“Just OK for being so pricey”

The Southernmost House
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed at the guest house of the Southernmost House right across the street. Based on the price of the room I was expecting historic charm with luxury. While you can't beat the location of the place and the beautiful pool, the guesthouse view is that of the back of the beach cafe. When we wanted to enjoy the oceanview we had to take in the overwhelming smell of grease right in front of us and of partiers from the bar late at night. Our room seemed to have the "charm of old" based only on the old tile that was stained with rust and never seemed clean. Even in slippers my feet just felt dirty the whole time I was in the room. Our sheets had a large stain in the middle of the bed when we arrived and there were curly hairs (from where I can only guess) and stains all over the pads on the room chairs. On the 2nd day the sheets were changed but the old ones were dumped in the middle of the floor and no one ever came to get them until the next day. We had one small bar of soap that we kept trading from shower to sink.
The real home seemed nice but I never saw the rooms. We only came across for breakfast which was definitely continental and the tablecloths were always dirty. The pool is lovely but I found most patrons sitting on chairs without a towel since clean towels seemed hard to find and only if you asked for them. While in Key West we checked out a few less pricey locations that were wonderful. If location is the only thing important to you then stay here. Otherwise i would advise investigating a few other choices. This was just not worth the price we paid.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank septembermarch
There are newer reviews for The Southernmost House

Reviewed April 19, 2011

My Husband, 7 month old and I traveled to Key West for a wedding. While the wedding and it's location by the pool of the Southermost on the Beach was beautiful, we were somewhat diasppointed.

I called ahead to ask for a crib and was told that they would "try" to get us a crib. Upon my arrival they told me that they weren't able to "find" one. When paying as much as we were for a night >$300, I would think they could go and buy one. The second disappointment came when checking in. The house is an old Victorian house with lots of stairs. I had my daughter in a stroller and hiked her up stairs to get into the lobby. I was ok with this as it's a historic house, I get that there really isn't wheelchair or stroller access. But when being shown our room, we were directed across the street to the yellow house and once again I had to haul her and the stroller up the stairs. They put us on the second floor and only half way up the stairs to our room was I offered help. Once again, not what I would expect when paying this much per room.

Lastly, the "free" breakfast. Upon checking in, we were told that breakfast was included in our rate. It was a continental breakfast. I travel over 100,000 miles a year for work and stay at places half the price with a better continental breakfast. The bagels were moldy, there wasn't any water, the toaster didn't work and nobody was there to restock or help you bus dishes.

As stated before, how the staff handled the wedding was amazing. It was a gorgeous location and the staff was on top of things. I was just very disappointed about the way they handled us as guests for the price that we paid. While we did get the "wedding" rate, they did put their average prices on the door which were double of what we paid. For the service we received as hotel guests, I would recommend spending your money somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tiffsw24
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Had a really nice visit to the keys and spent two nights at the Southernmost House. Very romantic spot and the house and rooms are beautiful! Found B&B online and read Trip Advisor reviews before booking. I found these very helpful! The Inn seemed quite expensive and I guess I expected a little more. Our room was large and very nice. The bathroom shower did leak all over the floor at every shower which was not a big deal, but we kept having to get extra towels to sop up the floor. The breakfast was adequate, but I would have loved a really special breakfast. The orange juice was not good and it was basically a continental breakfast. This is fine, but at such a beautiful place it would be nice to add these special touches, like flowers on the table, nice pastries, a little extra attention here would have made a big difference to me! I also read on a review that the inn let people purchase day passes to use the pool. The area is not that big and I can see where this might be a problem. On both days my husband and I had to go out on back patio to find a place to sit. Lastly, the bartender was not at all friendly to us. It would have been nice to not have to get up and try to find the bartender. We felt like we were a big imposition to her both times we ordered drinks. So, all that said, we loved the Southernmost House and would actually love to stay there again someday!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NorthCarolinaBella
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The Southernmost is as good as it gets in Key West. It's got history, a great view, fantastic pool, great location and comfortable rooms... It's also got a beach right next door which is an added bonus. It's an old place so it's not without it's quirks... We visited in early February during shoulder season and had a wonderful stay. Slava, at the front desk was very inviting and helpful with reservations for attractions and dining... He deserves a raise!

We will be back on our next visit for sure! Can't wait!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OpptomisticByNature
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We did quite a bit of research prior to selecting the Southernmost House...but it's always blind luck when you find the perfect spot on your first trip to a location. We walked all over Key West during our nine days and it really is a unique location. We originally looked at the Ocean Key Resort....which is a top notch place and I'm not disparaging here...but even an ocean view room with a balcony has you looking over a plaza with all the noise that comes with it. And you pay 2-3x the price. At the SMhouse you get both the sun rise and sun set (at least during early February) and the luxury of an uncrowded private pool right on the water. There were always open chairs and plenty of towels...and they have a bar even though it's a smaller place. The Southernmost beach is right next door....but it's packed wall-wall and you pay extra for chairs....but you don't really see or hear them. The house only has 18 rooms...so you get personalized service from a very friendly staff. Duval is only 1 mile from end to end....so getting to all the hot spots is an easy walk or take a bicycle cab if walking is too much. The best thing about this location is it's quiet! You can take in all the wild night life and then retreat to a very quiet room. I was up early one morning and walked up Duval. At 7AM there was a guy with a backpack blower blowing all the litter into the street and the street sweeper was going up and down. If you were at one of the many B&B's along Duval...you get all the night noise plus the morning noise. No thanks!

I know I sound like a rep for this place....but it really is a great spot to stay if you want to unwind. If you're 22 and looking for a place to drink....not your place.

While I'm at it....I'll put in a plug for the 9-1-5 restaurant (915 Duval). By far the best menu and wine list. Don't waste your time on the places that call themselves a vine bar.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JAKAFURTH
Reviewed January 25, 2011

My husband and I have been to Key West several times and stayed at different guest houses. We know that guest houses and B&Bs, especially in Key West, tend to be older buildings and staying in them you often trade the convenience and amenities of a Marriott type place for the charm of a historic property with all its expected quirky drawbacks (usually funky plumbing, thin walls, smaller rooms, etc). So we booked this place knowing without the expectation of a corporate chain hotel type of experience.

At the Southermost, however, we felt that the price wasn't in line with the room and service.

Our room at the Southermost was huge in comparison to other guest houses where we've stayed with very high ceilings and lots of windows and a great view -- one of the best on the whole island. It was clean. The property is on the "quiet" side of Duval which was a big plus for us but may not be for those who want to be in walking distance of the bars on the other end of Duval, a little over a mile away.

The view and the pool overlooking the ocean are the real strengths of this property. The pool is nicely maintained (except for them constantly running out of towels), looks like the pictures on the website, and is a great place to spend a few days if you are looking for that type of vacation.

The downsides of the property? There are several. It isn't quite up to the "luxury" suggested by the price point and web pictures of the interior. While the house was renovated in the 90s and the outside is well maintained, on the inside it is looking a little worn and faded (not historic), especially the furniture. Blinds, chair upholstery, and decorative pillows on the bed were older and even stained. The bed was saggy and lumpy. There was a minor problem with ants. The breakfast (included) was a substandard continental style one. The fresh fruit and most of the best pastries were usually gone by 9am and not replenished. There was plenty of bread, bagels, jams and yogurt etc. but not of the best quality. We aren't big tv watchers, but this one in our room had a mis-matched remote and didn't work correctly. We were at the southernmost edge of the US so maybe out of range, but the wireless Internet often didn't work (so if that is important to you then be warned).

The walls and floors are super thin, even for an older home, so that you can hear practically every move and conversation of neighbors (and be heard by them).

In our experience, the service staff was also hit or miss. One was friendly and helpful, the others were not as helpful, even with minor requests.

Bottom line: go if you are willing to pay a bit more than probably is market rate for an amazing view and/or a big pool and ocean view is a must for your Key West vacation then consider it. But don't have high expectations for service, room and amenities.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sallygal
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Excellent location, very typical hotel, southermost house in USA and 2nd most pictured building in USA after The White house (and we understand why !)

Definitively not a classical hotel. Everything is perfect except breakfast which is included. This breakfast is not bad but just the minimum to be normal. Actually, in a other hotel this breakfast would have been good but in this Hotel we expected better.

don't hesitate !