“Fun Place on Duval Street”
Review of New Orleans House

New Orleans House
Ranked #55 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 23, 2007

I know where we're staying the next time we go to Key West.

We spent a single night at the New Orleans House to scout things out for a future trip. Honestly, we were a little concerned after having read some reviews which talked about the loud noise. We booked Room 26 and were very happy with the choice. Matt (I think that was his name) who checked us in was very friendly and helped us park and showed us to our room.

My partner and I don't go out to bars much when we are home, but like to check out the activities when we are out of town. New Orleans House is the perfect opportunity to do this. Since it is directly above the Bourbon Street Pub, we were able to walk downstairs and enjoy people watching (including cute bar dancers ;-P ) When we got tired, we could just walk back upstairs. As for the noise, we often go to sleep with the TV on. This really wasn't much different than that. I don't know if the Friday night in question was different than normal or if other rooms might be louder, but it worked out great.

Because we were there only a short time, we didn't avail ourselves of the the hot tub or pool, although they looked nice. (We loved the waterfall which fell into the pool -- the sound was so relaxing). The Garden Bar is adjacent to the hot tub and pool and was a quieter place to relax and have a drink.

Parking is very limited, but we lucked out during our stay and were able to park inside the premises. We drove down from Ft. Lauderdale is the reason we had a car -- otherwise we wouldn't have one. There really isn't much of a reason to have a car there.

The room has a small refrigerator, microwave and all the essentials to save a few bucks on food if you wanted to. I suspect it is due to the water, but when my partner made coffee using the provided maker and coffee, it was awful.

If you are looking for a quiet getaway or opulent surroundings, this place may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for a fun place right in the middle of the action on Duval Street, New Orleans House is a great place to stay. Again, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JRDH

Reviewed July 30, 2007

I stay in Key West for 4 jul this year..it is absolutly male only resort. Locations is good - everywhere is close besides the beach but in this island it is normal.
Hotel is old, dont have wirrles internet , rooms are big but need general refreshing.
It is good place only for very out going gay guys who likes to party to late houres ( 2 big bars in the hotel + 4 different bars around the block ).
In the rooms is very noisy up to late houres - guest ussualy 40 and up.
Generaly it is 2** accomodations - low standard for very good money

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2007

This is a "men only" gay hotel. My buddy and I rented #23 A & B which gave us each a private bedroom with a shared bath. We paid about $200 per night, including tax, so it was a good deal considering we each had our own bedroom. The place is clean and fairly well maintained. (From some of the other reviews, I was afraid the place would be filthy, but it was not)

The staff was very friendly and helpful. When I mentioned the low flow of the shower head the first morning there, it was replaced with a new one when I returned to the room that afternoon.

The pool and outdoor bar area is great, but having a popular bar on the first floor was a problem as the noise from the music continued until about 3 am each night. I had to take a sleeping pill to get through the nights. And since the place is right on Duval, the general noise in the area is high.

Great place and location if your there to party through the weekend!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2006

withouta doubt one of the worst places I have ever stayed,filthy dirty, unending noise,rude untrained staff,even the bartenders were rude.
Spend a few extra bucks and stay someplace decent not this
really awful place

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank mamiefan
Reviewed February 21, 2006

I should point out first of all that I am a hotel manager myself, and I know that sometimes these critical reviews are as much the fault of the expectations of the guest as the establishment itself.

Unfortunately I was genuinely upset by the standards of this hotel. I accept that many who come to Key West come to party hard and perhaps don't care too much about where they stay. The idea of a club with rooms is great, but not practical! Sleeping before 4am is just not an option!

But my main axe to grind is the state of the rooms. There is just no excuse for bad housekeeping and maintenance. The rooms are filthy - even down to the linen, and the pool area is dirty too. The bar staff spend more time chatting to their friends than checking empty glasses / dirty ashtrays around the pool and garden, so the place ends up looking like a giant trash can by the evening.

If this hotel was cheap I really wouldn't bother to complain - but it isn't.

I know island life is laid back - but having staff so laid back has resulted in standards slipping to an appaling level.

Sorry guys, but get your act together!

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank MatthewGreen
A TripAdvisor Member
new hampshire
Reviewed December 15, 2005

the new orleans house is a great place to stay. my girlfriend and i were treated like royalty. the owners and everyone who worked there were awesome. i've stayed there twice now and i'm thinking about going again. i can't say enough good things about this place!!!

• Stayed: March 2001
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Michigan
Reviewed January 4, 2005

We have just finished a week of revelry at New Orleans House including their famous new year's eve bash. The location is excellent - right in the center of Duval! We had a ball watching the crowd most of whom were willing to do just about anything to catch the beads we were throwing from the balcony. Nice backyard too with large jacuzzi, pool, and a bar. This area is tagged clothing-optional but you have to be really gutsy to shed all your clothing as strangers are free to roam the backyard (even non-hotel guests). Needless to say, don't expect a secluded and private atmosphere to lose your inhibitions.

There is a huge bar with a small dancefloor on the main level that plays thumping loud noise from around 10 PM to 4 AM. The bar is quite cruisy with male dancers in G-strings. I guess that's great if you're a party-all-night kind of person 'cause you won't be able to sleep since the noise literally bounces off into the guest rooms.

Everyone from the staff to the cleaning lady was very helpful and accomodating.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member