santa Maria Suites Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed December 13, 2013

My partner and I had a fantastic 6 days at this hotel - which has amazing suites and amenities. But what made the stay was the high level of service and especially Dusti, who's a concierge extraordinaire! She found us a wonderful eco-kayaking trip (which was my first) and then followed to make sure we enjoyed it. Her attention was very impressive!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
SantaMariaGM, General Manager at Santa Maria Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for your comments and really appreciate your business. We are glad you had a nice stay and hope you return….soon!

I'm glad Dusti took care of you well! ...And thank you very much for the 5 Star rating!

Happy Holidays!

There are newer reviews for Santa Maria Suites Hotel

Reviewed December 10, 2013

We lucked into finding this hotel on Jetsetter. It ended up being just what our family needed for a few days in Key West. The room itself was very large, with plenty of space for everyone (though the living room couch wasn't the most comfortable). The inner courtyard was very nice. Even though the pool is surrounded by the hotel, it gets sun for most of the day. The hotel staff was very welcoming. Though it's a short walk to the beach, I appreciated that there were chairs and towels available for us there. The only complaint I would have is that, due to the proximity of the rooms, sometimes cigarette smoke would end up wafting towards our (non-smoking) room, causing us to have to close the door to the balcony, which you wouldn't want to do given the lovely weather in Key West.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I just returned from an 8-night stay at Santa Maria Suites and the hotel was a real disappointment. After reading the rave reviews on this site, I was expecting a fantastic resort on my first visit to Key West. Instead, I found myself wishing I had done a little more research to find a better spot to spend a week+.

I should begin by saying that the grounds of the resort are pretty. There are several buildings, each with 3 or 4 suites, scattered around a tropically landscaped pool area. And the front desk staff was always very friendly and responsive. We stopped by the front desk to get bath products (more on that later) and used them to make taxi arrangements a couple times and it was always effortless.

My family and I shared a standard two-bedroom, ground floor suite. The room wasn't bad. There was a larger bedroom with ensuite bath separated from a second, smaller bedroom and a very small bath (not ensuite) by an oddly long galley-style kitchen. I say oddly long because there was a disproportionately massive kitchen island that took up about 2/3 of the remaining room space, leaving very little room for the living area, which made it difficult to use the space to relax as a group and have a conversation or even watch TV.

The kitchen was fairly well equipped - refrigerated drawers and freezer drawers, stovetop and microwave, sink with disposal, dishwasher, pull-out trash bins, even a small wine fridge. However, one of the reasons I chose to stay here for Thanksgiving week was that it advertised - and the photos appeared to confirm - an oven. A "regular" oven. But, in spite of all the space afforded the kitchen, they chose to install extremely small toaster ovens with about 5 inches of clearance - sadly, not enough for a turkey (or chicken or anything beyond the height of a standard cake pan).

The pool area was also pretty, surrounded by gardens in the courtyard. However, for such a small resort, the chairs are unnecessarily packed in with no space between them for small tables to hold drinks, books, glasses, lotion, and all the other items one brings to a pool. In the end, it made no difference, however, because we quickly discovered that the pools (technically, there are two but it is effectively one with a small path dissecting it) are not meant for lounging, relaxing and reading because they are overrun by small children screaming, cannonballing, splashing and throwing balls - fine, if that's what you're after, but we were hoping for a little more relaxation.

The real issue with this resort, however, and the one thing that is very difficult to overlook, is the terrible housekeeping. It's shockingly bad! Aside from a half empty bottle of wine and partially eaten ice cream that was left in our kitchen by a previous guest, in 8 days our bedding was never changed - and, unbelievably, on one day one of the beds wasn't even made (a first for me!); the used products were not replaced - including shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, dishwashing pods, coffee,...; some broken glass that was on our patio when we arrived was never removed; and, on one evening, we returned to a dirty, wet rag left in the center of the kitchen island.

Additionally, the housekeeping staff gets a very late start, which can be annoying. Even though it's a small resort, they never even got to our room until after 4PM each afternoon - just as we were wanting to get ready for the evening.

So, in spite of the positives of this place, the negatives were just too overwhelming to give this resort anything other than a poor rating. It wasn't that the level of service we received wasn't good enough for a $500+/nt hotel; it wasn't even good enough for a $50/nt motel! It's a shame because, otherwise, we had a lovely time in Key West.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank BostonPM

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,
Thank you for your comments and really do appreciate your business. I've tried to reach out to you by phone but have not heard back.

Please call me at the resort at 305-296-5678 when you are available so we can review your comments in more detail. I wish I would have known the issues during your stay.

I apologize and hope I can turn you around so that you will come back soon.

Again and the Santa Maria staff would love for you to give us another opportunity and hopefully you will at your next visit to Key West.

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was a great hotel in a great location. Everything is clean and fresh and the staff is very helpful and friendly. Dusti checked us in and was helpful from the start. She quickly pointed us to happy hour at the pool, pointed us in the right direction for dinner, advised the best way to get around and pointed us to the beach. She was so helpful and started our vacation off great. The next day she was working poolside - another great day.

The best part may be the Dove bars, chocolates and muffins with the turn down service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

I'm glad Dusti took care of you at the resort. I too would write her name wrong...it is Dusti with an i! and thank you very much for the 5 Star rating!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just back from my third Key West Vacation, and by far the best thanks to the staff at Santa Maria Suites. Accommodations were wonderful. Great location. My significant other and I stayed in a garden view one bedroom condo, with kitchen, living room, and even a few balconies. Nordi was wonderful - helped us with all of our plans (bike rental, dinner recommendations / reservations, sailboat rental....). Smoothies by the pool were delicious, and the muffins and dove bars were plentiful. Planning on making this an annual trip!

Room Tip: Garden view may be a little quieter than pool view, although noise level not an issue at all.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

We just finished our 3rd Thanksgiving week staying at Santa Maria Suites! Perfect as always...hospitality, friendliness, cleanliness, location, you name it. Santa Maria is a true delight...and kudos to Norti and Cristin! Oh and the rooms and pool area are both magnificent!

Stayed: November 2013

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for making Santa Maria Suites your Thanksgiving holiday home. I'm glad Nordi and Cristin took care of you well...and thank you very much for the 5 Star rating!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

It took me a while to write this review but better late than never,
My husband and I spent a week in KW and stayed here.
Was fantastic, clean, very chick, love the blueberry muffins in the morning, the balcony was beautiful to have a drink at night, good sized pool, helpful staff.
Love having a laundry and dryer, and full kitchen.

Room Tip: Higher floor, privacy 100%
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple