“There are better places for lunch”
Review of Schooner Wharf Bar

Schooner Wharf Bar
Ranked #112 of 460 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery
Description: Open Air Waterfront Bar - 2 Happy Hours Daily 8 a.m - noon & 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Great Live Music Day & Night - Local and National Acts - House Magician Nightly - Home of Classic Tall Ships & Tall Sailing Tales - Voted Most Local Popular Bar Since 1993 - Raw Bar with Fresh Gulf Shrimp & Oysters - Tempting Island Cuisine & Munchies - Serving a Great Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner & In BetweenJoin us were locals feel welcome and visitors feel local!
Reviewed December 29, 2009

On the plus side, the food is edible and good value, though the service is indifferent as customers clearly just interfere with the wait-staff's conversation. Location is good to, and the rough and ready nature of the place makes a change from bland chain restaurants. If you are a music lover, you might want to choose a day when Michael McCloud has a day off - if Eric Clapton ever witnesses McCloud's interpretation of Layla, the man will find himself in the harbor with an anchor tied to his neck. Also, beware the pooping pigeons that sit on the edge of the parasols, just above the non-parasoled seats. Yes, I'd recommend it to a friend, because they all enjoy good music and I'm cruel sometimes...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,252)

Reviewed December 26, 2009

The blackened mahi mahi sandwich with all the toppings is superb. The hot wings are very good and the chowder ain't bad at all. And the serivce is fun and efficient. All there bartenders are fun and that is what counts. No one should shy away from a wonderful outdoor experience at this place. Sit at the bar and get the real feel of it.

2  Thank ohbo
Reviewed December 14, 2009

Schooner Wharf has a reputation in Key West, but its not the one they advertise. Claiming themselves as a 'historical' part of Key West, I invited about a dozen friends to meet there for lunch. THAT WAS A HORRIBLE MISTAKE.

Dispite the place being an outdoor shack near the waterfront, it seemed as if none of the servers wanted to assist our table. After 10 minutes trying to flag down a waitress, drinks arriving another 5-7 minutes later, I'd say it was at least 25-30 minutes before she finally took our lunch orders. ***I later found out this is typical of their lack of service there*** I found out that the guy "Michael McCloud" who was singing has been VOTED as the WORST SINGER in Key West by the local yacht owners in the marina, and they were right. -His attempted singing was HORRIBLE, -the waitress later claimed "Oh, thats just his "style" of singing...

Finally, when the food did arrive, it was lukewarm, and of what I'd have to consider to be the lowest quality a restaraunt could buy. The drinks were really watered down as well, and again, the MUSIC WAS HORRIBLE!

The bottom line, we couldn't wait to get our bill (which again we had to wave arms, shout, and get the waitress to remember us) and get the heck out of there and go somewhere to put that miserable experience behind us. We later called the restaraunt to speak to the manager of the lousy service, only to get an answering machine, and neither did they return our email that expressed our concerns of the poor service they offer unsuspecting tourists.

***Despite the hype, I truly recommend visitors to consider alternative entertainment.

2  Thank KuyaKano
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Okay keep this in perspective. This is not supposed to be a fancy “nice” bar but more of a local laid back “hang out bar” If you are looking for “less expensive” drinks with a good conversation with good local people this is where you will find it. They have some live music and some great entertainment in the way of a resident magician. Again don’t let the rating fool you, this is more of a “dive bar” with no AC and expect it to be like that, I just like the down to earth “care free” place.

Negatives: I didn’t stay for too long so cant review too much but I personally wasn’t too impressed with the “Magician,” Frank I think, Don’t get me wrong all around me were amazed by the 3 or 4 repeating card tricks but I could easily see how they were being done. I am not even saying I could do them as well as he was doing it but just wasn’t “amazed” but again many others were…

1  Thank Trimada
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is our favorite place to go while in Key West. Micheal Mcloud plays each afternoon. He sells his CDs and his music can now be heard on XM and Sirius radio. Bar is located right on the harbor and is a very laid back and relaxing place to enjoy an afternoon. There are some shady spots available on the side and around the bar. Servers are very attentive. Several different drinks are available and beer list is okay.

We have also had brunch here. The mimosas are the best.

1  Thank Gwendolyn H