All reviewshot tubhappy hourmarky markstay someplaceoverlooking duval streetpool bargay resorttrip to key westgreat roomnohnoisepropertyloftjeffconveniencerefrigeratorkw
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I've been coming here for years and it's so great to see the old manager back. It's better than ever. There's a new complimentary happy hour, the wifi actually worked the whole time I was there, the staff are all so friendly, and the rooms are clean and have all been refreshed. This is the best location to stay if you want to go out to the clubs.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I find it odd that there have been no reviews on New Orleans House in over 2 years?
As a repeat guest and regular traveler to Key West I feel my review is honest.

Rooms are basic but clean and larger than the norm. Everything worked. Beds and linens look recently updated/replaced. Basic continental breakfast is included too. Nice/modern gym. Location is key to this place being above a nightclub and in the middle of all the gay bars. With the exception of a couple pool bar tenders; all staff I encountered were friendly and personable.

Few big issues I can't get away from:
The "men only garden bar and pool area" is regularly invaded by women. Slow evenings (Sunday & Tuesday) saw local females drinking at the bar. Addressed it with the bar tender with no resolve.
Outdoor stairs and banisters are in desperate need of repair/rebuilding. Feels unsafe walking up to the roof top deck.
Chaise loungers are old/dirty/past their prime. Need to be replaced or at least reupholstered.
No DVD player or adult channels in rooms; kind of expected in this environment.
The "Man Cave" is a great concept however is over grown/neglected and scary.
For a place that promotes is male entertainment a couple strippers had bad attitudes and not friendly.
Restrooms by pool and inside nightclub are disgusting and old.

In conclusion the New Orleans House isn't a bad place just not great. However it would not be my first choice nor would I recommend it based on the ladies being allowed in the back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank bowman716
NewOrleansHouse, General Manager at New Orleans House, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Thank you very much for your review. With valuable feedback such as this, we can respond to our guests needs and create a better environment for all of our guests.

I want to assure you that we take your comments very seriously. I am working with the bar manager to ensure that the bartenders enforce our male only policy. We have had some guests comment that it would be nice to allow women back in our garden bar on occasion since many gay men do have female friends they would like to share the garden bar with. For this reason, we have selected Tuesday nights as "Ladies Night" where we open the garden bar and pool area to women. The upper decks remain men only on Tuesday nights. Other than that time, the bartenders should enforce the men only policy.

I have also met with the bar manager to review your other comments in regards to the bar and dancers. Unfortunately, these issues are out of my control but he will meet with the individuals that are involved.

As soon as I read your review, I had our stairs to the third floor reinforced with cross beams. Though this staircase is only four years old, I did feel the movement you mentioned and I can see how you would be concerned. I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I knew it was safe but I can see how that would feel to someone else.

The "man cave" has also been cleaned out and we will keep a closer eye on it. Being that there is no roof, leaves are constantly blowing in but we will be more diligent in cleaning out the area.

Your other suggestions are all upgrades we are planning in the future. We recently installed new flooring in some rooms, installed a gym, replaced all the bedding, upgraded our pool towels, and upgraded our wifi. We are currently installing central air in the gym and all the rooms are getting new lamps within the next 30 days. We have been investigating a misting system for our sundeck as well as recovering the deck chairs.

We had not looked into adding adult channels but I will investigate this possibility. We do have DVD players available at the front desk so please feel free to ask at your next visit.

I hope you will visit us again and see all the improvements we are making.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed May 24, 2009

Stayed here with my partner the weekend before Memorial Day 2009. We drove down from Miami on a whim.

The location is awesome, within perfect walking distance of everything in the area. Several gays bars within 1 or 2 blocks.

However, the rooms are all up stairs. And the one we got assigned was extremely too loud to sleep comfortably. I paid $172.83, with tax, for one night....

I expect at least a quite room for that price. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen F
Reviewed January 3, 2009

All the rooms are on top of one of the most popular bars in Key West (good and fun bar, though). But, this do that you can´t steer your own holiday.....the bar and nightclub closes at 4 AM. And before that it is no idea of thinking about sleeping...and this goes on evenening after eveneing....not fun in the end.

Stay somewhere else, and go to the bar and have fun. And leave/go to sleep when you want.....

To expensive. To simple, To dirty. Neah, don´t stay here.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank ChrisStockholm
Reviewed November 23, 2007

I know where we're staying the next time we go to Key West.

We spent a single night at the New Orleans House to scout things out for a future trip. Honestly, we were a little concerned after having read some reviews which talked about the loud noise. We booked Room 26 and were very happy with the choice. Matt (I think that was his name) who checked us in was very friendly and helped us park and showed us to our room.

My partner and I don't go out to bars much when we are home, but like to check out the activities when we are out of town. New Orleans House is the perfect opportunity to do this. Since it is directly above the Bourbon Street Pub, we were able to walk downstairs and enjoy people watching (including cute bar dancers ;-P ) When we got tired, we could just walk back upstairs. As for the noise, we often go to sleep with the TV on. This really wasn't much different than that. I don't know if the Friday night in question was different than normal or if other rooms might be louder, but it worked out great.

Because we were there only a short time, we didn't avail ourselves of the the hot tub or pool, although they looked nice. (We loved the waterfall which fell into the pool -- the sound was so relaxing). The Garden Bar is adjacent to the hot tub and pool and was a quieter place to relax and have a drink.

Parking is very limited, but we lucked out during our stay and were able to park inside the premises. We drove down from Ft. Lauderdale is the reason we had a car -- otherwise we wouldn't have one. There really isn't much of a reason to have a car there.

The room has a small refrigerator, microwave and all the essentials to save a few bucks on food if you wanted to. I suspect it is due to the water, but when my partner made coffee using the provided maker and coffee, it was awful.

If you are looking for a quiet getaway or opulent surroundings, this place may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a fun place right in the middle of the action on Duval Street, New Orleans House is a great place to stay. Again, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JRDH