Summary: 5-star location, but disappointed with some aspects of the hotel that you would expect from a true 5-star hotel, and for the price.
Check-in: We had no initial issues with check-in. We were early and our room wasn't available yet. This usually isn't an issue for us, but the lobby was very small and there wasn't much room just to sit and relax while waiting for the room. You are able to use the pool, but after traveling and walking around for lunch, we just wanted to sit in the AC.
Room: We had a deluxe king with partial ocean view. We were on the 3rd floor of the lobby building. Most rooms with views appear to be in this building, and the rooms with pool views in the main building. Our room was on the corner, so we probably had the best of the partial view rooms. (As others mention, the view is often blocked by cruise ships, however there weren't any on Saturday, Sunday or when we left on Monday. If this is a big deal for you, get a poolside room.) Not sure what made the deluxe room different than a standard room. Both are listed as 375 sqft online. It may just be the view. The room did have a fridge, which did not appear to be standard on the website. We also got a few free bottles of water in the room. Two bottles had a sign about being free for being a Starwood Preferred Guest member and a 3rd had a sign about being a $2.50 charge, however they were all free and replenished each day. In-room coffee was Starbucks. I am a coffee drinker and was happy with it. We did have a few issues with the room. We needed a crib, and had called the day before and mentioned at our initial check-in that we needed a crib and fridge. We had to call three times before our crib was brought up right before our daughters bedtime. (As mentioned earlier, not the level of service you expect from a high-end hotel.) Also, the temp in our room was 77 degrees when we arrived. I let this go figuring that it might have been turned off. The room cooled off a bit overnight, but climbed again the next day. This time however, our issue was addressed without needing to call back and the AC was working when we got back after dinner. The last issue is minor but seemed odd. There aren't room darkening blinds, just vertical blinds, so it does get bright in the room when the sun comes up. Also, the handle on the door to our deck didn't fit with the blinds on the door, and many of the blinds were broken. The deck was nice to have, but it was small and with the AC constantly running, it was noisy and warm. I do not have any sunset pictures from our balcony, but my wife was there for the same one I have pictured from the patio down on the water, and it was a great view.
Location: We paid to upgrade our overall trip experience from a cheaper hotel that we originally booked, so some of the above issues were annoying. However, part of our upgrade was location, and this did not disappoint. There are 4 or 5 hotels along the water on the north side of the island that a close to the marina, the major bars and restaurants, and with great sunset views, and the Westin is one of them. We did trek to other parts of the island by choice, but the furthest trip we had to make was to the marina, and it was about a quarter mile. We also walked to various other bars and restaurants only a few blocks away.
Food: Bistro 245 was unimpressive. We did not like the room service menu, and turns out it is the same as the Bistro. It wasn't bad, but was disappointed for the price. Go elsewhere for a fine dining experience. The food poolside was surprisingly good after our Bistro experience the first night. We ate poolside multiple times. The Sunset Deck above the Bistro appeared to serve the poolside menu.
Misc: Although it quickly runs out, they have fresh squeezed OJ in the lobby each morning and virgin mojitos in the afternoon. This was a nice touch. There are a bunch of shops on the ground level of each building. This was convenient for shopping, however there is usually a lot of foot traffic in the area between the lobby building and the main building with the pool because of this. Not a big minus, just an odd layout.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located right on the waterfront of Old Town Key West, just steps from the famous Mallory Square, and one block from Duval Street is the Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina - a hub of relaxation and luxury in the middle of all of the excitement that Key West is famous for. Experience the beauty of the sparkling sea, access to water sports, and endless dining, shopping, and entertainment options all just steps away. Our marina is one of the three cruise ports in Key West welcoming cruise ships from around the world. Dine on fresh island cuisine, indoors, on a deck, or oceanside. Sip a cocktail and lounge by our outdoor pool surrounded by lush native plants, or take a launch to the nearby private beach on Sunset Key. Rejuvenation awaits in the serenity of our massage studio. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Key West Resort & Marina Hotel Key West
- The Westin Key West Resort And Marina
- Key West Hilton
- Key West Westin