“Butterfly's and Birds”

and up
Key West Hop-on Hop-off Narrated Trolley Tour
Ranked #1 of 180 things to do in Key West
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is a very pleasant experience. I have only given it 3 stars because it is very small and although you can stay as long as you like and you can return the same day with your ticket stub, it really only takes about 15 minutes to look through at leisurely pace.

It did help that we'd been given half off tickets by a store clerk in a shop near Mallory Square the day before. So, for only $6.00, not bad.

Thank marleePhila.areaPA

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Butterfly Conservatory is a great place to step into on a cool, cloudy day. It is warm and filled with beautiful butterflies, birds, fish and even a turtle! There is a room with butterfly information that is interesting and well presented for the small size of the place. We had a two dollar coupon and used it to reduce the cost and balance the relatively short amount of time this experience requires.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Butterfly Conservatory really wasn't on my radar for a New Year's trip to Key West. However, of all the tourist attractions my wife and I visited during the week, the Butterfly Conservatory is the only one we want to visit again.
As for price, we used our senior discount and found the price to be quite reasonable. This is Key West...something under $10.00 is a bargain.
Now if you aren't a bug person, and don't like things flying around your face....wait outside. As soon as I entered the conservatory I had a huge blue butterfly land on my shoulder. Knowing you can't touch the "occupants" I thought...oh well. Within a minute or two I now had two more "riders", one on my head. I'm sure my face has blessed dozens of vacation pictures as everybody wanted a picture. I sought out one of the workers who said the riders will generally move on with no prompting, but when I'm ready to leave just jiggle my shirt and shake my head and they will fly away. The employee went on to explain about how to tell the age of the butterfly and was a wealth of really interesting information. My wife and I spent a little more than an hour just sitting and watching the birds and butterflies.
Unlike some of the other tourist attractions there are so many photo opportunities there was no jostling for a photo, and I didn't see or hear a rude person in the place.
Honestly, I know the conservatory isn't for everybody. I'm sure there was more than one husband in the place that would have been happier to be on the other end of Duval Street. On the other hand I don't know anyone that couldn't appreciate the beauty and variety of the birds and butterflies in the conservatory.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Go in the mornings when the butterflys are most active...that was good advice from our hotel front desk because the butterflys were flying all over the place when we were there. It was a very nice peaceful time and not too pricey. I loved it. I have never seen so many different kinds of butterflys. If you are squeamish about them landing on you then don't go. They whole place it beautiful...plants and trees and birds...very nice. Nice gift shop too. It doesn't take too long either...as long as you want to meander through there really. I imagine the time of day depends on how good this is...we got good advice to go in the morning when they were feeding the butterflys. I think they go a bit dormant later in the day when it gets hot.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Butterfly Conservatory is filled with many beautiful butterflies but it is not very big. You will find many good opportunities to take some great pictures but you may have to walk through a couple times in order to get some good shots. It was quite crowded when we went and I felt a little rushed to keep from backing up the crowd but it was well worth the visit. You can go through as many times as you want after paying so if you don't get your fill the first time through just go around again.