“It is what it is...”

Ranked #19 of 59 Nightlife in Key West
More attraction details
Owner description: Clothing Optional Bar
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I've been around the world at leats twice but now I'm 38 and this was the first time I went to the Garden. I knew what to expect, heard about it from friends and didn't have any expectations. I got there at around 2pm and just checked it out. The bartender was topless and asked if I would like a drink, so I got a beer and rented a towel ($3 for the towel). So I though why not, I stripped down and staked out a spot in the sun. People came and left, a few stayed, a couple even ended up getting nude with me when I went up to the bar to get out of the hot Florida sun.
I went back that night, around 8 and it was dead. Once again the bartender was topless, and asked me if I wanted a drink, so I got a beer and another towel. I went there for the sole purpose of partying naked! For the longest time I was the only one there who was nude. A few brave people came up and asked me what it was like to be naked in the bar so I told them to try it. Once again people came and people left, most just hoping to see someone naked.
Around 11:30pm is when the party really started. three or four girls came in for some body paint. I'm sitting at the bar having a beer, all the girls were done getting their chest painted, when they all took off the rest of their clothes and asked me to dance. Here I am, this 38 year old guy dancing with four nude twentysomethings! It was great. By the end of the night, about 1/2 the men and 1/3 of the women were in various stages of undress. There were easily 40 people in the place dancing, singing, drinking, and having a great ol time. Around 2am I heard something I have never heard in a bar... "OK GET YOUR CLOTHES ON AND GET OUT"
If you just go there to just party and not worry about the [--], you will have a good time, just order a drink, lose your clothes, and have fun!

5  Thank christhevoyager
in 16 reviews
"freedom"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 7, 2010

My wife and I have been there may times and its always a memorable experience. The first time we were just bar hopping down Duval and stopped at the Bull and Whistle ordered a drink and were going to the balcony. When we finished our first drink, I went back in and ordered another. The barmaid told me when we were finished with our drinks to be sure and go upstairs to check out the Garden. I told my wife about the conversation and we did as we were told.
It was a week night so the crowd was a little smaller to start. There was one naked lady who had obviously enjoyed Duval to that point, but a few hours later it was full of naked dancers. We have also been there on the weekends but we enjoy weeknights better. I guess we like smaller crowds better. Please don't miss this if you make the trip to Key West, its all part of the experience.

4  Thank camp2
Reviewed January 20, 2010

My wife and I recently experienced this place and it is very interesting. Usually most of the people are just curious as to what this place is all about, but there is usually a few naked people, men and women, walking around. They play very good dance music and everyone seems to get along very well. It is a place you need to at least visit once and you may end up staying the entire night there. I think Friday and Saturday nights are usually busy, as we have been there twice on Sunday evening and it was dead. A good place to just have a good time as you will never see any of these people again.

4  Thank Dabmar
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Its a long way up what seems to be an endless set of stairs....(but in reality its only three flights)...to a roof top Bar that has decent music...a body painter...and tons of fun!!!

If you just want to sit and watch or if you are a true exhibitionist and want to bear all and dance the night away..this is the place to go. We have been there three times and never once had a bad time.

4  Thank remymartin15
See more reviews
Reviewed December 5, 2009

We've visited the Garden of Eden on three visits to Key West. The first time the weather was nice and four wives of the five couples present plus one of the unattached women customers and the woman serving bar were topless. It started to rain before anybody had the nerve to go further. The last two times were during cold snaps so no one was doffing their clothes. We've always found the employees courteous and friendly and the service good. And they enforced the no camera rule, as we found out as I inadvertently tried to take a picture of my wife.

In 2008 my wife had a top and bottom body painting - a painted on bikini. The artist was friendly, professional, and made my wife completely at ease. We took a girlfriend of my wife there this year. Different painter. He permitted two inebriated couples to stand around watching our friend with her top bared while he conducted a conversation with one of the inebriated wives who was name and place dropping. Then one of the husbands entered the painting area to show the artist some photos, and the artist looked at the photos and talked with the guy while he painted. Our friend, my wife and I became so uncomfortable that we ended the session, not wanting the ogglers to see our friend take off the rest of her clothes. It left a bad feeling because the previous two times we really enjoyed the place.

We will go back the next visit to the Keys, but will write it off if there is a repeat.

2  Thank dldcw2