“A Place to Return to”

Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“A Place to Return to”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Although I haven't had the pleasure of staying in the main house, I really didn't see many problems with the Lopez House. My biggest complain would have to be the spotty internet service; most of the time there was no service. We had a lovely balcony outside our room with a view of the water. Walking across the street for breakfast was no big deal, and the breakfast was wonderful!! The pool area outside the back door is a postcard...beautiful!! The location is nice because it's fairly quiet, but you can easily walk down Duval Street to join the party there. We will definitely stay here again when we return to Key West.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2014
Dear TravelerSkier,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay. I am so happy that you enjoyed your time in Key West and at the Lopez House. I appreciate you letting me know about the wifi issues and I will have this addressed immediately. Feel free to reach out to me for future accommodations.

Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Collingswood
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night last November(spent most of my Keys vacation this time around in Marathon). The hammock was my favorite spot to be. Seriously it is what I picture heaven to be like and wanted to cry when I left it. Wish I could have spent more time there. The small number of rooms on this property, I felt really relaxed as there were not many people in the pool or around. Love the Victorian meets Key West look of the house and although it is the type of place that is out of my budget, I am glad I splurged to experience this historical property. The room was really nice and we could see the ocean from our window. Beautiful bathroom. Close enough to the downtown action but none of the noise and we could store our bikes in the parking area. The breakfast was the only thing I would suggest they improve on and if there is someway they can make it so guests can access the water from the property, I would stay here every time! Definitely recommend this property as part of your Key West experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear WanderlustKelly,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your time on vacation at the Southernmost House. Yes, the hammock is the best seat in the house! We look forward to hosting you again some day when you are ready for some more R & R.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2014

But it wasn't! When we checked in the room we paid for was not available in the main house. They put us across the street. We had a view of the side heard and street instead of the ocean. That evening after dinner we went back to our room to discover that the room was flooded with light. There was a transom window over the door that wasn't covered and the porch light flooded in. The other side of the room was we'll it by flood lights from outdoors. After a night with no sleep we were offered a room in the main house. When you have four nights repacking and again unpacking is NOT the way you want to spend the day! However, sleep at any price, we took it. Much to our dismay there was light coming in from the transom over the door in this room too. So two strikes, having to move and unable to sleep.
The saving grace was that the pool was clean, not crowded, the area was quiet and peaceful. Quite lovely too. As it should be for the price, this is not a cheap B&B. By the way, I would call this a rather not too special boutique hotel, not a B&B. Although breakfast is served there is no innkeeper to be found, a requirement for a decent B&B.

Room Tip: If you drink enough to knock you out at night you might love it here. Otherwise pack blackout curtai...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deb H
Dear Deb,

I apologize for the light situation causing you to have your sleep disrupted. I appreciate your comments so that we may be able to look further into this situation and correct it. I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the peacefulness of the pool as this is one of our most wonderful assets on our property. Please feel free to reach out to me for anything and if you are interested in staying with us again in the future.

Chicago
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Most of my negative posts get hacked in "editing", funyy how long winded the gushy ones are...but hey I'm an optimist...

This place regulary promises a room and switches at check in. Several other reviews claim that experience, as we did first hand for our reservation. We witnessed three other couples with the same issue over the next two days.

How can this place be catagorized as a B&B? Its barely a small hotel. There was no "owner" present as I understand it's owned by a corp that owns most of everything around duval and south st. The management responses to post are only for the positive responses by someone who claims to be the "inkeeper".

I did enjoy the pool, clean and well maintained. though wish the barkeep was a little more interested in selling me drinks and less enamored with her I-pad. The staff, save those at reception, were all hard working and pleasant. .. though you got the feeling that they knew that they were being watched.

In all fairness, the place is pretty, if disfunctional. Be warned, though the place is a respite from the noise...The blazing lights designed to highlight the architecture stay on all night. Every room has a window or transome that ensures enough light infiltration to disturb the sleep of all but the most inebriated. I heard two comments to the same effect by customers checking out. When we said the same thing to the same clerk (clerk, not inkeeper), the third day, the response... oh, no one has ever said that before. Really, I asked. No response.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank snuggs5500
Lanie P, Innkeeper at The Southernmost House Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear snuggs5500,

I appreciate your comments on your recent stay at the Southernmost House and sincerely apologize for not having the pleasure of meeting you during your stay with us. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience but I will absolutely take into consideration your comments to ensure the improvement of these items. It is our mission to show our guests that our property possesses a unique and charming experience that sets us aside from other Key West properties. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your time in Key West. Please feel free to reach out to me for any assistance in the future if you do decide to visit Key West again. I would be happy to assist you in any way.

Columbus
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My husband and I came here to celebrate our anniversary. We both really loved this property. There were so many great things about it, but I've listed what I saw as pros and cons and you can decide for yourself. Starting with cons, but that doesn't mean they outweighed the pros.

Cons
-Many of the reviews mention getting put in the adjoining property instead of the main house. So, I called to make sure the room I was reserving was in the main house. Given it was our anniversary and I wanted this to be special, I even opted to pay extra for a room with a balcony and ocean view. I was told there was only one room with a balcony and ocean view and that it was in the main house. So I went for it. When I got there, I was put in the adjoining property. I was extremely disappointed. I am usually a go-with-the-flow kind of person, but this really got to me. The room did have a balcony and ocean view, but it looked over electrical lines and the the top of a restaurant.
-Since my room looked over the top of a restaurant, sitting on the balcony meant smelling the exhaust fans (think hamburgers, fried fish, grease) and not being able to hear the ocean because of the exhaust fans
-The house we were in was really loud. Every time another guest came in, the front door would slam really loudly. At first we thought someone was just being loud, but it happened every time. Other guest room doors were also really loud. Made it hard to take a nap or sleep in
-WIFI - non existent in the adjoining house. We were given passwords for the hotel next door but the signal was pretty weak. They need a router in that house. We were told that wifi on the island is spotty, but I didn't have a problem in other parts of the island using various restaurants' wifi.
-Not sure the floors in the bathroom were all that clean. I laid a towel down for a bathmat and when I picked it up, the bottom was black in places. Now, the tiles do seem to be historic, so I understand they look worn and scuffed, all a part of the historic charm - just not sure they were clean
-Some of the furniture could be replaced or repaired. The cabinet that held the minifridge didn't close so when we walked across the room the doors moved and it got noisy. The balcony furniture was a little shabby, but at least there was a place to sit

Pros
-THE POOL. It really can't get better than this. Beautiful view, warm water, plenty of places to sit in the sun or shade. On certain days, my husband and I were often the only ones in or around the pool. They did sell some day passes at least one day when we were there, but not a lot, so there were still lounge chairs available for guests
-The staff. Everyone who worked at the front desk was warm and friendly. Gio even let us check in early which I really appreciated (I'm sure this just depends on whether or not there is a room available)
-Breakfast was nice. Fruit, breads, pastries, bagels, cereal, mini quiche, hard boiled eggs, OJ, milk, coffee
-This place is full of historic charm and pretty little details around every corner
- The location is perfect for me. On the ocean, so great breezes when the rest of the island feels like a sauna. Close to Duval but not in the middle of the craziness (although walking distance when you do feel like getting crazy)
- The AC worked really well in the room. This was awesome when I needed a break from the heat and humidity.
- This place also has a relaxed vibe. The staff are all very professional but not the least bit pretentious. I really appreciate that :)

Given all of this, I would stay here again. I would just not pay for an upgraded room - it wasn't worth it and left me feeling pretty disappointed for much of my trip.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade because you may end up paying more and not get a room in the main house (meaning t...
2 Thank ColumbusDB
Dear Columbus DM,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to relax and enjoy your vacation with us. There is no better way to relax then to sit by our beautiful infinity pool right on the ocean. I appreciate your comments on some of the areas we should be aware of and I look forward to having you back so that you may be able to experience some of our upgrades with the internet and details around the house. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I would love to welcome you back to visit us in the near future!

Oxford, Mississippi
Reviewed June 3, 2014

A fabulous place to stay and a true Key West treasure! My wife and I just returned from a wonderful honeymoon at the Southernmost House and I am ready to visit again! The location is truly the best that Key West has to offer as the house is situated both oceanfront and at the end of the famous, maybe infamous Duvall street, where everything goes down in Key West. I assure you this is THE place to stay on the island. The rooms are fabulous and the pool and bar area around back, nestled neatly beneath beautiful palm trees, are even better! Apparently the guy who lived in the house back in the day was quite the "Gatsby" and yes, this was his party pad. A truly impressive set up! We stayed in room 101, which is the cabana by the pool. This room really gives you a feel like you have your own ocean side condo in Key West and is dangerously romantic! The crashing waves can even be heard from the bed; it is literally just FEET from the ocean. We will not stay anywhere else when we visit Key West, the Southernmost House is the spot!

Room Tip: The poolside cabana is very romantic.
Dear Houston H,

It was such a pleasure getting to know you and your wife during your stay. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a great time during your honeymoon and can't wait to welcome you back "home" during your next visit. We will be sure to help set up some more fun activities in addition to all that relaxation time. See you in near future!

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This place is tough to beat in Key West. This was my second trip to Key West and my fist stay on Duval Street. After wandering around town for a couple days and evaluating my other options, I can say that this was a pretty darn good choice. Again, location is paramount. The history of the property is impressive. There are few places you will ever stay that could match this place from a historical perspective. Five Presidents and the King of Spain have been hosted here. Having written that, it also has not been updated since Jimmy Carter was there...well...the bathrooms were a little updated. The rooms themselves were just okay, and smelled musty. Despite that, they were roomy which is hard to say about most other choices in town. The public areas of the House were historical. The pool area was very relaxing, quiet and with a phenomenal view. A bartender was on staff each afternoon at the pool. The Breakfast was average, but again the porch was a very relaxing place to start your morning. In conclusion, very nice place relative to other choices with superior location, pool area and Historical significance. I would stay here again. Also, I got the impression that many people come back and stay here on an annual basis.

Room Tip: Stayed on the second floor away from the Ocean to save a couple bucks. I think it was well worth it...
1 Thank InspectorWang
Dear Aaron,

I am so pleased you had such a wonderful time during your stay. The history and location are incredible attributes that set our property aside from the other properties on the island. I hope you were able to spend some time by our beautiful pool as well. I appreciate your comments and look forward to having you back in the future.