“Family friendly, everyone friendly, helps you spend days in Key West well/”
Review of The Duval Inn

The Duval Inn
Ranked #51 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
NYC area
“Family friendly, everyone friendly, helps you spend days in Key West well/”
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Relaxed atmosphere; great location; nice rooms; super-helpful hosts Jeremy and Michael, whose generous recommendations were invariably on target; good breakfast; happy happy hour; small but relaxing pool.

Charm in the form of Jack the Rooster and his family (he gets up early but isn't too insistent that you do the same), the pool Buddha, the elephant table, the plantings, etc. We saw before we chose Duval that one or two people objected to Jack's celebration of the morning, but we and everyone we talked with during our nine days loved Jack and valued him as part of the historic charm of Key West. All the inn needs is a friendly six-toed cat of its own.

Will and Morgan

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
Miami
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Found this Inn on the InnKeeper website. Both my fiancee and I were so pleasantly surprised to experience such a great time in Key West. Michael was terrific in helping me set up the reservation - he was able to fit me into my last minute dates and arriving practically at midnight. We started in the Dolphin the first night which was an adorable room (just like the pic) with shared bathroom, then they went ahead and moved all our stuff to the AMANDA (I LUVED IT). Jeremy was such a great host answered all of our questions and made such great suggestions! You're right the bikes were the way to go! The guests were friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed the happy hour by the poolside. I was again surprised thinking it was going to be a rinky dink cheap wine - but NOPE great liquor and treats accompanied by poolside conversation! Again, we were so happy that we got to relax and enjoy the laid backness of the Duval Inn and experience the NON Touristy Key West! We will definitely be back! Oh, I can't forget to thank Svetlana for her impecable room maintenance! :)

Alba

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I truly had an amazing vacation at the Duval Inn.

This was my first time to Key West so I had no idea where to stay. As always, I checked trip advisor to start my search as I knew I wanted to stay at a B&B. Duval Inn was of the ones that seem to have only positive reviews and was very pretty. As I checked further, I notice one negative review but was surprised that Michael responded to it. That was very impressive to me as I have never seen an owner/innkeeper respond to a post. The next morning I called and made my reservation and actually spoke to Michael.

This inn is unlike any other I have stayed at. Michael and Jeremy do everything to make sure the guests have a great experience. They are so warm and friendly and make you feel like you are the only guest there. They know the island well and made several great suggestions for where to have dinner, what to see, etc.

The complimentary breakfast was amazing… bagels, 3 types of cream cheese, juice, coffee, eggs, oatmeal, tea, Danish. I was so filled up on breakfast that I never needed to eat lunch!

Happy hour was just as great…several bottles of wine, spirits, beer, juice, nachos. It was like being at a friend’s house. Had a chance to mingle with several of the guests and made some great friendships.

I was so in love with my room (Lauren) that it was hard for me to leave it every morning. It looks just like the website picture

I will definitely be back to the Duval before the end of the year!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Kingston, WA
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We spontaneously decided to go to Key West affter a week on Anna Maria Island. We phoned several places from mile 21 and on the 8th or 9th call, got Michael at the Duval Inn. His demeanor on the phone and the greeting we received a half hour later made us feel more than welcome. We booked for one night: We stayed for a week! Immaculately clean & charming rooms, the cleanest pool on the Key, great breakfasts and happy hours, Jack the rooster, convenient parking, stellar staff, concierge service: We found the staff to be knowledgeable about the dining, snorkel trip bookings and all questions were cheerfully answered and with great results. Of all the places in Florida we have stayed , this will be the one we remember the most. We made some wonderful friends and have already made plans to return. The owners of this beautiful Inn should congratulate themselves on hiring such a remarkable staff: Michael, Jeremy and Svetlana are truly the reason we would return!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 1, 2009

The Duval Inn is the perfect spot to go if you want a place very close to the action on Duval St. We stayed in the bungalow in the back of the property.

The Pros: The rooms were clean. The pool was clean and always had plenty of towels with comfy lounge chairs. The free happy hour was fully stocked and fun. The breakfast worked. The location was def outstanding.

The Cons: We had a major ant problem in one of the rooms. The Inn staff came to take care of them, but they came back. I think some fresh caulking around the window would solve the problem. Also, the shared bathroom could use some updating. Some missing tiles, loose drain cover, etc. If you like to enjoy the nightlife to the wee hours, you will want to strangle the resident rooster in the morning. It starts cockadoodledoing at sunrise, and doesn't stop till 8. Cool to look at, but a def interruption to a good nights sleep.

Overall, would def come back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Duval Inn. We arrived in Key West rather late (around 11PM) so the keys to our room and a very nice note were left for us. We stayed in the Hibiscus room which was very nice. We loved the bed and really appreciated the powerful AC and very breezy ceiling fan. In the morning, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast, compliments of the inn. There was plenty of fresh fruit, bagels, juice, and coffee to make us happy. We ate by the pool with the company of a very friendly rooster named Jack. Everyone we met at the Duval Inn was nice, accomidating, and pleasant. The pool was really lovely, as were the grounds. An added bonus was the free parking in the adjacent lot. It was so convenient! We only stayed for one night- it was our first time in Key West and we wanted to to a lot of hopping around- but next time we come to the Keys we will definitely be staying again and longer.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Key West, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Michael and Jeremy run a top notch place! Within 20 minutes of arriving we had very cold beers in our hands the music was playing in the court yard and pool areas. Happy hour begins when every you want it to. Usually when Jack, the rooster, makes his presence known in the morning.

The Duval Inn was steps from Duval St. and even had bikes for us to rent ($10/day but if your cool Jeremy may hook you up;) The pool was awesome and had a huge Buddha at one end. The bungalow style property felt like we were the only ones on the island because it was quiet even though people were salsa-ing up a storm 50 yards away.

If you get a chance you can use the massive grill for an extended happy hour and cook out your favorite island food. We had blackened mahi mahi w/ mango salsa, grilled sea bass, corn on the cob, grilled potatoes with key lime butter, and plenty of island drinks.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends