We recently stayed at the Westin Key West Resort & Marina, from April 20-26th.
We had booked online at spg.com for Starwoods Preferred Guests and had booked an Oceanfront Room and specified, "true Oceanfront Room with high floor"
On arrival we received a fairly friendly welcome, once we arrived at room we ventured out onto a puny balcony for our "Oceanfront "view of a marina and view of a large berthed Yacht and an even larger Cruise ship, no Ocean View and definitely not Ocean "Front".
A quick trip back to the front desk, resulted in being offered an alternative room, that was truly oceanfront, Suite 163, that while on the ground floor, provided a superb Oceanfront View, twin rocking chairs on a large patio and a great vantage point for the daily "Sunset Celebration".
The pool area and pool are quite compressed, but we never had difficulty in finding chairs to hang out there.
We had breakfast twice and dinner once at the Oceanfront Bistro 245, and both the food and service were very good.
We took advantage of the Sunset Key Island on three occasions across the Harbour and accessible by launch. This is an excellent guest feature that you should check out and is well worth the $20 per person fee. Although the description of the fee as being "nominal" (dictionary defined as: "being trifling in comparison with the actual value") is not really accurate. Twenty bucks is a lot of dough and I encountered several guests at the concierge desk who were "sticker shocked" at the fee. Get to concierge desk before the 8:00 opening. I discovered showing up at 9:00 that they had already sold out the beach passes that are apparently capped at 40 per day. Even then you should take the first boat out to the beach at 9:15, as after that time the lone beach attendant is scrambling to secure chairs for everyone.
We had both lunch and dinner at the Latitudes restaurant at the Sunset Key Island, which featured outstanding food and service, and an unbelievable setting. You must check this place out.
The overall staff experience was top-notch, very friendly, courteous quite attentive and responsive.
The only exception was a very negative experience when we made an inquiry at the front desk of the Sunset Key Island adjacent to the Latitudes Restaurant on last Wednesday after lunch.
Given that we were essentially paying a daily $40 premium to visit the Beach there, we were curious on the price differential between an Oceanfront Room at the Westin and a One Bedroom cottage at the Sunset Key, if it was minor we would've upgraded and stayed there for the balance of our stay.
The receptionist there, dismissively babbled out the Westin website address and suggested that we check out room rate availability and pricing there online and advised that she did not have any pricing information as they were in the process of changing the rates.
None of this response rung true it appeared that we were getting the "not subtle at all" brush off by this brusque individual. When I advised that I was well aware off the website and we had booked our reservation there initially, and I was quite serious in my inquiry.
She responded that if I we were "really, really, really, serious" that she would look into this. Finally, she quickly advised that there was no room availability on the Friday in any event. Her unpleasant treatment was the only exception to otherwise excellent customer service that we had encountered. This particular employee is better suited to a back of the house role, versus front of the house role -- one far removed from direct guest interactions.
My other observation would be on the housekeeping, that I would describe as a cursory "once over" only versus a thorough room cleaning process.
Also, our room was near a staff lunchroom and we had to, on more than one occasion, run a gauntlet of staffers hanging out in the hallway adjacent to it, and once immediately directly in the alcove in front of our door blocking access to our room.
While obviously staff need to have their lunch and rest area, management should advise and attune the staff on the poor guest optics of congregating and loitering in spaces adjacent to guest rooms.
We also once encountered a staff person having a post lunch siesta in the shade of a palm tree immediately adjacent to our room patio.
Advice: Be insistent on getting a true Oceanfront room at the time of check in. Management's definition of this and a reasonable guest's expectation vary greatly. During our short stay I overheard numerous guests complaining about this fact. Westin should differentiate between an Oceanfront and a OceanView/Marina View and price accordingly. Their current pricing practice is quite dubious at best.
Overall though an top-notch vacation and the Westin Key West Resort is clearly one of, if not the best, properties in the Key West area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located right on the waterfront of Old Town Key West, just steps from the famous Mallory Square, and one block from Duval Street is the Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina - a hub of relaxation and luxury in the middle of all of the excitement that Key West is famous for. Experience the beauty of the sparkling sea, access to water sports, and endless dining, shopping, and entertainment options all just steps away. Our marina is one of the three cruise ports in Key West welcoming cruise ships from around the world. Dine on fresh island cuisine, indoors, on a deck, or oceanside. Sip a cocktail and lounge by our outdoor pool surrounded by lush native plants, or take a launch to the nearby private beach on Sunset Key. Rejuvenation awaits in the serenity of our massage studio. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Key West Resort & Marina Hotel Key West
- The Westin Key West Resort And Marina
- Key West Hilton
- Key West Westin