“Camping on Dry Tortuga”

and up
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip by Catamaran
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the eighth wonder of the world aboard the Yankee Freedom II Dry Tortugas National Park Ferry. Cruise in spacious comfort to Fort Jefferson Dry Tortugas National Park seventy miles southwest of Key West. Our veteran captain and friendly crew will take you to one of the most unique and spectacular national parks in the United States. Your trip includes breakfast, lunch, snorkel gear and guided tour of the largest brick structure in the United States.
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My parents and I were visiting the Keys after Thanksgiving. The three of us took The Yankee Freedom out to the island, spent the day there together, dad took the ferry back to Key West at the end of the day, and mom and I camped out on the island for the next two days. The trip out and back were effortless- the boat was clean and comfortable, the crew was helpful and professional, and the island was fabulous! Not only do they provide you with the convenience of a delicious breakfast and lunch, but also to snorkel equipment to enjoy the gorgeous sea life on the island. Thank you to the Crew of The Yankee Freedom and for making out trip a smooth and memorable experience!! (And, for educating visitors about care for the marine life- not stepping on/touching corals, etc.) We look forward to coming back!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)
All reviews
in 24 reviews
"rough seas"
in 31 reviews

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Lived in the Keys years ago and have been coming back for years and never made it to Dry Tortugas until yesterday! The day was perfect from the minute we stepped on the boat. Boat has everything you need! Staff was very attentive! Food was good with healthy alternatives. Views were spectacular...aqua blue color of water was breath-taking! We saw rare birds and snorkeled on both sides but most enjoyed from the north side by pilings! Lots of marine life! They had plenty of snorkeling equipment which was included. Fort was interesting! Great to have the boat to go back to during the day for restroom, lunch and to cool off! Seas were a little rougher on return but we'd taken Bonine and were fine! Can't understand the negative reviews! It was one of the best day trips we've ever taken!

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We took Yankee Freedom III out to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson. It is an all day trip leaving from KW at 8:00am and arriving back at 5:30pm. This review is about the ferry/crew only. The day we went was a smooth day on the water so there was no "sea sickness" like I had read in other's posts. I really think it depends on the weather/water as to whether that would happen. You board the ferry around 7:30am. There are 2 levels with outside seating as well as indoor seating. I would recommend seating inside on the first level so that way you can see out and in the direction you are traveling. We sat on the 2nd level heading out and you really couldn't see where you were were heading. When you board, breakfast is ready for you. They had hard boiled eggs, ham, cubed cheeses, bagels, cerals, fruit, juice/coffee/milk. You could have all you wanted as you served yourself. The boat ride took about 2.5 hours. During the ride out, there was a "guide" who talked about what we were seeing on our way and the rules. They showed a few videos and a lot of people slept. There were bathrooms on the ferry as well as showers to rinse off after being in the salty water. Once we arrived, we were told that the only bathrooms were on the boat. You could go on and off the boat as much as you liked. Lunch was served from 11 to 1 (I think) and that was on the ferry as well. Again, you served yourself. They had various types of bread and lunchmeat - turkey, ham, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, potato salad, pickles, fruit, chips, cookies and sodas. Again, you could have as much as you wanted. We ate on the ferry (it's air conditioned). On the return trip, you had to check in before boarding and the ride back was about the same length. We had to be back by 2:45pm. They had alcoholic beverages and snacks for purchase on your return trip. Overall, the ferry was clean and the crew was nice. The food was good. It is a very costly trip for a family of 4. I am glad we did this, but would probably not spend the money to do it again. I also suggest you make reservations ahead of time as it does get booked up. (note this review is only about the ferry - see other review about the fort and the National Park)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We tried to book the seaplane, but it was full. So we took Yankee Freedom III and decided that we are glad it turned out that way. The cruise was relaxing and we had a lot of time to take in the views. Even saw a turtle out in the open water. We had more time on the island and even wished for a little more time there. The food and drinks were good quality and the service was great. The crew was very nice and helpful and talked and answered questions as much as we wanted. The boat was very clean.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is something everyone should do in their lifetime. The Yankee Fredom (YF) and Fort Jefferson staff are top notch. The boat is big enough to be comfortable in moderate seas, fast enough to get you out there in a short amount of time, and is clean enough to be a cruise liner. I was hesitant camping on the island by myself for 3 nights, but I'm so glad I did (the YF web site was spot on for what to bring with you). I brought my kayak and was able to see things many of the other over night campers were not due to my access to the water. The wildlife officers were kind enough to loan me a waterproof VHF radio in case I needed help while away in my kayak. I caught tarpon, yellowtail, mutton snapper, mangrove snapper, and grouper just to name a few. I love fishing and within the 1 mile boundary there is no shortage of fish (make sure you have your license). The snorkeling is amazing! Water clarity during my trip was approx. 25ft. Seeing the giant tarpon crusing by the coaling docks is a site to see up close. I can't wait to get back again this year. Thanks again YF for the great experience.