“Great place to stay”

Ranked #31 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Ashburn, Virginia
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very nice place. The staff was very friendly and ready to help. Feels like family-owned place - clean, small and well-kept. Jacuzzi pool next to our door was also great. Would definitely recommend to friends!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hippocampus12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I just stayed in the Kirkwood Room at this property and enjoyed my stay here. It is a quaint and unique property with very helpful staff. I did not have much time in Key West but Tippi's assistance and help were great and I managed to do a lot of things when I was there.

It was also appreciated that the property made an effort to get my room ready when I arrived given that I had two overnight flights.

The breakfast offering in the morning was a good start to the day. I will stay at this property again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I've now been to KW 3 times in as many years. Twice we've stayed at Authors (cheap, fun(ky), atmospheric, and fantastic) and once we stayed at the Waldorff Astoria (fancy, overpriced, mildly run down, and devoid of character) when traveling with clients.

At roughly 1/3-1/4th the price (even if they were the same price), I *vastly* prefer Authors. Sure, there's no beach, but there is a great little grouping of rooms and bungalows, a nice little hot-tub/swimming pool, and the absolute friendliest staff on all of KW. Tippi and the other woman who works there (blanking on her name, starts with an R) are beyond friendly and hospitable, and both absolutely ooze personality and warmth. Really, these two are absolute gems, and warrant staying in Authors purely based on having them being your hosts.

I went down with a buddy (last time was with my wife) and we stayed in the Tennessee Williams cottage, which is close to the pool and reception...but was utterly quiet and peaceful. You have to walk through the main bedroom to get to the bathroom, but that would be about my only (incredibly minimal) complaint. When I arrived and saw that the bed in the livingroom was actually a futon, I feared the ultra-thin futons from my days in college, but this futon was downright luxurious, and I slept like a dream on all 4 nights that we stayed there. The small kitchen had ample tools to cook basic meals (we made eggs and sausage on the mornings), and the minifridge was cold enough to keep a six pack at a refreshing temperature. TVs are small, but if you came to KW to watch TV and stay in your room all day, you're doing it wrong. On the flipside, it's far enough from Duvall to feel more like a KW resident and to avoid all the chaos that is Duvall, yet you're only a 5-10 min walk from Duvall, so if you want to go down there, that's not a problem at all.

Additional bonus: this is not a giant chain hotel filled with rules, regulations, and BS. While you'll have to let yourself in if you arrive after the desk closes (6pm?) they still provide a key at the mailbox, including directions to your room and all the instructions and info you could need until you can do a formal check-in the following morning when the office opens. Beyond that (and maybe the best part), while there are hours listed for the time that the pool is open, it also says "If you're in the pool after hours, please be respectful of other guests and keep your voice down." Small things like that that take into account the human element of things (night swims are the best) are what make this place feel more like home than an uptight chain hotel, and what will make this place my absolute top choice for anywhere to stay (not even factoring in the uber-cheap pricing).

I'll say it again: Tippi and R-named-woman absolutely rule. R-named-woman instantly knew that we were trying to avoid the Duvall St Crawl and the Hard Rock Cafe, so she steered us in the completely opposite direction and gave us great (genuine/unsolicited) recommendations for both restaurants and bars (and even a few drink coupons) to other places. Tippi also exuded personality (including one of the best laughs I've ever heard), and was an absolute hoot to talk to. I really could've talked with her all day.

Rooms are clean, price is right, and staff is fantastic. What more can you ask?

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeff R
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Thank you Tippi for your kindiness! I had earlier booked the McCullers room (one bed) for myself for two nights; then as my sister was arriving two days later I had reserved the Kirkwood room (two beds) for another four nights. Upon arriving Dec. 8 Tippi gave us the Tennesse Williams' cottage for our entire stay at no extra charge! The cottage featured a separate bedroom with vintage Williams-framed theatre programs and a library of Williams' numerous books throughout. The living room featured a comfortable futon sofabed. For the two nights on my own I slept on the futon reading several of Williams' short stories. When my sister arrived she had her own bedroom. With our own kitchen facilities to prepare meals and our porch, we enjoyed sitting outside eating and drinking our glasses of wine.
Authors is located the perfect distance from Duvall Street - we loved walking along the quaint streets and admiring the residential architecture. This is how we found Mangia Mangia, an excellent pasta cafe at a very reasonable price. At the end our holiday my sister and I did not want to leave Authors. Thank you again Tippi for providing the Tennesse Williams cottage and making our time at Authors so special.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

And I will definitely return again. Cozy clean room, excellent bed. Because of how I made my reservations, I had to change rooms after my first night there. The first room I stayed in I loved! The Artist - cute as can be. Slept like a dream. I never heard any noises the whole time I was there - four nights. For the rest of my stay I was moved to the Wilder room, a more expensive room but they did not charge me for anymore than what my reservation was. A HUGE classy room. In this room I had both a refrigerator and a small microwave. The drinking water and ice were delicious. When I first arrived I was given a Key West map with favorite restaurants and places to go marked on it, so it was easy to find the places. I walked everywhere; decided a bike would just get in the way. I LOVED my stay in Key West and at Authors Guesthouse - a dream come true. Mushy but true.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pa145k
Haugesund, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We arrived in Key West around noon, after a night flight from Seattle and the drive from Miami. We were tired, hot and sweaty. A bit early for check-in, but we decided to check if we could get our room a bit early. I guess it was easy to see how tired and hot we were. We couldn't get the room yet, since it wasn't cleaned, but they took us to a place where we at least could change our clothes. The glass of cold water also helped a lot! A small glass of water, and new clothes was just enough - they saved our day!

We took a walk around in the area, and when we were back, the room was ready. The room was clean and big enough, but most important, the air condition kept it cool!

Compared to a big hotel, this is a very relaxing place. The breakfast was simple, but good enough. The cold water machine helped us staying hydrated.

It's a bit of a walk to get to other parts of Key West, but if you rent a bike, getting around is easy. We got help with bike rental, and the bikes were delivered right outside the front desk.

We will definitely stay here again if we're going back to Key West!

I don't remember the name of the lady at the front desk, but if you read this: Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Authors of Key West. This guesthouse is charming, every cottage has its own name and personality. We stayed in Hemingway cottage, one bedroom cottage on the ground floor just beside breakfast area. All rooms are designed in style: pictures, photos, books of Ernest Hemingway, even collection of horns in a living room. Lovely!
Breakfast is simple but good: high quality coffee, yogurts, fruits, juice, bagels, cream cheese, butter, jams. Swimming pool with jetts is available till 10pm. Fresh swimming towels are right at the pool. Free parking is on the street. The location is nice and queit, not too close to tha central street, but you can rent a bike as many people do.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple