“1st time stay great, 2nd time.... Eh”
Review of Caribbean House

Caribbean House
Ranked #55 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I will say, I like this place overall. My 2nd visit, I'm leaving a little annoyed. I come to key west to relax, eat, drink and sleep. I do not enjoy being woken up to loud noises above me. The owners live above the hotel, I know they have lots to do to keep up with the hotel, but consideration needs to take place with the paying customers below them. Sounded like the were moving furniture. Also. When I rebooked for my 2nd trip, I requested the same room and with email confirmation said I would have it. That didn't happen. The owner, Marie, was very accommodating with our a/c and with our broken fridge, they were fixed and replaced. I stay here because its cheap and you get what you pay for, I guess. I would probably try to stay here again, if i brin the dogs but not if I want to sleep in the mornings.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank hideacue
There are newer reviews for Caribbean House

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I have had the pleasure of staying at Caribbean house for last few years, every year they keep making it better and better. This year they installed central type air conditioning, as well as painting the rooms, redoing the rooms. Michel and Marie go overboard to make your stay a memory that you always will remember and you leave wanting to came back. They are dog friendly without extra charges, my dog chewed the blinds so we paid for them, if your dog cannot be alone without chewing things up, bring them. Next time my little dog will not get to visit. the guesthouse is three blocks from all the partying on Duvall, not to far to crawl,haha. Thank You for all your generosity and GOD bless.

Room Tip: NO POOL on site a walk away from the beach, or few blocks from city pool witch is five star as well...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our two night stay during the Key West Bacchanalia festival was very enjoyable. The owners were very helpful and were there in a heartbeat to help us with an air conditioning issue. I would HIGHLY reccomend staying here if you OK with a smaller room. The smaller room size was more than made up for by the quality of the service and the reasonable price we paid. Excellent restaurant right across the street for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lazlow11
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is a nice, dog-friendly guest house in the heart of the city. There is off-street parking available, a big plus when you are this close to Duval. The room was very clean, but also very small. The shower was barely big enough to turn around in, and the A/C was not too efficient. The owners live upstairs, and are very friendly and helpful. There is no pool, but we were not expecting or needing one. Considering the location, the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: The stairs are rather steep, so get a ground floor room if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bern666
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We just spent 3 nights here and couldn't be happier. The owners, Marie and Michel live on site and do all the maintenance and cleaning. The property is spotless, rooms charming, and location perfect. It's just a couple blocks from Duval on a nice, quiet street. The value is unbelievable, best in Key West. We brought our bikes and all attractions are just a few minutes away. The rooms are all the same size with twins or queen beds. We won't stay anywhere else in Key West again!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1 which is next to the office on the bottom floor. Nice and quiet and next to the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cheryl G
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I would normally have given this a 3 but because it was just what we needed and was as expected based on Tripadvisor reviews I gave it a 4. I am a timeshare owner with Hyatt and had reservations at the Sunset Harbor for my mother-in -law (who is normally our dog sitter when we go on vacation) and my nephew and his friends. The Hyatt timeshares are not pet friendly so my wife and I needed a reasonably priced pet friendly place within walking distance of the Hyatt Sunset Harbor. That does not leave many choices. The Westin next door to the Hyatt Sunset Harbor is pet friendly but at $250/night or more plus taxes and an $85 pet fee, that blew my budget. Caribbean House was $119/night plus taxes and nothing extra for a pet! Caribbean House is a pleasant 1/2 mile walk to the Sunset Harbor (less to Duval st.), and the rooms are as advertised (small, clean enough with good proximity to Duval st.), the neighborhood is a mix, nice shops, Johnson's grocery next door and places to eat (Blue Heaven) close by. But be advised, there are some sketchy areas close by that appear to be run down homes and Section 8 federally subsidized apartments where young able bodied adults were hanging out on porches doing nothing every time I walked by except maybe drinking. We were not bothered by anyone at all. Except we did see a local guy one day at 11am urinating in the middle of the sidewalk (he was so wasted I do not think he saw us even though I stared in disbelief/disgust from about 5 feet away).I would not be surprised to see the same thing on Duval St. but that would be at 2 am! I am not trying to steer you away, just saying be prepared, like many tourist destinations, in Key West once you get away from the main drag, things change quickly.
The owners were very pleasant and helpful, one day I decided to rent a car at the airport to drive out to stock island and around the Key West (it was $46/day compared to $180 day for a electric car, plus it saved me cab fare to the airport), the parking spots in front of the hotel were full but Marie not only told me where I could park she walked down the street with me to be sure I was in a spot the police told her was OK.
The reviews I read spell things out accurately on other things so I will not repeat them, but I will emphasize that the AC is extremely noisy so bring ear plugs, and the rooms are very small, so are the bathrooms especially the showers. The owners dogs will not bother you even if you have a dog, unless you ask them to!

Room Tip: There is no real view so I suggest a room in the back away from the street. Just be sure to reserve...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kmartinncemc
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Key West and absolutely loved the place!

The room: the room we had was comfy, it had a twin bed, a fridge (highly appreciated), air con, toilets and shower. The real plus was the view from the balcony! Directly in the heart of the beautiful Bahamian village.

The owner of the house (a French couple) are very friendly and happy to discuss with you. The also provide great coffee for free! If you need a can of coke or anything, they sell them for only 1 USD!

The location is perfect, you're only 2-3 minutes away from busy Duval Street, 5 minutes from the beautiful Fort Zachary sandy beach. You are also right next to the famous Blue Heaven, reknowed for its amazing breakfasts!

We were able to park for free for our whole stay, next to the house, which is appreciated!

To sum up, friendly landlords, perfect location, nice rooms, we will come again someday ;)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family