“Not again”

Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
The Netherlands
“Not again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2008

When we rang the Keys Tourist Board for a place to stay in Key West they offered us a one night stay at the Southernmost House. The house itself and it's location are impressive. The room we stayed in (room 301) was impressive as well. Breakfast was average, especially when you pay so much money for a overnight stay. Personnel was very friendly. My husband fell ill and we could stay in our room a few hours longer without extra costs.

But there were a few dissapointment as well:
- we came by minivan (rental car) and there was almost no parkingspace. We had to sqeeze in between all the convertible's and had to drive backwards (again just inches from the convertible's) to get out of the parking again.
- a third floor room means you have to carry your suitcase up the stairs. No problem when you have a small suitcase, but we visited Florida for three weeks so we had quite a lot of luggage. It was a pity that no one of the personnel came to help.
- there were a lot of bugs in the room. (I think silverfish) They were crawling up the walls, but were in the bed as well. Probably the bugs were there for quite a while, because all over the wall you could see were other people had smashed them.
- It didn't smell very nice in the house. I know the house is a museum, but it smelled like a museum as well. Not very nice when your bedroom smells the same.

• Liked — Views, location
  • Disliked — Parking, bugs, smell
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marjonijntje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Toms River,NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

I actually said to myself,..I found it,..I found the place I want to stay at everytime I come down here,.The House has great personality,the view of the gulf is awesome and it's at the quiet end of Duval St,.yes the $400 a night rate is pricey but all seemed worth it,..until around 11a.m.,..thats when I started to notice the pool area had filled up like there was a party,..when I found out the Inn allows people to use the pool who are not staying there,.I lost it,...are you kidding me?,..what kind of hotel allows people in off the street?,..is what i said to the hotel manager,...his reply was, but they are not in off the street,..they paid $10 to get in,...appearently he did not get it,...I never heard of a hotel doing that... anyway if you can put up with the pool area looking and sounding like a seal beach during mating season,..then you'll love this place,..I will come back down to key west someday and would love to stay at the Southernmost House,..when I call them for reservations,..the first words from my house will be,.Do you still allow non-resident guests to use your pool,..if the answer is yes,..I will politely hang up and find another guest house....

• Liked — The house has history,..the view is the best
  • Disliked — No consideration of guest by allowing the public to use the pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SargeTomsRiver_NJ
MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

My fiance (now husband) and I decided to "run away" to Key West to get married over Memorial Day weekend. We booked our room at the Southernmost House - room 303, and had 4 other couples join us. After reading the reviews, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I live in a Victorian, so the nuances of an old house don't bother me as much as they might some other people. I was very pleasantly surprised! Our room was ready by noon on the day of check-in, which was a pleasant surprise. There wasn't a huge crowd at the pool at any point over the weekend, and after hours it was literally just my group that got the whole area to ourselves! We loved the bar and LOVED the bartender, she was great and was there most of our trip. The rooms were fantastic, I thought they were a great value and were very uniquely appointed. We had great views in our room, and the bedding was very nice and very comfortable. We will stay there whenever we go back to Key West and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to have fun on the island. The breakfast was nothing to write home about, but there are plenty of great cafe's on the island if you don't feel like carb overload. The other recommendation I would have is to check when making your reservations for events going on at the inn. There was a burlesque show while we were there, it was the evening of our wedding so we weren't around for it...but I did hear a guest who was rather unhappy about it the next day. The only plus side is that due to it being in a residential area, no activities are conducted past 9:00 p.m. All in all we thought it was a fabulous place and can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Definitely the pool area
  • Disliked — The continental breakfast could use an upgrade...and some protein!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
LizaJane1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

Our three nights at Southernmost House was arranged for us by the Keys Tourist Board - we stopped at the office on the way down.

I barely recognise the place from the descriptions here; we had wonderful room facing out on to the gardens and pool, no mould, no roaches, nothing horrid, just a wonderfully appointed room with a fantastic shower and everything we could have wished for.

It's at the quiet end of Duval St so we weren't too bothered by noise at night - but, that said, anyone who goes to Key West for the peace and quiet... is going to the wrong place.

Highly recommend the Southernmost House: oldie-worldie, charming, great staff - and with reference to the Museum not really being a Museum - the letters etc are from the many US presidents who have stayed there as a guest of the original family owners - not just a collection of famous signatures!! What would be the point in that?!

• Liked — The beauty of the setting
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Worcester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2008

Having decided to go to the Keys for our holiday we thought 4 days on Key West would be a great break. We did our research and thought this hotel would be quirky but fun. So we booked the Turret Room on-line.
When we arrived they denied ever having heard of us and said the Turret Room was taken anyway so there was nothing that they could do. We gave reception the e-mail confirmation of booking but that made no difference at all.

My wife was a little upset at this point and reception then did offer to telephone the local tourist office to see if we could get a room somewhere on the Island. I decided to take things under my control and find ourselves a room - not that easy in one of the main Easter weeks holiday. Key West is not the place to be without a room as you cannot easily pop down the road to find another hotel if the Island is full!
Fortunately The Sheraton did us proud and we had a great vacation.
Will we go to the Keys again --- already planning it. Will we go to Southernmost House --- NO !

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank nmpm
east aurora, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2008

We stayed at the Lamer house, which is a bed and breakfast. The room was absolutely beautiful and well worth the $ we spent on it. Room 404 is facing the beach/ocean and is wonderfully appointed. The staff was very curtious and pleasant and made sure that we were happy. It was the perfect retreat after a busy day in Key West. Would most definitely stay here again.

You can access all the other pools that are part of the Southernmost Group. Depending on the weather, warm, cool, windy, you can find a spot that will be just right to enjoy being outside.

This hotel is on the quite side of Duval St.....but literally in a few minutes walk you will be near shops, restaraunts and bars. We took the Rick-shaw's home quite frequently!

• Liked — the room location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2008

We got to quite like this place over the course of a weekend, but you should know exactly what you’re letting yourself in for before you book. If you’re expecting an impeccably restored Victorian mansion/upscale Key West-style B&B you’ll be disappointed. If you want something a bit more unpredictable and quirky – with a fantastic location – you’ll probably enjoy it as much as we did. First impressions were pretty bad: a group of tourists was just leaving. Bizarrely, Southernmost House styles itself as a ‘museum’, mainly on the grounds of its collection of letters from presidents and writers, etc. But these are just letters and signatures, with (usually) nothing whatsoever to do with Southernmost House. If I collected a few signatures from famous people presumably I could open my own house as a museum and invite in tour groups too…. We had the ‘Hemingway’ room on the ground floor, with a weird mix of fittings and furniture – free standing modern shower unit, old chest of drawers – giving it a sort of thrown together look. The place was stuffy and the windows didn’t open. When I pointed this out to the nice receptionist she acted as if this was a new and shocking occurrence, and said she’d call maintenance right away. Needless to say no-one from maintenance ever showed up. The receptionist probably receives complaints about the windows twenty times a day.

That said, the place did grow on us. Why? Fantastic pool, wonderful location – at the quiet end of town but not a long walk or bicycle rickshaw ride away. Breakfasts were continental, but adequate, and eating in the garden facing the ocean was great. But maybe it was something to do with Key West. To enjoy this place you really do need to let go a little bit (and no I don’t mean just get drunk at Sloppy Joe’s); relax, and not sweat the details. Do this, and suddenly the receptionist’s impressively bogus reaction, and the equally bogus suggestion that this is a ‘museum’, and the fact that you have to have the aircon on all night, become sort of appealing. Very Key West, in fact. Strange but true. Of course, this won’t work for everyone, and if you paid X hundred bucks for top-line accommodation and service, you’ll be disappointed. But if you can get a deal on the rate, and go with an open mind and a willingness to ‘go local’, you might be surprised.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple