“Overall excellent”

Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Key West
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had never been to Key West and planned a trip to Florida with the highlight being 3 days/nights in Key West. I was interested in the Westin for several reasons....the location, it was pet-friendly, and I'm a SPG member. The price put me off a little, but I decided if I was driving all the way to Florida from the north, that I would do it right. I originally booked an ocean view room, but then the price dropped a little and I got an ocean front room, which was the right thing to do for us. We could have stayed at other hotels in town, or cheaper with a shuttle, but the view and location to town and the sunset was unbeatable.

I must say that I was pretty nervous with the reviews. I have to give kudos to one of their newer managers, Amy, who spent some time with me on the phone and through email describing the different rooms and helping me decide. She also helped get me what I think might be one of the best rooms in the hotel as well as Key West...room 263 with a wrap around balcony. It was the best of all worlds....an amazing view, not blocked completely even with the cruise ships there, and a great view of Mallory Square for the sunset celebration. We didn't have to go stand with the crowds, we could watch from our balcony and the sunsets were amazing. In the morning, it was quiet and serene with an amazing ocean view. I also have to give kudos to the concierge, an in particular Becky and Kristina, who helped us rent a boat, find a pet-friendly restaurant on the beach, and a pet-friendly taxi. The room service and food was also really fantastic at the Westin. If you want the best spot for an ocean front view and sunset celebration, book an ocean front view. I am SO glad I didn't go for the ocean view...from the looks of it, you pretty much see the pool or town, with just a slight distant view of the ocean. If you're just staying there to see the town, that's something different. I haven't seen many reviewers commend the housekeeping staff but they were very friendly and helpful as well; so were the bell staff. I thought the rooms were great and the beds fantastic as usual. Our room was quite a distance from the elevators, but still worth it for the view....again, honestly one of the best spots in Key West to see everything. Amy was great in helping us get that room.

I don't think it would be fair of me not to give an honest comment of my only concern, because I have read it on so many other reviews. As wonderful as the people were as described above, and I think the property is incredible as well as the location, a few of the staff people did come off as slightly rude....a few at the front desk and a female hotel operator. (Jose, one of the operators was great). Also a couple of the bartenders. It only put a slight damper on some of the moments for me, but I think the hotel should spend a little time to make sure all the staff understands where their bread and butter comes from. They could learn from the folks I have described above. But don't let that deter you....the property is amazing, the food great, the convenience, location, and view, and most of the staff who go the extra mile make it well worth it.

Lastly, I feel I should comment on the cruise ships. The room we had was great, and Amy even reached out and told me about the ships and the calendar as I was booking the room. We were there on a slower week, and again the ship that was there only partially blocked my view. Does the hotel have the responsibility to "advertise" that ships might be blocking the view for others? In my opinion, they don't necessarily have a responsibility, but I think they are hurting their own reputation based on the reviews here to not be a little more proactive. I saw countless responses from their general manager on this site that to the effect of "the cruise calendar is published..." but who books an "oceanfront" room thinking they better search the internet for what might be obstructing it on a regular basis? I have seen other hotels which advertise a partially obstructed view, etc. And by the way, it sure didn't look like the ocean view had much of a view as the reviews have confirmed. The hotel has SO much going for it that I hope they find a way to let folks know better what they are getting. Not everyone will have the fortune to be able to talk to a manager who can explain and help you choose a great room. It wasn't an issue for me, but I saw how it could be for others, and that's a shame given everything else the hotel has going for it. It's the best spot in Key West.

Room Tip: 263 (or the floor above) was amazing.
2  Thank BB4th
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to post such a positive comment-it's always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We do state that we have a cruise ship port on the home page of our website so our guests will be informed. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sales and Marketing Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,384)

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Love having cruise ships and large yachts in your backyard? This hotel is for you. Great rooms, service and location. Rooms were well appointed and had amazing beds and pillows. Property is located next to all the action but is still very quiet. Watching the sunset and the street performers is a must and its located just outside your door. Easy walk to great restaurants along the boardwalk and marinas.

Dear Guest:

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Key West Resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We planned a little getaway for my birthday at this hotel. Being platinum we used points for the stay. I have stayed here multiple times before and got an upgrade all times to a two bedroom suite. I spoke with my ambassador to use these new upgrade certificates to ensure we got the two bedroom suite as we had friends staying with us. Well what a disappoint. After it specifically being arranged with a manager for us to have the suite we get there to find out they have us upgraded(not) to a room with two double beds. Wow what a great upgrade for me and my husband on my birthday. After I raised hell they told us they could give us the suite but it wasn't available on the last night of our stay. So my ambassador would need to book another room on points which they said was avaialble. Of course .. Ambasssador goes to book and it was never available. So I was soo disgusted we just went and checked out and went and stayed at Sheraton suites instead!! Staff, especially management was not what I would expect! Their resolution was to offer me a cottage and I would have to pay $500 a night on top of the 20k points a night! That was adding insult to injury at that point. The whole new benefit of the upgrade certificates for your top guests is really a joke!!! And since they have expanded the ambassador program no hotels are even making it special for those guests hardly ever anymore.. So it's becoming pretty much a useless service!! I used to get amazing upgrades and really treated like a special guest at every hotel I went to.... Now I have to say in the past year.. All I have gotten is more and more disappointment and I have found myself being more open to trying other hotel chains to see what they have to offer. Starwood really isn't continuing to make it worth my wild to be loyal!

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank travelqueen15
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nothing special about this place. Don't ask for an extra pickle with your sandwich, room service this was, cause they will tell you no. Ice water is another no mam we only have bottle water. Really, I did get ice water earlier in the day with room service.

Shower water pressure is terrible. Also, there were four of us staying in the room. The first day we had 2 wash clothes the second day one was left. I called down to get three more, at 3pm, it is now midnight and still waiting for them wash clothes.

The rooms are clean but nothing special, beds are comfortable though. I do not feel it is worth the price, have stayed at much better places.

We are going to the spa tomorrow but have to take a ferry over to a island as there is no spa on the grounds. I thought it was strange tat when we called the spa there was no answer, had to go down to the concierge and they sent them an email with our information and then they called us. Not to convenient. This is a spa owned by the Westin.

Would never stay here again, very disappointed.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Beth K

Dear Guest:

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It is regrettable that our resort did not meet your expectations. One of the purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This pretty much says of my frustration ... in spite of everything I made sure to have a good time and I found along the way many kind and friendly individuals. If I ever go back to Key West, will go somewhere else. And I am a member of 'Starwood Preferred Guest' group.

First I want to say that the HOUSEKEEPING service for my room was excellent every day and that everyone we encountered was very friendly. We really appreciate the cheese plate sent to our room the day after our arrival on behalf of the hotel staff, it was a nice touch.

Too bad we had no table at a normal height with chairs to sit while enjoying the snack.

Another problem is that our friend had entrusted the concierge with a gift certificate for us to be enjoyed for our Golden Anniversary’s dinner. We never received it and after we got home when our friend called us, finally in an embarrassing tone she inquired if we had used the certificate; when I told her that we did not get one, she called the hotel and the concierge told her that it was still in her desk; when my friend asked her why was it still in her possession instead of having been delivered to the guest, the answer was “we have two buildings you know” – like to say ‘we are overworked!’ So DO NOT trust the concierge with anything of importance.

Although the room (# 360) was spacious, the room layout is very poor, like if no design or planning had been used to decorate.
Like I said no table of regular height with chairs in the room; the lonely very small chair along with the desk one is NOT sufficient for two guests, never mind if one has visitors.
Two units for heat/AC with 2 thermostats but only one unit was working.
Two balconies but one was useless because it was above the big A/C units for the restaurant and lounge and always very noisy so very hot from the AC use below.
No drapes yet the woodwork indicated that it was trimmed to accommodate drapes.
Location of pictures on the wall was wrong too.
Stepping from the room into the balcony was not easy, too steep.
No light over the coffee service area (very good coffee and tea service), the complimentary refrigerator was emitting a very loud high pitch noise.
In the bathroom the toilette paper roller was too far away in the wall and the shower floor was very slippery.

Plainly: The room needs reconfiguration and updating. Not good enough for the price charged.
The elevator is at the front of the building overlooking the hotel entrance, but the room is far away at the opposite end – that is where the oceanfront rooms are located; too far … at least another elevator is really needed.

I had requested 4 months in advance that the room did not fall into having an obstructed view if and when a cruise ship was there, but room # 360 did not have a clear view of the sunset when on Jan 26, 2013 the cruise ship was parked in front of our room until very late in the evening. Two more ships came in while we were there for our 5 days vacation, they were shorter in length but still I was not expecting to be looking at a ship for ONCE IN A LIFE TIME VACATION.

I want to acknowledge Chantell in reservation for her patience and kindness when I made my reservation.

Room Tip: If you want to stay there because of the ocean, the sunset and everything else there .... ask for th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MAST48
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. The hotel was renovated in 2010 including the rooms. The designation of ocean front and ocean view stem from their view of the water, not anything to do with the cruise ships. Ocean front rooms directly face the water and water can be seen from inside the guest room. Ocean view rooms have an indirect or partially obstructed view of the water, or water can be seen from the balcony/patio. We feel we are very clear in these designations, as we want our guests to be informed of what they are reserving. While we do have an active cruise ship port (which we state on our website), cruise ships do not dock here every day. The City of Key West has a cruise ship calendar available for everyone to see on their website. This schedule is subject to change, and therefore, it is not possible to predict/guarantee/notify guests about the presence or absence of a cruise ship when guests books a room. I spoke to the concierge regarding the gift certificate and it is my understanding the person who ordered the gift certificate did not mention it was a surprise. If they would have known, they would have taken it to the front desk and the guest would have received it at check in. The concierge had the gift certificate at the concierge desk to be picked up. The Concierge Supervisor did apologize as notes should have been made in the reservation and offered compensation as a good faith gesture which was refused. Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Though the room was described as deluxe ocean front, it was actually ocean view. This view was then blocked by a yacht and daily stream of cruise ships. There were little amenities here. No bar to hang out in, restaurant is basic and the room had little to offer in extras (honor bar, movies, etc.). The room wasn't deluxe. It was small, but did feel like a Westin. On the good side: Great West bed, the pool wasn’t busy and it was heated, and the location relative to Duval. Though I remain loyal to Starwood, there is no need to go out of your way to stay here. I suggest staying in a guest house or a property worth the price.

Room Tip: Unless you are booking ocean front suite, go with the less expensive pool rooms. The ocean front is...
1  Thank WayneBrock
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear guest:

We appreciate the time you took to write this review. The designation of ocean front and ocean view stem from their view of the water. Ocean front rooms directly face the water and water can be seen from inside the guest room. Ocean view rooms have an indirect or partially obstructed view of the water, or water can only be seen from the balcony/patio. We feel we are very clear in these designations, as we want our guests to be informed of what they are reserving. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

After a very busy week in Miami we met one of our vendors in Key West. On recommendation we reserved a room here at The Westin Key West Resort & Marina. After a long day of meetings and the drive south, it was nice to be treated so wonderfully.
As this is there busy time of year it didn't matter. The front desk took their time and not only upgraded my room to a suite (thanks for this) they also provided a comped drink to the room. They even offered to add some additional points for the stay (as a SPG business traveler it's nice to always get extra points).
Accommodations were amazing. They upgraded the bedding to the new SPG pillows and such so this was definitely a treat to sit on the balcony, feel the breeze and enjoy what the area has to offer. Dinner and bar service were equally as wonderful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the harbor side looking over the court yard. And yes, it's quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank O M
SheratonKeyWest, Manager at Margaritaville Key West Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Guest:

We have read your review and are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Key West Resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.