“Amazing Place”

Ranked #51 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
New York City Area
“Amazing Place”
Reviewed March 8, 2008

Once we arrived, we did not want to leave. Warm and charming is the description of the Inn and the staff that worked there. I was so impressed by the housekeeping staff, the front desk, and the manager. I will definately be back. We were treated like family...

• Liked — the management and staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
Jacksonville Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2008

Myself and my husband had the pleasure of staying at the Duval Inn in Key West and were very pleased with what they had to offer.
We stayed in the "Seahorse' room which I have to say was a little small, but it made for a very cozy stay.
There was also the issue of having to share the restroom with three other rooms, but it was very well kept by the always busy housekeeper and to my surprise there was no real wait time in getting in.
I have to say that I would recommend a stay here for anyone that wants to be close to "All" the action in Key West because it is literally steps away from the main street of Duval. Thanks guys for making my stay in Key West a pleasure

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, California
Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at the Duval Inn on Feb 21st. I had not read any reviews of the basic rooms without bathroom which my group stayed in, and I was a little dubious. I need not have worried however. The rooms were spotlessly clean, and the bathroom was large and also immaculately clean. We were the first ones in to use it in the morning as the other guests seemed to have really tied one on the night before, so we had no problems with waiting to get in. I was also concerned that it could be noisy as it was close to Duval street. There was no traffic noise from our room at all though. We did hear the cocks crowing, but we would much rather have that than the noise of traffic or drunks in the street. The location was close to everything we wanted to see in Key West, and we were able to walk to everthing. The best thing about the Duval Inn was our host. He is new, and I don't know whether he is a manager or owner, but he was so friendly and welcoming. They had free drinks at 5 pm by the pool, and he told us the day we were leaving that they would be having food- coconut shrimp, and music that night. Overall it was a very positive experience, and I would definitely recommend the Duval Inn.

• Liked — Nice host
  • Disliked — No negatives
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed February 21, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Duval Inn for only 1 night on February 13th. Let me give an intro to the eventful couple of days that we had. We were supposed to take a ferry from Fort Myers to Key West on the 13th and return on the returning ferry on the 14th. The ferry was canceled due to bad weather, the hotel had warned us of this possibility. So we decided to drive down, 5 hours. The drive was awful; it rained so hard that we almost turned around. When we reached the keys the rain had stopped, and I called the hotel, to let them know that we would be there in 1 or 2 hours. The manager, J. P., informed us that when we arrive that he would have a cocktail for us. After this drive I was going to need a drink.

The hotel is very easy to find and they have their own parking lot right next to one of the buildings. We checked in at 4:45, and J. P. told us that happy hour is at the pool at 5:00, what timing.

The room though small was clean and in a nice private location, we had the Leaf Room. The one thing that we did not like about the room was that there was an intense pinesol cleaner smell that did not go away. The A/C worked great and the street noise was not even a factor; the hotel is 45 steps from Duval St. The only noise that we got was from the DAMN CHICKENS. These chickens are all over Key West and they crowed at all hours of the night. The manager was new and when we asked for more pillows he was unable to find them. He was very apologetic and brought us some blankets to use. Later that night he brought me a very nice cigar from his humidor, after a night on Duval it was nice to have a nice smoke on the deck outside of our room.

The hotel has decks, courtyard, and pool with a nice stone deck. The location couldn’t be better. It is at the 700 block of Duval and Angela. There are plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood and close to all the action.

The breakfast in the morning was adequate with pastries, juice and coffee.

We will defiantly stay here again. The price, the room and the location are hard to beat.

We ate at some great resturants : Mangoes ( you can see them from the hotel, great menu)

Blue Heaven ( funky place, great food, the BEST KEY LIME PIE, chickens all over, beware this is in a rough part of town)

Banana Cafe ( great crepes for breakfast or lunch )

Stayed February 2008
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 18, 2007

The Duval Inn is ideally located about 50 steps off of the intersection of Angela and Duval. Its location can not be beat. I made a last minute reservation here for early April (less than a week notice) and was able to get the Andora room which is located in a small cottage by the pool. The room was quite small but very nice with hardwood floors, a GREAT A/C and quite large bathroom. The location and the price alone make this a great place to stay. I will def. stay here again as it was better than I could have hoped for!

• Liked — Location and Price.
  • Disliked — the day we had to leave.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Mytravelexperience
Reviewed August 9, 2006

When I went looking for reviews for this Inn on the internet, I could only find a couple of positive reviews so I thought it would be ok. This Inn was offering $99.00 a night during the low season to fill up their rooms. They also charged $10.00 a night for parking if you have a car, and with all the taxes it came to approximately $123.00 a night. This is great considering in the high season they charge up to $420.00 a night for the room we stayed in. The Key West room is on the second floor with two entries. The room was very nice and the air conditioner worked great. The bathroom left little to be desired. It was small with no shelving to store your necessary grooming products. The bathtub was a complete turn off. Where the tub and the tile met, there was black mold all the way around the tub. Gross!!! The back steps coming from the room were painted with no stepping pads. When it rained, which it often does, you could slip on the steps and break your neck. The pool was over rated and needed some attention. The best part was the buffet breakfast they put out in the office just over the cat litter. I think this place could be really nice if the owner(s) put some time and attention into it. It felt like the person who tended the office just barely cared.

• Liked — Location to Duval Street and Parking
  • Disliked — Host was not very welcoming.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Mallory Square the Hotels are much nicer.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Mytravelexperience
JPQuidore, New General Manager at The Duval Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2008
I understand and respectfully agree that many guests may have the memory of the former Management Team ~ fresh in their minds. For the poor customer service, and the lack of care shown to you ~ I can only say ~ we heard your review and we reacted. I am proud to say that the Feb 27, 2008 Review titled "very friendly host", shows we have responded with complete changes. I am the Manager mentioned in the last two Trip Advisor Reviews. I have worked in the Hotel Management field for over 20 years for the Ritz-Carlton and other high end customer service driven companys. I was brought in to ensure that this charming and cozy property 40 steps to Duval Street has as it's number one priority "courtesy, cleanliness and a deep respect for our guests needs".

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies. I cannot change the past but by understanding the past through your comments and views, I can certainly change the future.

Your's in Hospitality,
JP Quidore
The Duval Inn
511 Angela Street
DuvalInn.com
London
Reviewed March 5, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Duval Inn in Feb 2006 and absolutely loved it. We stayed for five days, and would definately go back again. We stayed in the Hibiscus room, and adored the decor, and were really happy with cleanliness and the general standard of the whole guest house.

The owner, Cathy, was really friendly and absolutely brilliant in helping us to book day trips and scooter hire, and also with advise at to where to eat/drink in Key West.

The pool, although quite small, is set into a wonderfully landscaped courtyard area, which was perfect for a relaxing day after a busy night of enjoying everything that Key West has to offer.

The Duval Inn is in a brillant location, only half a block from Duval Street, and within easy walking distance of everything in the Old Town.

This was our second visit to Key West, and I would thoroughly recommend The Duval Inn, as we plan to stay there again when we visit next year.

3 Thank justpastone