“Very good salsa and margaritas!”

Old Town Mexican Cafe
Ranked #119 of 447 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were craving nachos late one evening and knew where this place was, so we went. It wasn't bad. Although I found it kind of odd that we were informed at the entrance before we were ever seated that we couldn't separate checks (we were a party of 2 couples). I also found it odd when they brought us a small basket of chips and a little bowl of salsa and told us that the first one was complimentary and we would have to pay for the next one if we wanted more. The chips and salsa were very good though! Very fresh! Kind of Pico-de-Gallo style. But it still struck me as odd! I guess I'm used to our Mexican food places back home that have unlimited free chips and salsa.

It's an open-air, outdoor dining place with festive decor. The margaritas were good and the food was okay. We ordered an appetizer of nachos which was pretty tasty and the others in my group ordered additional entrees, which they all said were very spicy. And it was stuff that you wouldn't think would be terribly spicy hot. All-in-all, it was an okay place. Nothing to write home about, but not inedible either.

There are newer reviews for Old Town Mexican Cafe

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The restaurant has a nice outdoor patio right on Duval Street so you can watch people go by (and ohhh the people you'll see!). The food was ok, conch fritters were really chewy. I know it's a Mexican restaurant, but there was an overwhelming pile of red onion on every dish we ordered (even the ones that didn't list them as an ingredient). A little pricier for lunch than a lot of the nearby restaurants.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We love Mexican and search it out in every town we visit. Let me first say that I have never written a review on any place before but I could not in good conscience let others spend their hard earned money on food this bad. We were with friends that had eaten there several times in past years and said they loved it. They were as dissatisfied as we were. The waiter was disconnected and informed us we couldn't separate checks. Then brought us a basket of chips and a little bowl of salsa and stated that we would have to pay for the next one if we wanted more.I will say that the chips and salsa were fresh. Our friends ordered some cheese concaso and they brought it out with no chips. It tasted like pasty chicken broth. I don't think there was any cheese involved in it's preparation.The waiter brought us our food and never checked back through the entire meal to see if the food was ok or if we needed another drink. The food all tasted the same it was unseasoned and very bland except for the extreme taste of chili powder. The check for 3 meals with an appetizer was $80. Worst dining experience on the island for us.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Good shellfish, burrito, snapper, tortilla soup . Place was packed on Friday night but we were seated right away. We got a pitcher of key lime margaritas. Good server. Didn't expect to find such good Mexican (Veracruz) food in Key West.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We walked up and no one greeted us. We walked all the way to the back of the restaurant to a guy sitting on a chair just staring at us. He acted like he didn't know what we were doing there and then when we said we wanted to eat he said he was just the bartender. The food was unremarkable. We got the seafood burrito and also the salmon and spinach burrito. No great shakes. Unseasoned. Just like something you could make at home but cost about $16.00 each. We gave our credit card to our server to check out and when that was taking forever we looked back only to find her chatting it up with another employee. What the hey?? No customer service, unfriendly and definitely not worth the price. We hated that we picked this dump. At least we're locals and know not to return. Good luck tourists! Lupitas on Bertha Street by Shanna Key is way less expensive and way more authentic.