“Incredible Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Sole

Cafe Sole
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Sole is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 443 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Seafood, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Frances St.
Description: Cafe Sole has captured the hearts and palates of locals and visitors lucky enough to discover this culinary gem off the beaten path. By combining his French mastery of sauces with fresh locally caught seafood, John has created a menu unlike any on the island, where every dish is bursting with indescribable flavors. Mutton snapper in pesto and champagne, yellowtail in a beurre blanc of lobster or a rare hog snapper with red pepper zabaglione top a list of nightly specials. As for the classics, the Duck a L'Orange, Rack of Lamb with herb de Province and Lobster Bouillaise are as authentic as you will find this side of Paris. Chef Correa combines the best of both of his worlds, European and Caribbean to win the People's Choice and Best Entree awards at a recent Master Chefs Classic
Columbia, MD
“Incredible Seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I went here for a dinner date. The atmosphere is incredibly pleasant, the service is amazing, and the food is out of this world. We ate conch ceviche as an appetizer, followed by the snapper and hogfish as entrees and a chocolate cake and creme brulee. This was some of the most spectacular food I've had- the hogfish in hollandaise sauce literally melted in your mouth, the seafood was fresh, the sauces and sides served with the entrees were amazing, and the desserts were perfect. I wish a restaurant like this was in my neighborhood- I would go to it all of the time.

I recommend this to everyone. If you go to the keys and have the means for a fancy dinner, you must stop by here for dinner!

St. Loius, MO
“Not impressed!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

While on a first visit to Key West in late January 2013, one of the workers at the B&B recommended Cafe Sole as a local, casual place with good food, and gave us a coupon for a free bottle of wine with the purchase of 2 entrees. We went there without reservations, but were seated right away (it was early) in a small room where tables were close together. Although we did end up having a nice discussion with the couple sitting next to us (because it was almost as if they were at our table because of close proximity), a little more privacy would have been nice. The food was ok, but nothing special. Mu husband had bouillabaisse, which although decent, was different than any other time he had it. The broth was more of a clear broth that the red he usually expects. I had a $12 or $14 'salad' that had probably $1-2 worth of lettuce, pears & pecans in it. I will admit it was pretty to look at but majorly overpriced. My entree was the special for the night, wahoo fish two ways, grilled and pan sauteed with crab stuffing on top. Both were nice, thick pieces of fish, but were overcooked and dry. The sides made such an impression on me I can't remember what they were! As for the "free" wine, there were only 2 to choose from, but not what we preferred, so were told they would take $10 off any other bottle. I ordered a glass of wine, but felt somewhat pressured to buy a bottle to use the coupon, so ended up paying an extra $22 that I hadn't intended in the first place. One of my biggest compaints, thhough, was to find out that the couple sitting the next table over were paying a "locals' price--50% off during certain hours. It absolutely made me feel that my expensive meal was helping to pay for their half price meal!! I even know a couple locals who will not eat there because of this. I will not be eating here on return visits to Key West--luckily there are many more restaurants to choose from that are more reasonably priced. I really don't mind paying $150 for a meal for two for special occasions, but I expect it to be top-notch and special, not just average.

• Visited January 2013
“A hidden gem, specialising in superb fish dishes. We always eat here each vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Book early to avoid disappointment, this restaurant is popular with tourists and locals alike. Choose from an extensive and varied menu, plus some beautifully prepared daily fish specials. Don't pass up an opportunity to try the local Yellow Snapper! The service is attentive, but not intrusive.

“Awesome as ever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm back on the island, back at cafe sole and back to write a review. However before I do I'd like to address a previous comment on here ref the food poisoning. Note to add, food poisoning takes 24 hours to show side effects so to show signs of suspected food poisoning 2 hours after eating a meal would be unfair to point the finger at the last meal eaten. Ok on with the review. I had my staple diet of jerry salad, hog fish and zabaglione. Awesome as ever and then joined by the effervescent owner/ chef/ comedian and all round entertainer Mr Correa.
This is one of the last bastions of key west along with Camilles. Long may they rein.
Thanks for the past 15 years if great food, great service and great atmosphere. But please change the jokes.

Michigan
“Amazing dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I were in Key West just for 5 days and ate twice at Cafe Sole. The first time was without a reservation but they accommodated us, the second we made a reservation. Michael, our waiter was amazing and made great suggestions for both wine and food. The food was exquisite and very flavorful. The portion sizes were good, and the accompaniments were to die for, a symphony of tastes. We loved everything and didn't feel overstuffed. This place is a gem.

1 Thank AnotherSunVillager