“Fair and average -- great location”
Review of Cayo Hueso Resorts

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cayo Hueso Resorts
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We really wanted to like this place, and for the most part the cottage and our stay were fine and relaxing. There was something kind of off about it though.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom cottage with living room and kitchen, 1 bath. Although a little cramped, the layout was pretty good for us -- we were with our 5 year old and our infant son, and we were able to room with our son with the portable crib mostly in the closet of the bedroom and our daughter had the LR couch. The main point for us was to have some doors to close.

The chief problem was that the A/C unit in the living room was broken, working sporadically and very difficult to control. One night it got stuck on freezing, then our only option was to turn it all the way off, so our daughter was baking, and we had to open the door to the bedroom to give her a comfortable temperature. That of course made having a door to close beside the point. The owner Joyce's response to our complain was kind of weak, she really didn't go out of her way at all to do anything for us -- she sort of shrugged and said the A/C needed to be replaced, that she planned to do it when the season was slower. Umm, thanks, but where does that leave us?

The cottage as a whole was fine, pretty much clean, although there was a strange smell, kind of like urine mixed with strong cleanser?, when we first checked in. I got used to it and just assumed it was some kind of high-strength cleaner they had used before we got there. The pool was quite nice, and it was great to have nearly sole use of it (4 cottages seem to share it, and only 3 seemed to be occupied during our stay).

The small private deck attached to our unit was occupied by a maintenance/cleaning team doing some repairs the first day mid-morning, when we had hoped to sit outside while our son napped. It wasn't possible to do this because the employees were kind of all spread out in that space, although we made it clear we wanted to use it.

Cayo Hueso was not luxury, but the price you are paying is for the location, which is indeed great, just steps from Duval Street (and the quiet end), and for a relaxed and comfortable lodging. I can kind of see how the owner earned the comments about her being disorganized and a less-than-optimal manager in the two other negative reviews here. I'm mainly puzzled about how the reviews here tipped so starkly positive -- we are pretty laid back and don't need luxury in a place, but for some reason our experience here was less than stellar, and it seems like that wasn't matched in very many people's experiences of this place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank bayleaf71
There are newer reviews for Cayo Hueso Resorts

Reviewed April 22, 2012

A large group stayed at a Cayo Hueso cottage for the weekend. I dont think I have a single complaint. The house was absolutely amazing - very spacious, fully equipped and stocked. Everyone loved it. Joyce was really nice, really responsive and very helpful . The location is great- right by Duval street. (however, all the bars are on the opposite side of duval)

I will stay there every time I go to key west and recommend to everyone..

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank trs09g
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I've stayed at this property for the past 10yrs- most of it at the big house but last yr we stayed at the smaller pink house b/c we didn't need as much room. Joyce has always been awesome to work with, treating us like family and Olga is phenomenal! She checks in with me throughout the year to confirm dates and accomodation needs, provides a great welcome basket as well as other goodies in the fridge upon our arrival, is very flexible to work with, and always quick to answer any requests or assist in any way. This is always the first place I recommend to anyone who asks about places to stay in Key West.

It truly feels like my island home!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Michelle_Bubs
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We are currently staying here (2nd year in a row), and it's perfect! We have a group of 15 and are using the entire compound. Very classy! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sally G
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I booked all 4 of the Cottages for a large group I was staying with after the Ragnar Relay. It was perfect! The place was clean, the fridge was stocked with snacks, water, and beer and there was plenty of coffee. We spent a lot of time sitting around the pool area talking.... As we stayed in January, I wasn't expecting to need a suit (it had been cold in Florida in the week before our stay) but the pool was heated and got a lot of use by the guys in our group. I cannot think of one thing I would change about our stay. Would absolutely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colette T
Reviewed April 5, 2011

First, I have never taken the time to write a review because until none have been worth taking the time. I have stayed in 5 star resorts and dives as well, lived in Hawaii, visited the Virgin Islands, Bahamas and many other locations and Cayo Hueso stands out above them all.
We stayed in the pink 2 bedroom cottage and well, it was just perfect. A complimentary welcome basket was provided with snacks and the fridge was stocked with bottled water, soda and beer. We stopped in Key Largo on the way in for groceries and found that many necessities like coffee, sugar for coffee, paper towels, etc were already there.
Olga, the housekeeper, kept our refrigerator stocked, tried to wash our dishes (we denied it) and even folded our laundry!
Joyce came by on our second day to ensure that we were satisfied and that we had everything we needed.
I really cannot say enough about it and if we don't move to Key West first, we will return to Cayo Hueso again...and we are the types that prefer to stay at different places to have multiple experiences; this however, is the exception.

• Stayed: March 2011
9  Thank tcguy64
Reviewed February 20, 2011

This was our second of what we hope to be many visits to Cayo Hueso. The cottages are in a perfect location for a family. The gated in compound gives the visitor a sense of security and privacy. The private pools are surrounded by mature landscaping. Having a deck, grill, and kitchen gave us many more options for dining than a Hotel or B&B would have. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family