“A Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #49 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Terre Haute, Indiana
“A Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed March 30, 2006

I must admit I was somewhat unsure of what to expect from an unknown Bed and Breakfast on my visit to Key West, especially since I was staying for over a week. However, I was pleasantly surprised during my stay. Granted my room was small but as a single traveler it was more than adequate. At $119.00 per night it was an unbelievable bargain considering the Old Town location between Duval and Whitehead Streets and only four blocks from Mallory Square and within walking distance of the all the major hotspots! The owners, Helena and Stuart, made me feel like an old friend and always had time to stop and chat. And what can I say about the housekeeper and parttime manager Lucia. She is so pleasant I have never seen someone smile as much as she did.

The breakfast time is so great, not so much for the food (which was adequate), but for the opportunity to chat with fellow travelers. In the week I was there I met a couple from Canada, two couples from France, a couple that had just moved to the US from Russia,a mother and daughter from London England and other assorted US residents. Don't just eat and run, you will miss a great opportunity to "network" with other travelers and discuss what to see and do in Key West.

Just one note of warning make your reservations early, most of the people who stay at L'Habitation are return visitors, I know I'll be!!

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank PT4485

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
CT
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed at L'habitacion. It's on Eaton Street (which is the main road to/from the airport), and it's just a 1/2 block off of Duval. It's about a five minute walk from Mallory Square, and about a 10 minute walk to the Southernmost Point. It's "in the middle of it all" but without the commotion of being RIGHT on Duval Street and in a nice neighborhood.
No pool. Our room, #17, was $119 per night. A BARGAIN FOR THE AREA! It was VERY small with a queen size bed. The bathroom was a good size w/ plenty of room for your stuff, and the shower pressure was great (this matters to me!). PRIVATE ENTRANCE - which was very fun. It was not fancy, but it was very clean. We were only there to sleep, shower and get ready to head out! We had a "private" porch in back that we shared with one other room - room #18 (also a private entrance - meaning you don't have to go in the main house) - #18 looked like a nice room - hardwood floors, big couch, coffee table, and room to walk around. There are lots of windows and there are blinds that make it almost too easy to see into the rooms. But alas, it's Key West - so nobody cares! Also, the front porch is a great place to sit and relax.
No real parking (I guess there is free parking 2 blocks away). Continental breakfast included consisted of OJ, hard-boiled eggs, Croissants, cereal, french bread, fruit, and coffee.
It was perfect for 3 nights. Staying longer? Get a place w/ a pool since the beach is so far away. We were with a group, so we had even less "down time," so we didn't miss the pool. Marrero's, behind L'habitation, has a pool (CLOTHING OPTIONAL), and some friends stayed there and liked it.

6 Thank chriswifect