“Lacking it's original charm”

Santa Maria Suites Hotel
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have been coming to the Santa Maria for 4 years, for my birthday and have always thought of it as a 5 star, high quality , customer service driven resort. This year we felt little less excited.
We arrived early so our room was not ready, not a problem. Dusty showed us where would could change and suggested Louie's backyard for lunch. The food and wine and service there was amazing. When we returned to check in Christina told us that she was upgrading us to a pool view , this seemed nice. Actually she had given us a room where the bedroom window faced the busy, high foot and vehicle traffic Front St. We were less than impressed and frankly felt a little duped.
I was extremely disappointed with the hotel manager Steve, When we met him he was sitting behind his desk. Christina introduced us, stating that this was our 4th year in a row at the Santa Maria and he couldn't even extend the courtesy of standing up to shake our hand. Since I know that customer service starts at the top, I can see why they now seem to be lacking it this year. I was surprised to hear that he has been the manager for longer than we having been coming to the Santa Maria. Perhaps he's burnt out, or worn out like the appearance of the rooms.
This is a "Fabulous" hotel in desperate need of a touch up. We thought that Santa Maria was going to be a yearly tradition, but after our last stay, it's not likely.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that back Front St. especially unit 4
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunsetFlyGirl
SantaMariaGM, General Manager at Santa Maria Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,
Thank you for your comments and really appreciate your years of business.

I apologize that you could not give us a better rating. I thought we had a very good conversation at your departure and your stay was wonderful.

I upgraded you to a pool-view suite prior to your arrival based on your loyalty to the Santa Maria Suites. I tried to call you after your post but you did not have time to talk with me...and you did not answer after that.

If you give the Santa Maria Suites and I another chance, I would encourage you to call me directly for your next reservation.

Again and the Santa Maria staff and I would love for you to give us another opportunity and hopefully you will at your next visit to Key West.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Me and my son stayed over during a long weekend. Service was excellent and very helpful. The suite was in excellent condition with all what you would need. The location is convenient and in walking distance to down town.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for your comments and really appreciate your business. We are glad you had a nice stay and hope you return….soon!

Thank you for your 5 Star rating!!!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our pool view 2 bedroom suite at the Santa Maria was lovely,very clean,
and we definitely enjoyed our stay,we are looking forward to our return to Santa Maria Suites.
Staff were all friendly,and Christine at the front desk is terrific with any requests.
Also enjoyed the 2 saline pools along with the lush landscaping.
Very convenient parking too.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for your nice comments concerning Christine's efforts ...and the 5 Star rating!

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with Friends (2 couples) in a 2 bedroom suite...2 floors, 2.5 bath, modern, clean, we were very impressed! The pool was so nice and relaxing. Free happy hour from 4-530 which we was a pleasant surprise! Location was perfect. We would all recommend this hotel in a second. We loved our stay!

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for the 5 Star rating ...and glad you enjoyed our Happy Hour party at the pool!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here just for an overnight but would have loved to have had the time to stay longer. From check in to check out we couldn't fault either the accommodation or the staff. So lovely and helpful and friendly. The suite was beautiful! My husband and I stayed there with my sister and brother-in-law and had 2 beautiful bedrooms (both ensuite) upstairs and the living area and kitchen (beautifully equipped and stocked) downstairs. We had a lovely pool view. The kitchen had coffee, muffins, ice cream and chocolates for turn down. This just made our stay in Key West super special. Thanks especially to Christiana (hope I got that right) for all of her assistance and banter. Can't recommend this highly enough. Really top class luxury. No sea view but only a few steps to the ocean.

Room Tip: Ours was great. Pool view and bi-level
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank the2happywanderers

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for the 5 Star rating as well as naming Christina in your comments...our staff likes to see their name in print for their efforts.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Thank you Santa Maria Suites for a wonderful week!!! Here you will find 1 and 2 bedroom suites. They are actually small apartments, complete with a fully equipped kitchen and laundry room. Each bedroom has it's own bathroom. The rooms and grounds are beautiful and maintained top notch. Plenty of parking Happy Hour by the pool, muffins in the morning, chocolate at night are only a few wonderful treats waiting for you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

Thank you for the 5 Star rating!!!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 3rd anniversary and this little hotel was fantastic! The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated and there was PLENTY of space. I would recommend this place to everyone looking for a nice place to stay in Key West. Staff was very nice as well! Location is very close to the southernmost point, but far from where people go for the sunsets.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Santa Maria Suites Guest,

And ...thank you for the 5 Star rating!