“Easy Access & Comfort”
Review of L'Habitation

L'Habitation
Ranked #49 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We were very pleased with our stay. The owners were friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. The house is right off of Duvall and within really easy access to the actoin of Key West but just far enough away that it's quiet.

The only caution we have is that the shower in our room was INCREDIBLY tiny. My husband is 6'2" and the shower head was below his chest and he only had a couple of inches clearance on each side when staning inside. We were only there for two nights so it was no big deal but it would get annoying for a long stay.

• Stayed: May 2004, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 1, 2008

We stayed at l'Habitation B&B the week before Christmas 2007. The guesthouse is fantastic - large, clean rooms/excellent hosts/excellent value/excellent breakfast and above all, amazing location less than one block from Duval St and everything within walking distance. Would we stay here again - absolutely! We liked it so much we stayed for an extra night.

One tip which may help anyone visiting in December - there is no charge for the parking meters for the 10 days leading up to Christmas. Not that there is any way of knowing - that was just one useful tip given to us by the very helpful staff at l'Habitation.

Thanks to everyone who made our trip so enjoyable.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 19, 2007

I have been staying with Stuart & Helene at L'Hab for at least 10 years now. One cannot ask for a better location & value. 3/4 block off Duval & a short walk to the most popular spots on the Island.

In addition, you are staying in a charming period building B & B which is the only way to stay in Key West. L'Hab is clean, comfortable & well maintained. Intimate places like this are what Key West is all about. Meeting your fellow guests at breakfast is a special treat as well.

Stu & Helene are always gracious and have welcomed me as a friend over the years. I'm always made to feel at home and miss being there when I am back in 'the real world'. It will be a sad day if I ever have to replace L'Hab & Stu/Helene.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DDayMiami
Reviewed July 19, 2007

location is perfect
owners are so nice. The lady is french, and her husband american.

rooms are charming
Great place to stay in Key west
good breakfast

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrenchTrotteuse
Reviewed May 15, 2006

We had a really hard time finding a hotel, as we were late in looking for one (we called the same day), they were really nice and gave us a big discount on their king-size bedroom... when we asked if we could stay a second night, they arranged something with other guests, so that we didn't have to look somewhere else for a hotelroom. The woman at the reception was really helpful, as we arrived after 10 p.m., she just put our keys in an envelope and we could arrive whenever we wanted. The breakfast was really good, freshly baked croissants, muffins, cereals, tea, coffee, orange juice and eggs. It was on the top of the house, so you could sit outside and have your breakfast, awesome !
The woman also gave us some good hints about parking (the meters are just too expensive, 25cents for 10minutes...), so try to park on Elizabeth St. , normally there you can park for free! The Guesthouse is just off Duval Street, so you're nearby the shops and the restaurants, and still it's not too noisy... although we had some drunk guys who slept on the porch, so that was a little annoying... (but normal for Key West unfortunately) if you're a light sleeper just ask for a room in the back, which we had the second night, it was a little bit smaller (but still big) and there was no noise at all... the rooms are all redone, they have a fridge, a tv, a little couch and a bed, which was really comfortable!

I ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND this hotel, it was a great stay, just don't forget that it is a B&B and not a Sheraton-Hotel

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank Chiquita50
Reviewed April 26, 2006

My fiance and I went to Key West this past weekend, our first time there.
We had some confusion with reservations when his sister booked us at L'Habitation, a B&B located on Eaton Street, without us knowing. We had already booked ourselves at the Shearaton Suites, with another couple. When we called the owner of L'Habitation, Stewart, to explain the issue he was very upset with us. Rather than being understanding and accomodating, as you would expect in the hospitality industry, he maintained an attitude and told us to go ahead and stay at the Sheraton, but we would still be charged for the entire stay and we may has well bring our sister and mother with us to stay there.

We did not want to cause more issues for his sister, so we decided to stay there despite the confusion and rudeness... after all, it's just a place to lay our heads and we hoped for a better experience when we actually arrived there.

When we arrived, Steward did not offer to help us with our luggage. The room, 17, was as bare as you could get - not one photo or mirror on the walls and no table space for your personal items. The thing that really took the cake: the shower curtain was stained with what looked like blood stains and shredded at the bottom. The chambermaid insisted that it wasn't a blood stain, because the owner would be very particular about that. The point is: it was STAINED, if they are that particular, they would not skimp on replacing a $2 shower curtain!!!! Horrible, Horrible, Horrible.

Their "wonderful continental breakfast" didn't start until 9 am, and consisted of cereal, coffee and croissants. When another guest asked where the coffee was, Stewart abruptly pointed down the hallway as though the guest should have known where it was.

Not sure when the offices are actually staffed there - there was never anyone around when we wanted to ask for information about the local area.

Despite the stay at L'Habitation, we loved Key West and we are looking forward to going back and staying somewhere the guests are appreciated.

We will NOT recommend L'Habitation to anyone.

6  Thank sun4shore
Lhab, Owner at L'Habitation, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2010

For 5 yrs. now, I have let my other reviews speak for themselves. I feel it is time to respond to this persons review. She had reserved multiple rooms for multiple days, 20% of my inventory of rooms, well in advance. We were fully booked for that time period and had turned down many requests for rooms at that time. She called on the day of arrival to cancel. Our cancellation policy is clearly stated on her confirmation, had she canceled appropriately, there would have been a $25 cancel feeonly. We are a small family owned/operated guesthouse, not a national chain with multiple outlets and hundreds of rooms. The hotel she wanted to stay with her family was 5 miles from downtown Key West, we are 1/2 block away from this part og Key West. I believe this type of traveler should stay at a national chain with all the amenities they offer, ie: concierge service, bell desk, and 24hr front desk. We are not this type of hotel, and glad to be what we are. Again, I let the other 25 reviews of L'habitation Guesthouse speak for us. We have recently up-graded all of our rooms, and have held prices the same for 3 yrs. now. I guess it is impossible to please, although we try very hard to do this. all the people all the time.

Reviewed March 30, 2006

I must admit I was somewhat unsure of what to expect from an unknown Bed and Breakfast on my visit to Key West, especially since I was staying for over a week. However, I was pleasantly surprised during my stay. Granted my room was small but as a single traveler it was more than adequate. At $119.00 per night it was an unbelievable bargain considering the Old Town location between Duval and Whitehead Streets and only four blocks from Mallory Square and within walking distance of the all the major hotspots! The owners, Helena and Stuart, made me feel like an old friend and always had time to stop and chat. And what can I say about the housekeeper and parttime manager Lucia. She is so pleasant I have never seen someone smile as much as she did.

The breakfast time is so great, not so much for the food (which was adequate), but for the opportunity to chat with fellow travelers. In the week I was there I met a couple from Canada, two couples from France, a couple that had just moved to the US from Russia,a mother and daughter from London England and other assorted US residents. Don't just eat and run, you will miss a great opportunity to "network" with other travelers and discuss what to see and do in Key West.

Just one note of warning make your reservations early, most of the people who stay at L'Habitation are return visitors, I know I'll be!!

• Stayed: March 2006