“Keep your eye on the bartender!”
Review of Schooner Wharf Bar

Schooner Wharf Bar
Ranked #81 of 450 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery
Description: Open Air Waterfront Bar - 2 Happy Hours Daily 8 a.m - noon & 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Great Live Music Day & Night - Local and National Acts - House Magician Nightly - Home of Classic Tall Ships & Tall Sailing Tales - Voted Most Local Popular Bar Since 1993 - Raw Bar with Fresh Gulf Shrimp & Oysters - Tempting Island Cuisine & Munchies - Serving a Great Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner & In BetweenJoin us were locals feel welcome and visitors feel local!
Reviewed April 13, 2008

My wife and I have been to Schooner Wharf several times the past two years and it has always been one of our favorite bars in Key West. It has always been a great spot to drink and eat some shrimp.

We visited twice last week while on vacation in the Keys. Both visits, I noticed when ordering a shot of JagerMeister, the bartender (Mike) would pour two. One for me, one for him. Even if I ordered with another bartender, they would tell him and he would do his little trick. Quite an operation! He would hide his by the cash register, or shoot it when he wasn't near me. The last straw was when I saw him pour two, then pour part of mine into his glass. He again placed his next to the cash register and gave me another short shot.

I called him on it. Caught off guard, he said "yeah, one for me, one for you. I have to work around drunks all day! It's not coming out of your pocket." Well, Mr. Mike, yes it is. This is a classic bartending trick of short pouring the customer's shot to allow for a little taste yourself and not throwing inventory levels off.

I watched him telling his fellow bartenders and wait staff a few minutes later that I had caught him and they kept looking over to me and laughing amongst themselves. Well, the laugh is on them, because I gave them a lousy tip and probably won't be back!

4  Thank BigDaddyPoly
Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed March 14, 2008

Great open air setting on the waterfront where some tall ships were docked. Live folk music performed by Michael McCloud was very Key West—good quality and funny. Good oysters-on-the-half shell and conch fritters.

Reviewed December 11, 2007

Very nice outdoor restaurant with great view of the harbor. The food was good and everyone seemed to enjoy their meal.
The bar is a great place and it's a nice way to do some people watching.

2  Thank Taz1260
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Loved the conch fritters here. And the oysters were so fresh and tasty. Great prices too. And our server was fabulous and snuck us in the happy hour although it was a few minutes past. Good music, too.

Reviewed July 5, 2007

This is the way Florida was 20+ years ago before everything started getting "upscale" and "trendy". I treasure this place!! Cold beer, good music, great food...what more do you need? Yes it looks worn out, yes the barstools wabble, but that is what is so good about it!! There is no better way to spend a lazy afternoon then on the water, people watching, drinking a cold beer, having a snack. This is the way Key West should be and we are loosing more and more of it every year. Enjoy Schooner Wharf for what it is...it truly IS the last little piece of old Key West. Check out the webcam!!

5  Thank TravelDragonFl