All reviewshot tubhappy hourmarky markstay someplaceoverlooking duval streetpool bargay resorttrip to key westgreat roomnohnoisepropertyloftjeffconveniencerefrigeratorkw
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We came for a weekend. We initially booked a simple room with a private bath. However, the person that was there wanted to stay a few more days so instead of moving him to another room they just upgraded us to the loft next to it. I loved this room. I loved the pool and the pool party on Saturday. The breakfast out on the balcony in the morning (which is free) was fresh and very pleasant. Nice place to have a light breakfast on Duval while Key West awakes.

Room Tip: I loved the loft suite on the balcony. You can access it either from the front balcony or through the gym/pool
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have been to Key West 10 times, but had never stayed at New Orleans House/Bourbon Street. Always thought it would be too noisy, and too much going on with the club downstairs, but the room was quite a bit cheaper than Island House for a much bigger room, so we said, "What the heck?" Obviously the location is the BEST, by far, right in the middle of Duval. We called on a Tuesday night and flew down the next morning, arriving to check in early around noon. We were greeted at the front desk by Neil. What a great guy, very personable and friendly, he took us for a tour of the facility and showed us our room. We chose one toward the back of the complex that opened up to the sundeck above the pool. We figured if there was any noise from the club, this would be the best choice, and it was fantastic! We found there was a small problem with one of the doors, and Neil fixed it immediately. The room was immaculate, opened into a nice, large exercise room with great machines and weights. There is an entrance/exit to Duval, or if you want to go through the bar during open hours, you can do that too. We kinda liked that. There is alse a great entrance/exit to the side street (Petronia) that you can use if you want after hours. The staff was absolutely GREAT! Every morning we were greeted outside, usually by the pool by Kirk with a big smile. The pool and hot tub were amazing, by the way, thanks to Kirk. Awesome pool with waterfall, it's a great place to sun during the day.. Tim was always very helpful, assisting us with all our housekeeping needs. Hazel's Cantina is a great place by the pool to have a quick bite. Freshly cooked food is served all day, and is VERY reasonable. He'll even bring it to you if you want to sit at the Garden Bar and eat. One day there was a pig roast and one of us asked if he could serve chicken or fish. He fired up the fryer/grill, met our special request, and served it with a smile. T.J. & Wesley were both Awesome serving up not only the best drinks on the island, but also lots of information and loads of fun! You guys rock! When we were about to leave, our flight wasn't scheduled to leave until about 5:00 pm. We were allowed to check out late, and spent most of the day at the complex so it was like our trip had an extra day. Upon calling our taxi to the airport, we waited outside for a long time. "Sparky" saw us waiting and told us to hop in his own car and he would take us. He drove us to the airport in his own vehicle! We certainly didn't want to leave, because we love it on the island so much. One day we plan to live here, but until we do, you can bet we will continue to come back to New Orleans House. Not only were we treated like royalty by all the staff, but we also left feeling like we had gained a bunch of new friends. That's what it's all about, isn't it? When on vacation, you want to feel like you are far away from your everyday routine, but you also want to feel like you are welcome, and surrounded by old friends. That's exactly what happened at New Orleans House. Big thanks to you all for everything, and helping to make this our BEST trip to "Bone Island" ever!!!!! Keith & Nelson, Nashville, Tennessee

Room Tip: You can make it what you want. If you want quieter, choose rooms toward the back, upstairs, like #26. Large, nice showers/Cold A/C/Great access to sundeck, exercise room, and pool!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KeithWilkerson
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I recently won a couple tickets to the Tropical Heat event in Key West. My friend from Chicago came down and we chose to stay at New Orlean House. After checking numerous places they offered the most price points and were very helpful via email with my many questions. They were up front in telling me which rooms would be near the bar and might be noisy. Due to limited availability because of this special event we ended up with one of the more economical rooms. Yes we could hear the music from the bars but it was not overbearing. We understood when we came here that was a part of the experience. The room was very nice and adequate and the staff was great. If you are looking for an upscale place where they will wait on you hand and foot and serve you a four course continental breakfast, this is not the place for you. In fact one morning when I went to enjoy the free continental breakfast, the first two raisin bagel I opened were moldy. I advised the manager and he quickly checked everything. He said they had a failure in the refrigerator and thought they had caught everything. We never had any other problems so I considered it as an isolated incident. There are some areas of the grounds that could use a little refurbishing but nothing that would hinder your enjoyment. If you want a place that is happening, fun and right in the thick of things, this is the place. We had a great time there and look forward to returning. They offer a lot of options with a pool and waterfall, hot tub, a tiki pool bar and two interior bars. The Bourbon Street boys frolic in the pool area during the day making it a fun place. I will admit one of them was getting a little irritating. We were sharing this with a gentleman at the bar only to find out he was the owner. We noticed a marked difference the next day. If you are looking for the classic Key West experience, this is the place to find it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

This was my first time to Key West. I loved the overall experience. There are many things to do, and the acceptance of this small island city was worth a return.

I have to admit that on my return visit, I will have to look for other accomodations. Location doesn't mean everything when I travel. Yes this hotel is centrally located on the main street, but this was not a place for rest. The club bounced all night, the bathroom was filthy, the beds seemed like they had been used by the hour, and the staff was the most unprofessional I have ever experienced for a gay owned establishment.

My only positive experience there was discussing my issues with a manager named Neil. He understood my concerns and tried to help me out. He was cordial, professional, and sincere. Unfortunately, his willingness to make me happy did not resolve the fact that I was staying in a dump.

I will return to Key West and I will enjoy the bars that are part of the New Orleans House complex; however, I will have to look elsewhere for accommodations. Accommodations which are adjoined to a club, bar, and glory hole wall do not meet my needs to rest and relax while on a vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank southernglobal
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2011

Thank you for your comments. We take all of our comments seriously and feedback like this is helpful in improving our property.

I am a little confused about your comments however. You say that you discussed your issues with me yet you were still unhappy. I make it a point to address every customer concern quickly and had I been made aware of this situation, I would have gone so far as to clean the bathroom myself. I would have also had a personal discussion with any employee at the guesthouse that you felt was unprofessional. We have been making improvements over the entire property over the last year and I have never had anyone refer to the property as a dump. I personally inspect rooms before a check in to ensure that it is ready for the next guest.

While there is little I can do about the noise, when taking a reservation, I try to ascertain the guests needs and place them in a room that suits their needs. I can't speak on this exact situation as I don't know what room you were in but perhaps you were on a budget and chose this room even after we advised you that it was one of our louder rooms? We do have rooms that are very quiet located on the backside of the property but it's possible they were already booked when you reserved. We do all we can to ensure that guests in our louder rooms are made aware of that when the room is actually booked. If we failed to do that in this instance, I sincerely apologize for that.

Finally, to try to assist you, I searched our records to find a person that stayed in July from Birmingham and I was not able to find anyone or I would have contacted you directly. Since I could not determine what room you were in or the circumstances of the situation, I'm also left with the possibility that this may be a fake review from a competitor. If so, shame on you for trying to hurt our reputation for your own gains.

Regardless, I've increased my room inspections and I will go over this review with my staff because whether or not this is a truthful review, I want to ensure that no guest ever feels this way on my property.

Neil Chamberlain
Guest House Manager

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Ok I have stayed all over the island but this is the greatest place to stay for the location and the price. They always have major events at the bar that is located within this complex which are free to guest. They have been in the process of remodeling every room and Neil makes going to New Orleans house an even better place to stay. Keep in mind that some of the rooms are over the bar below but if you are going to go to Key West to party then this is the location to stay. All the bars are in the same block. One more thing the pool and pool bar area are clothing optional men only unless an event is happening that night but is always hoping with hot guys.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo