“Will not return”

The Southernmost House
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Our first trip to Key west and this place was a dump, very nice outside but, dirty rooms, very noisy, give different room then booked, ants, extra charges, wrong size bed, coffee maker dirty pot so put on dirty food tray, we return that night and they put the exact same nasty dirty coffee pot back in the coffee maker. You book a courtyard room king bed, yet get a street view queen room, they gave us a king room for 2 nights then moved us back to the first room guess what? Both rooms just as dirty, the house keeping is so lazy they cannot even clean the floors.... no lie... wear your shoes or your feet will get dirty. Also street room? Really.... let me explain that if I pay for a courtyard view room which overlooks a courtyard not a street then that is what I paid for and should get..... I booked and paid for a courtyard and received a street view bottom of the barrel room. When you enter you will be focused on the aspect of the home and property.... do not let this lead you away from paying attention to a dirty hotel. Check room, very dusty and dirty, I complained and front desk admitted the problem, though sad when I check reviews I see this is a common problem... I mean seriously just look at even the ac vent (covered in dust) , Water pressure very low, not good hot water, 90% of shower time is cold water and do not let them lie to you that you are showering when others are.... trust me no one else is showering at 1am same time as you.

Kids are not allowed however a lady and her kids came in when we checked in just so they could look around, I kid you not when I say the innkeeper? pretty much yelled at the lady snippy that no kids are allowed, yes this may be but the lady did not know that and they had no right to speak to her in that tone of voice.

Housekeeping came to our room the 2nd from last day at around 4:30pm, "you need housekeeping" My reply, yes please... they do not speak English so they have no clue what you want, keep things short like "no clean" "towels" etc.... I am not kidding here.

Out of everyone at this hotel "Mike" the outside bartender was the best and most professional, everyone else in my personal opinion that works daily at this hotel should be retrained and put on watch to fix the problems as they are running this place into the ground.

The place is falling apart, you can tell that there has not been much further updates lately, the pool deck you can trip on as the pavers are sinking into the ground. Birds poop all over the pool deck for you to step in and they bath in the pool with you.

You will get no sleep in this place, doors get slammed all day and night long, upstairs people above you stomp their feet on the floor and you cannot sleep.

Bedding had stains on it.

Robes in one room but not the other.

Seating, in the first room the chairs had lots of filling gone from them and needed to be fixed as you could not sit in them, chair in bathroom the wood back was broken and falling apart.

Forget about wifi, none of them are strong and always drop out, and this is nothing new, there are tons of other reviews that confirm this problem as well as confirm most of my problems we had with our stay, sort through them all and you will find other customer explaining the exact same problems, $1300+ for 4 nights and this is what we got.

They charge you up front and then charge you again when you leave stating the first is an authorization, possibly so but know that because if they do this means you are nothing just say paying $1000 up front but also another $1000 on check out meaning if the first auth has not already gone back in you are now out double at $2000 until it goes back in.

It really is a shame to have to write a review like this but the customers and the owners need to know what is truly going on at this hotel.

Another thing I question and this is my opinion as no way for me to prove but the free breakfast worried me, every morning the cheese tray would get less and less, same as the eggs.... this almost suggested they were reusing the same things from the day(s) before that had sat out for the entire morning..... we were there for July 4th and the cheese platter was outside for at min 3 hours or longer in the heat.... yet it seemed possibly the same one next morning for breakfast..... for everyone's sake I hope this was just me thinking and was not what was actually going on however the picture that every morning there is less and less cheese and eggs seems to suggest it is. Next the "fresh pastries" from the french place every morning, these are delivered to the front door of the hotel and sit out wide open not covered until someone from the hotel brings them in (I have pictures) I went to this place and they (at night) sell discount pastries...... now when you eat and stay for at least 3 days you will notice that every single day the amount and the type of pastries changes..... take note that if you go to the actually bakery that makes and sells them that in their store it is always the same type and amounts, this possibly suggests that this hotel is getting day old or older pastries and that is your "fresh breakfast"...... The bakery that makes them at night has the sale prices and you can see the bugs sitting/flying around them....... I actually got sick while there, I cannot confirm it was from any of this food but I also cannot deny it either.

In regards to the extra charges, almost $60.00, the guy at the front desk at checkout stated if they clear to let them know and they would be removed..... I should not even have to go there as they never should have been charged..... extra fees not authorized.

In my opinion I actually borderline this hotel as one of the dirtiest I have stayed at no joke, I stayed once at a interstate side $40/night hotel on a trip in the past and it was cleaner than this place.

The only thing that makes me further angry than all the above problems is there is no one we could speak to about this hotel and our stay other then people at the front desk... so this seems like our only way to contact someone higher up at this hotel as the "innkeeper" is no help and this needs brought up above her.

The people from "Fury" that work that corner are allowed parking at the lopez house and they "DO" take customer parking spots preventing you from parking there.

Another problem are the people they let in that are not staying at the hotel, there was a group there one afternoon after a long day out we came back and wanted nothing more then a relaxing swim in the pool, instead there were drunk younger people there that every other word was "F" this and "F" that, very loud in general as well.... the first night we could not even go in the pool as there were wedding guests there that pretty much prevent your use of the pool.

I can only hope that the owners of these hotels actually care about what is going on, as this is just horrible in regards to our stay. When I went online to search I wanted a lower amount of customers hotel such as a bed and breakfast, I turned down many other hotels for this one which now I wish I would have never done. If this were my hotel I would be utterly embarrassed by this this review as to have a customer feel this way is not good and sheds a very bad image on the company.

There are many things that are problems as read above which some can be taken care of, however..... there is no reason what so ever for dirty rooms in a hotel.

I read many reviews before I choose this hotel, I however did not make enough of a connection to see all the problems, I can confirm all problems above now that many other customers have complained about the same.

One thing to also further note is whatever rooms and rates you see on their website, the people at the actual hotel front desk cannot see, so if the rates are different online then they on the phone ask you what the rate is as they cannot see it.

In terms of the breakfast food again those are my opinions, but I can confirm that the morning "fresh pastries" sit outside on the porch in the mornings in 90+ deg heat and note some of these are cheese and meat....

Room Tip: "Add a tip to help travelers choose a good room" ----- Choose a different hotel! That is m...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Joe K
Jason C, Manager at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Joe K,

Thank you for your review. I apologize that your stay warranted a review like this as we intend for all of our guests to have positive memorable experiences at the Southernmost House. I have sent you an email as well to follow up. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so that we may discuss, my direct contact is below.

All the best,

Jason Carter
305-280-0200
jasoncarter@remingtonhotels.com

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I stayed only one night but we really enjoyed the quality of the rooms and the service of the staff. This is a quite relaxing place. The heated pool is wonderful and not not crowded. Breakfast was great and again not crowded. Another nice feature is the location. On Duval but quiet and within walking distance to hype and hoopla. Like everything in Key West it's pricy. But as they say in NS,if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Erich,

It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation at the Southernmost House. I am so pleased that you loved the rooms, breakfast, location and especially the staff. We are here to make sure you are having the best time. We look forward to having you back some day.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We highly recommend this B&B - rooms are gorgeous and spacious, tranquil property and a very nice and pleasant staff! Giovanni at the check-in desk, recommended restaurants and made reservations for us, also had a taxi pick us up! We will most definitely, be coming back very soon!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Egomez1,

Thank you for your kind words on your fabulous vacation! I am so happy to hear how great your trip was and how helpful Giovanni was for you. Please come back and see us on your next visit to Key West!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Although I haven't had the pleasure of staying in the main house, I really didn't see many problems with the Lopez House. My biggest complain would have to be the spotty internet service; most of the time there was no service. We had a lovely balcony outside our room with a view of the water. Walking across the street for breakfast was no big deal, and the breakfast was wonderful!! The pool area outside the back door is a postcard...beautiful!! The location is nice because it's fairly quiet, but you can easily walk down Duval Street to join the party there. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Key West.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear TravelerSkier,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed your time in Key West and at the Lopez House. I appreciate you letting me know about the wifi issues and I will have this addressed immediately. Feel free to reach out to me for future accommodations.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night last November(spent most of my Keys vacation this time around in Marathon). The hammock was my favorite spot to be. Seriously it is what I picture heaven to be like and wanted to cry when I left it. Wish I could have spent more time there. The small number of rooms on this property, I felt really relaxed as there were not many people in the pool or around. Love the Victorian meets Key West look of the house and although it is the type of place that is out of my budget, I am glad I splurged to experience this historical property. The room was really nice and we could see the ocean from our window. Beautiful bathroom. Close enough to the downtown action but none of the noise and we could store our bikes in the parking area. The breakfast was the only thing I would suggest they improve on and if there is someway they can make it so guests can access the water from the property, I would stay here every time! Definitely recommend this property as part of your Key West experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear WanderlustKelly,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time on vacation at the Southernmost House. Yes, the hammock is the best seat in the house! We look forward to hosting you again some day when you are ready for some more R & R.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

But it wasn't! When we checked in the room we paid for was not available in the main house. They put us across the street. We had a view of the side heard and street instead of the ocean. That evening after dinner we went back to our room to discover that the room was flooded with light. There was a transom window over the door that wasn't covered and the porch light flooded in. The other side of the room was we'll it by flood lights from outdoors. After a night with no sleep we were offered a room in the main house. When you have four nights repacking and again unpacking is NOT the way you want to spend the day! However, sleep at any price, we took it. Much to our dismay there was light coming in from the transom over the door in this room too. So two strikes, having to move and unable to sleep.
The saving grace was that the pool was clean, not crowded, the area was quiet and peaceful. Quite lovely too. As it should be for the price, this is not a cheap B&B. By the way, I would call this a rather not too special boutique hotel, not a B&B. Although breakfast is served there is no innkeeper to be found, a requirement for a decent B&B.

Room Tip: If you drink enough to knock you out at night you might love it here. Otherwise pack blackout curtai...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deb H

Dear Deb,

I apologize for the light situation causing you to have your sleep disrupted. I appreciate your comments so that we may be able to look further into this situation and correct it. I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the peacefulness of the pool as this is one of our most wonderful assets on our property. Please feel free to reach out to me for anything and if you are interested in staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Most of my negative posts get hacked in "editing", funyy how long winded the gushy ones are...but hey I'm an optimist...

This place regulary promises a room and switches at check in. Several other reviews claim that experience, as we did first hand for our reservation. We witnessed three other couples with the same issue over the next two days.

How can this place be catagorized as a B&B? Its barely a small hotel. There was no "owner" present as I understand it's owned by a corp that owns most of everything around duval and south st. The management responses to post are only for the positive responses by someone who claims to be the "inkeeper".

I did enjoy the pool, clean and well maintained. though wish the barkeep was a little more interested in selling me drinks and less enamored with her I-pad. The staff, save those at reception, were all hard working and pleasant. .. though you got the feeling that they knew that they were being watched.

In all fairness, the place is pretty, if disfunctional. Be warned, though the place is a respite from the noise...The blazing lights designed to highlight the architecture stay on all night. Every room has a window or transome that ensures enough light infiltration to disturb the sleep of all but the most inebriated. I heard two comments to the same effect by customers checking out. When we said the same thing to the same clerk (clerk, not inkeeper), the third day, the response... oh, no one has ever said that before. Really, I asked. No response.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snuggs5500
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear snuggs5500,

I appreciate your comments on your recent stay at the Southernmost House and sincerely apologize for not having the pleasure of meeting you during your stay with us. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience but I will absolutely take into consideration your comments to ensure the improvement of these items. It is our mission to show our guests that our property possesses a unique and charming experience that sets us aside from other Key West properties. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your time in Key West. Please feel free to reach out to me for any assistance in the future if you do decide to visit Key West again. I would be happy to assist you in any way.