“One of the few in the Keys”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Key West Golf Club

Key West Golf Club
Ranked #69 of 294 Outdoor Activities in Key West
Key West, Florida
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“One of the few in the Keys”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

Florida may be known for golf, but there's just not much room for courses down here. This course has been around for a long time and still does a great job.

Visited March 2012

Key West
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 249 helpful votes
“The only game in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I am lucky enough to have played some of the finest courses in the country. For what they charge tourists to golf here, you may expect something amazing. Sadly, this is not the case. What you need to consider is their location. It is tough to grow lush green grass in this environment and water is very expensive in the Keys. It is a fairly long course and is quite well laid out. They have made it as visually interesting as possible considering it is built on flat land with hard rock just below the surface. I prefer a hilly course and have never liked moguls, but they have done a pretty good job. After the last round of hurricanes they had to completely redo the greens. I think they have it right now with a drought tolerant grass that is more able to survive a salt water bath if the surge comes again. They have 4 sets of tee boxes on every hole. They are also working on some new landscaping and what they have do so far is quite lovely, lots of grasses. The staff is nice, they have a good small pro shop, The bar/restaurant is iffy, but OK. My biggest complaint is their bunkers. There are a lot of bunkers and they are terrible. I have scratched and dented several clubs while hitting out of the bunkers. There are actual rocks, many the size of grapes in every bunker. The sand that is there is really just ground coral and not nice. Yesterday when we played there was standing water in several of the traps and you could putt the ball right out. When I tried to take a full swing one time I thought I had broken my wrist because the sand was so packed and firm. The city trucks in sand from the mainland for the beaches. Seems like a "championship" course could spring for some decent beach type sand for their bunkers.
There are ducks,ibis and assorted birds all over the course. In addition, we must have seem over a dozen iguanas on the 15th hole alone. Local wildlife is fun to see on a golf course.
Overall, it is a fine course as long as the price is fair. I would not be happy if I had to pay tourist prices, but then tourists who want to golf in the Southernmost city may not care much about the price.
I am looking forward to our next round.

Visited April 2012
4 Thank guavagirlKW
Morgantown, West Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice round”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I played a round with one of the Key West locals. I got to learn a lot about the island on this trip. The course was pretty nice, very open. I rented clubs and had a 1 oclock tee time and it was only $95. I've been to Hawaii where it would have cost 2-3 times that.

2 Thank KingofMorgantown
Saugatuck, Michigan
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Good track, nothing spectacular. Nice staff, fairly good value.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

I played every morning at 6:40 am, as a solo and got around quickly. Fairly nice track; could use some more sand in the bunkers. Take more club than you think; all the greens are elevated and play long. Greens roll good.

2 Thank Uraway
Florence, KY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Southernmost golf course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Perfect weather, sunny and in the middle 70s. The course was in excellent shape and play moved along nicely. A very enjoyable and friendly course with some challenging holes, but overall a fun.course. A little pricey, ($102.13) but worth it.

1 Thank Ray H