“Close to it all”

Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean and had a wonderful shower, towels, and bathrobe. The pool and deck areas were very nice. We ate at the restaurant and it was delish. We had a waterfront room which we paid extra for. No one (travel agent or hotel) informed us that the water view would be blocked 3 out of the 4 days we were there by cruise ships docking for the day.

My complaint would be the front desk check in as well as the concierge. All very unhelpful throughout our stay. Check in felt like I was first a bad child since we arrived prior to the 4:00 pm check in time. Then we were refused the king bed that had been requested. So we got 2 queen beds making our sleep terrible. Check in man was just rude and condescending...perhaps because we used AAA????? Not sure why he treated us that way. Concierge was mostly unhelpful perhaps because we asked questions instead of booking stuff through her. Did not return phone calls. It was just strange to be at a resort hotel and be treated like you really weren't suppose to be there.

Room Tip: Except for the cruise ships docking directly in front of our room, I liked our location. Second fl...
1  Thank serenitytraveler
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Guest:

I have read your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. While we are an active cruise ship port (which we state on the home page of our website), cruise ships do not dock here everyday. The city of Key West has a schedule on their website, our dock is designated as pier (B). The schedule is subject to change, therefore it is not possible to predict/guarantee/notify guests of the presence or absence of a cruise ship. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Marketing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,383)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We loved the location of this hotel. It is within walking distance to everything, really don't need a car. The sunset was beautiful and the mojitos were the best I have ever had!! We also enjoyed the shops located in the main bldg. of the hotel.

Room Tip: Suite 423 was very large, great for a family.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing this positive review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were there for 4 nights. Hard to get a smile from any employee, even taking into consideration that it is and upscale price place. When we checked we lost 3 hours trying to have access in our room to the safe deposit box, internet and telephone. We were told a number of contradictory things in the direction of "you probably did something wrong". To make a long story short, the safe deposit box did not have a battery and the modem for phone and internet had been removed from the room! This became real only when after a strong complaint they decided to come to the room. Should say that the Manager credited us with a half a day rate and a full breakfast, but our intention was just to have good service.

Room Tip: Do not expect high rank services
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Miguel M

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. All reviews are passed along to the staff for training and improvement purposes.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I really like this hotel - it's very well situated for touring Key West. The staff is friendly and helpful and the Sunday Brunch in their restaurant is EXCELLENT. It has everything you can think of - there's the usual eggs/bacon/sausage/potatoes/eggs benedict/omelets to order - but then it goes on to have a beautiful seafood bar with shrimp, oysters and crab claws, smoked salmon and hot dishes like pasta with shrimp, carved beef and roast duck - and then the cold dishes including caesar salad, ahi tuna, pickled beet salad, lobster salad, sushi, brie with walnuts, fresh berries and some other things I can't remember. Also wonderful desserts - key lime creme brule, little cakes, mousse (chocolate and lime) and on top of that "bottomless Mimosas or champagne" which you finally just have to say "NO MORE PLEASE." Not cheap - but a good value and you won't want to eat again on Sunday.

The one thing at the hotel they forgot to mention - is that every cruise ship in the Caribbean docks here. There are three docs - one at Mallory Square (right next door), Pier B (right out front) and Old Mole (no idea) just to the other side of Pier B. You may have one to three ships at a time. That can mean in the neighborhood of 6000 passengers who get off to see Key West. It can get pretty crowded. The GOOD news is that they leave before sunset which would be a real problem for their "Sunset Deck" which does have fantastic views. I have a feeling the "ocean front" room occupants were pretty surprised the morning they woke up to look right into a HUGE ship. But there is a website that tells you when they arrive and leave athttp://www.cruiseportinsider.com/keywestschedule2014.html#.Uuabu_30DL8

A very nice stay - especially considering it's 17 degrees and snowing at home!!!

Room Tip: Don't go for the ocean front rooms - ships are in your face.
1  Thank Patay1

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, our location and the Sunday Brunch. The brunch is one of the best in town and enjoyed not only by our guests but the locals as well! Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here for six nights, very enjoyable. We were in the quieter building above the check-in area, not the building surrounding the pool. There were only three rooms in our wing, we hardly ever saw any of the other guests and felt like we had the place to ourselves. We had a partial ocean view room, the view was OK. As for the room, it was nice but it could have used some spiffing up in some areas, rug, paint, etc. but overall it met our needs. I used the hot tub once, which was nice and the pool looked nice as well but the weather was a bit cool that week for swimming. We ate outside for breakfast there on our last day, it was very good as was the service.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the rooms above the check-in area if you like peace and quiet.
1  Thank Laurie E

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My wife and I spent four days at the Westin and loved every minute. We had an ocean front balcony, and yes it over looks the marina, but the ocean is just beyond. And, yes there were cruise ships on some days that docked outside our window, but the hotel was very clear about the ships when we booked on the website. The staff was friendly, professional and accommodating. Our room was clean and had the amenities that we have come to expect. The facility was also very quiet and secure. The Bistro at the Westin gave us both excellent food and service. When we return to Key West this will be our home away from home.

Dear Guest:

Thank you for writing this positive review. It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

After staying here for a weekend recently, I would rank the Westin Key West as a category 3, with a potential for a 4 solely because it's on the water, at best. Nowhere close to the Category 6 that it's currently placed at. The overall location was nice and convenient, but this property has some major issues.

When I first walked into the lobby, I was hit with a very overpowering smell that was not of the standard Westin scent. Even my wife, who only stays maybe 15-20 nights a year in a hotel pointed out that it didn't seem right. When I proceeded to my building, I also noticed a weird smell when entering the lobby of the building, and a different horrendous right outside my room. The air coming out of the vent directly in front of my room smelled like an old musty basement, and there were obvious signs of water damage on the ceiling in that area. I was relieved to enter my room and find it smelling as I would expect.

A few minutes after reaching my room, I went back to the front desk to ask a few questions, and the staff person I dealt with was nowhere close to nice, and was actually quite snotty.

In my first ten minutes on property, things were obviously not off to a great start.

As the weekend progressed, I started to notice things about my room and the resort that made me feel more and more like I was being ripped off on the amount of points I paid for the room. Some items include:

- The air conditioner sounded like a plane was taking off each time it turned on

- The floor lamp was nearly impossible to turn on with its foot switch being behind a table. Once I was finally able to get to it, I found the light only would flicker, at best, when fumbling with the bulb. Due to the lack out outlets in the room, we needed to use one of the lamp outlets for phone chargers, so there was a major lack of light.

- The crown molding on the ceiling at the balcony door and above the sink wasn't even complete, it simply just stopped and did not even have an end cap

- The fan blades we visibly dirty

- The nightstand had visible dried liquids on it (hopefully not human)

- You couldn't even close the bathroom door without squeezing yourself in next to the toilet

- The view was always blocked during the day by cruise ships (although was quite nice for sunsets and it's disclosed that this is a cruise port, you just don't realize how close they'll really be)

- The bed did not even feature "heavenly bed" items as advertised and actually had Sheraton branded sheets (I was told this is an agreement between ownership and Starwood, but I find it hard to believe they would let a franchise use materials that don't match the brand)

- There was a saved message on the voicemail from the front desk to a previous guest apologizing for all the issues they had with the room and offering to move them to a new room, which made me wonder what I possible missed

- Nearly all the furniture was beat up and previous attempts to hide it were obvious

As for the hotel itself, in addition to the lobby and hallway smells:

- The walkway from the side door to stairwell 1 constantly smelled like rotten food (stairway 1 was the only place that actually seemed to have the standard Westin smell)

- We never really encountered a hotel staff person who seemed to enjoy their job

- The resort fee included poolside treats, which during our trips there, were never offered. Aside from those services, All others are included as platinum benefits

- One of the restaurant managers was cleaning the edges of the table next to us while we were eating lunch on our last day, which was disgusting to see how dirty they really were. On top of that, the chemicals he was spraying were getting all over the silverware on the table - I'm sure that's really safe

- The bartender on duty while we were having lunch was so bored that she was texting nearly the whole time we were there, but was "hiding" it in a check book to make it look like nothing, but I think that made it more obvious

- We spent a day on the beach at sunset key. The fee for the beach pass said it included hammocks (plural), but there was only one, and constantly in use. Additionally it said food and beverage service was a part of the fee, but we were charged a service fee on our bill

I don't want this to seem as if we were nitpicking our trip, as that was not the case, but these items were all beyond obvious to us. Many could have probably been overlooked at a lower category property, but with this being in one of the top tiers, there are expectations of excellence. This hotel just does not seem to care. I'm not sure if it's because the high occupancy makes it not worth it to care since you're making money anyway, or if there are management issues that need to be dealt with. I would certainly think twice about coming back here again.

2  Thank Colin M
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Prior to your arrival, our Director of Operations gave directive to the Executive Housekeeper to have your room deep cleaned prior to your arrival, which it was. You also received a complimentary upgrade to an ocean front room upon arrival. As a good will gesture, you were also granted 5,000 Starwood points. The hammocks on Sunset Key are throughout the resort and are there for the Sunset Key Cottage guests. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel.