“Great location, nice hotel”

Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Westin is a nice hotel in an ideal location. I travel for leisure using frequent stay points I earned on business trips, so have tried the Crowne Plaza and the Hyatt in Key West as well. The Westin is better, in my opinion. This time, I was assigned a very nice pool view room, right on the ground floor overlooking some greenery. It was nice to sit out there sipping coffee in the morning and cocktails in the evening. Food and beverage service pool-side was superb. The food itself was much better than I expected it to be. Having access to the sunset fun of Mallory Square right outside my door was excellent. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The only complaint I have is that on the last day, although I had requested and received a late check-out, the maid apparently did not get that information and knocked on the door several times even though I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. Although she was just doing her job, and was probably under some pressure to get the vacated rooms cleaned and ready for the new arrivals, it was not exactly the quiet rest and recovery time I had hoped to have with the late check-out. In no way would that impact my desire to stay at the Westin again, but I do think I would ask the front desk to notify the cleaning staff if I request a late check-out again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Key West Resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Sales and Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,384)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just spent 3 lovely nights at the KEy West Westin. Rooms were a little on the small side, but who cares when it is so beautiful outside. The hotel is right on the water next to Mallory Square and the sunsets are fabulous to view. Splurge and get a waterside room. It is worth it. Cruise shops dock there during the day, but must leave before sunset. The restaurant on the property "245" is fabulous!!! The other restaurant, "Latitude" on Sunset Key, a short boat ride, is highly over rated in our opinion. Our food there was a much lower quality and over-cooked compared to 245, which is less pricey. Service was not good and mistakes were on our bill.

Room Tip: Get a waterfront view
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Key West Resort and the time you spent in Key West. All comments are passed along for review and training purposes. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Christy was our waitress on 2-13 as we watched the sunset and had snacks and drinks. She was friendly, accommodating and informative about Key West. She was very helpful and pleasant and we really have fond memories of the Westin as a result. Ask for her if you go to watch the sunset or any other time. She is the best!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Key West Resort. We will be sure to pass along the good review to Christy! Thanks again!

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Overall I think this is a great hotel for the location alone. It's right next to Mallory Square and Duvall street! We were able to see the sunset from our oceanfront room and restaurants were within walking distance, which was wonderful! Two cons - first, we had an oceanfront room and woke up the first morning to a huge cruise ship blocking our ocean view. The second is my BF is Starwood preferred and usually there's a welcome gift.. This hotel did not treat is any differently from anyone else. Given how much business we give them, we were disappointed.

Overall I'd stay again but wouldn't pay extra for the oceanfront room!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank April A

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and are happy to hear you enjoyed the location and the time you spent in Key West. While we do have an active cruise ship port (which we state on our website), cruise ships do not dock here every day. The City of Key West has a cruise ship calendar available for everyone to see on their website-our dock is designated with a (B). This schedule is subject to change, and therefore it is not possible to predict/guarantee/notify guests about the presence or absence of a cruise ship when a guest books a room. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed that you didn't receive a welcome amenity. Each level of SPG membership has different benefits. Gold and Platinum members receive a welcome gift at check-in. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Perfect location for all to do in Key West. Staff was top notch. Shannon at the front desk took especially good care of us. Kenai at the Bistro 245 was as good a server as you could find anywhere. I recommend everyone stay at this hotel if you have the opportunity. Rick

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Westin Key West Resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at most of the hotels near Mallory Square in Key West, but not at the Westin, so we decided to give it a try. Of course the location is wonderful, and being a bit off Mallory Square is actually a plus.
Our suite was lovely. If you stand where the cruise ships dock and look at the corner of the hotel where the gazebo-like balconies are, that's where our suite was. On the top floor. Not only did it have a large living area and separate bedroom (each with its own balcony), there were two full baths, a wet bar with refrigerator, a small dining area, two TVs, and comfortable furniture both inside and out. You could really have a nice party there.
As with most resort hotels, the furniture was a little beat up and should be replaced, and 0ne of the closet doors was a little wonky, but overall the suite was very comfortable. The views were great even if a cruise ship was docked there, and we had a great view of the cat man on the pier every night during sunset.
We only had two complaints: the HVAC system sucked every bit of water out of the air in the suite, so that we both woke up several times a night with a very dry mouth. No amount of fooling with the fan, the temperature, open or closed windows or doors could solve the problem. We've never experienced anything like that before in a hotel, so we won't know exactly what was going on. Also, we think that an upscale hotel like the Westin should provide drinking glasses made of real glass, not plastic for its rooms, especially its upscale rooms. It would have been nice to have highball glasses and wine glasses in our room for Happy Hour.
Otherwise our stay was very nice.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room near the restaurant (though probably not above the restaurant) for the best v...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BetseyBrown
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments-it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We are actually in the process of replacing the plastic cups with stemless wine glasses in the rooms. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had never been to Key West and planned a trip to Florida with the highlight being 3 days/nights in Key West. I was interested in the Westin for several reasons....the location, it was pet-friendly, and I'm a SPG member. The price put me off a little, but I decided if I was driving all the way to Florida from the north, that I would do it right. I originally booked an ocean view room, but then the price dropped a little and I got an ocean front room, which was the right thing to do for us. We could have stayed at other hotels in town, or cheaper with a shuttle, but the view and location to town and the sunset was unbeatable.

I must say that I was pretty nervous with the reviews. I have to give kudos to one of their newer managers, Amy, who spent some time with me on the phone and through email describing the different rooms and helping me decide. She also helped get me what I think might be one of the best rooms in the hotel as well as Key West...room 263 with a wrap around balcony. It was the best of all worlds....an amazing view, not blocked completely even with the cruise ships there, and a great view of Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. We didn't have to go stand with the crowds, we could watch from our balcony and the sunsets were amazing. In the morning, it was quiet and serene with an amazing ocean view. I also have to give kudos to the concierge, an in particular Becky and Kristina, who helped us rent a boat, find a pet-friendly restaurant on the beach, and a pet-friendly taxi. The room service and food was also really fantastic at the Westin. If you want the best spot for an ocean front view and sunset celebration, book an ocean front view. I am SO glad I didn't go for the ocean view...from the looks of it, you pretty much see the pool or town, with just a slight distant view of the ocean. If you're just staying there to see the town, that's something different. I haven't seen many reviewers commend the housekeeping staff but they were very friendly and helpful as well; so were the bell staff. I thought the rooms were great and the beds fantastic as usual. Our room was quite a distance from the elevators, but still worth it for the view....again, honestly one of the best spots in Key West to see everything. Amy was great in helping us get that room.

I don't think it would be fair of me not to give an honest comment of my only concern, because I have read it on so many other reviews. As wonderful as the people were as described above, and I think the property is incredible as well as the location, a few of the staff people did come off as slightly rude....a few at the front desk and a female hotel operator. (Jose, one of the operators was great). Also a couple of the bartenders. It only put a slight damper on some of the moments for me, but I think the hotel should spend a little time to make sure all the staff understands where their bread and butter comes from. They could learn from the folks I have described above. But don't let that deter you....the property is amazing, the food great, the convenience, location, and view, and most of the staff who go the extra mile make it well worth it.

Lastly, I feel I should comment on the cruise ships. The room we had was great, and Amy even reached out and told me about the ships and the calendar as I was booking the room. We were there on a slower week, and again the ship that was there only partially blocked my view. Does the hotel have the responsibility to "advertise" that ships might be blocking the view for others? In my opinion, they don't necessarily have a responsibility, but I think they are hurting their own reputation based on the reviews here to not be a little more proactive. I saw countless responses from their general manager on this site that to the effect of "the cruise calendar is published..." but who books an "oceanfront" room thinking they better search the internet for what might be obstructing it on a regular basis? I have seen other hotels which advertise a partially obstructed view, etc. And by the way, it sure didn't look like the ocean view had much of a view as the reviews have confirmed. The hotel has SO much going for it that I hope they find a way to let folks know better what they are getting. Not everyone will have the fortune to be able to talk to a manager who can explain and help you choose a great room. It wasn't an issue for me, but I saw how it could be for others, and that's a shame given everything else the hotel has going for it. It's the best spot in Key West.

Room Tip: 263 (or the floor above) was amazing.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BB4th

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive comment-it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We do state that we have a cruise ship port on the home page of our website so our guests will be informed. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.