“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Indiana
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

.....My wife and I have wanted to visit the Keys for many years. This year, we finally did. We stayed half the time in Key West at the Author's Guesthouse. We were extremely pleased with our choice of a place to stay. We stayed in the Audubon room which was spacious, well decorated and clean. My only complaint was not having a sufficient number of outlets readily accessible to charge/ recharge our electronic equipment although we did manage quite well.
....We were able to park in the small parking lot and not move our car for 3 days since we could walk to many of the places we wanted to visit and to the places at which we choose to eat meals. While not fancy, our included continental breakfasts were quite good and we enjoyed talking with other guests while we ate. The staff was friendly, responsive and accommodating and made us feel welcome right from the time of check-in to the time of check-out.
.....The jacuzzi style pool was an excellent place to relax in after a day of sightseeing. It too was a great place to meet the other guests and talk with them. The staff kept it clean and inviting.
.....For those who do not want to walk a lot but who could ride a bike, you could park your car and have a rented bike delivered to the Guesthouse. The front desk would help you arrange it. A number of guests did so as do hundreds of people all over Key West.
.....We have stayed at many guesthouses in Florida and the Caribbean. Author's Guesthouse probably gave us the best stay for the price any where we have stayed.

• Liked — Location and ambiance
  • Disliked — location of outlets (although a minor concern)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

We decided to head to the Key's again after 7 years and after looking at different places to stay in Key West we went right back to Authors and got the same room!! We liked it then and we still like it now!! The library room is perfect for us with plenty of light and yet a nice patio with shade to enjoy. The breakfast is very nice with bagels, toppings(thanks for having peanut butter) fruit, yogurt and some really good coffee!!! We enjoyed the hot tub in the late afternoon and had it all to ourselves. It's a quiet place, but easy walking or biking around to the different sites. They called a bike rental place for us and set it all up. They had our bikes there in 20 min and off we went to explore. Highly Recommend!!

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

the hotel is quiet and a bit away from the main attractions but still everything is within walking distance. it is great if you want a quiet place to stay in. in my case, i stayed there with my daughter and unfortunately got very sick the 2nd day and Ramsey was so wonderful, calling the ambulance, staying with my daughter (even though this was after the office already closed), making the necessary phone calls. She even neatly folded everything back into my suitcase when it was time for me to leave the room and I was still in the hospital and sent all my things to the hospital. I was also given a refund for the days that I did not stay there. Ramsey went above and beyond to help me and my daughter and for that I give her 5 stars. The price is also quite a bargain and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay a bit off the beaten path and doesn't mind a bit of extra walking. In case of emergencies, you will be taken care of very well, especially if Ramsey is there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Authors Guesthouse. The main drag in Key West can be loud and overwhelming. The Authors Guesthouse is within walking distance of the festivities, but far enough off the beaten path to provide the calm and quiet we needed after a long day of sight seeing and shopping. It's clean, comfortable and roomy. The staff was very helpful - providing ideas on things to do and referring us to one of the best restaurants we've ever experienced. It was a great stay and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Second year of week long stay was as good as the first. Rented Tennessee Williams cottage last year and Hemingway cottage this year. A compact property, very clean, extremely friendly and helpful staff, two nice cats, and a quiet location. Nice breakfast each morning, not a lot of variety after a week, but one adapts. The two cottages are fun, funky furnishings, nothing too new, but makes it all feel more real. Staff and guests are helpful and interesting and there is a pleasant international feeling about the place.

Room Tip: Go for the cottages if you want a kitchenette, small grocery stores are convenient, and all food in...
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed here last weekend when we were in town for a wedding. We aren't big bed and breakfast people as we enjoy privacy, so the separate bathroom, air, refrigerator, and tv enticed me to book. Many places in Key West I tried to book required a 3 night stay and this one did not. We drove, so I was a little nervous about parking, but the inn keeper assured me there is plenty of street parking. We arrived after hours and our key was available exactly as stated on our check in directions. We found close parking on the street with no problem and left our car there for the entire stay. Two friendly felines greeted us at the gate. Rooms have separate entrances and the gate is locked after hours, both if which we appreciated. We stayed in the McCullers room, which was small, but not surprising as I saw a picture online. The room even had an ironing board and iron. The room was cool with air and a ceiling fan. The bathroom was a little tight, but that's not uncommon of older homes, so I wasn't shocked. There is only one outlet in the bathroom above the mirror and an extension cord would probably help if you plan to book this room. If not, no big deal as there are plenty of outlets in the main room. There is a dresser and an armoire to hang clothing and a nightstand. The fridge is a compact dorm-sized fridge, which was fine for a short stay. Breakfast was bagels, yogurt, and fruit, but we didn't partake anyway. I had a banana and used hot water for my own tea. Really, if you're expecting a gourmet or cooked meal, you're probably going to have to pay more at another B and B. Breakfast is served in the charming courtyard. And, we didn't really care to mingle anyway, so we weren't worried about breakfast. The pool is not huge, but we were fine with it. The staff was incredibly helpful in calling cabs and offering suggestions on the best way to get to the wedding venue. I honestly can't say enough about this place. We loved it! We usually stay in hotels when we go to key west, so this was a first. We will be back! The neighborhood was very quiet and a little off the beaten path, but we liked that because we are runners and we ran all over the place. We also walked to Duval Street and strolled along different routes on the way back. If you are unable or unwilling to walk or bike, then be prepared to take cabs. But part of the fun of key west is walking everywhere. We've been to key west numerous times, so we had already visited many of the sites. For us, this was a great getaway. Next time, I would likely book a larger room, but it was fine for our short stay. The only reason I didn't give one more star was because the water wasn't always the warmest for showers, but the pressure was fine. And the wifi was spotty during high peak times probably due to so many guests using it at the same time. It's a great quiet place for a romantic weekend!!

Room Tip: The rooms along white street and off the pool seemed the noisiest. If you can, bring an extension co...
1 Thank Amy S
Davenport, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My husband & I visited Key West to celebrate my 50th birthday. We loved the property, cleanliness & proximity to downtown -- quiet but walking distance to everything. The customer service cannot be beat! We stayed in the Poets room, which was spacious with a very comfortable king bed. We only had two small surprises: we had a coffee maker in the kitchen, but had to find a grocery to purchase coffee (none provided) & we were a little disappointed in the continental breakfast. The breakfast area was very nice, but pre-packaged bagels, yogurt & bananas/oranges? We were hoping for some local bakery items, cereal or toast. All in all a great experience.