“GREAT Pizza”

Ranked #181 of 447 Restaurants in Key West
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have loved their pizza for years and last night's choices more than lived up to my memory of their delicious, thin-crusted, pizza. We had the Doug and Deb's favorite pies. One was red, shrimp, and bacon and the other was white, broccoli & sausage. Both were excellent. We started with the Conch Fritters which were probably the best I have had in the Conch Republic and the Buffalo Shrimp which were lightly breaded with just the right amount of sauce and kick. The server, Wendy, was more than accommodating, friendly, and expedient. They also were very dog friendly while we dined al fesco in their very nice courtyard out back.

There are newer reviews for Bobalu's Southern Cafe

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

One thing I know growing up in Florida is good southern food and Bobalus is just.... Eh. I had country fried steak that had little flavor and brown gravy, again with little flavor. (Brown gravy?) collard were fair but not good, and the cornbread just plain sucked. My server Marissa was delightful and the staff were friendly and accommodating. Will try again my next trip down.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Love the home-cooked food and all the vegetable options! Chicken parmesan sandwich and fried okra are to die for! Pizza is very good too. Very casual atmosphere. Only has wall unit air conditions so sometimes it's a bit hot. Fun place to visit!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We're locals and we absolutely love this place. The wait staff is friendly and fun and remembers your name and face when you come in. The menu is almost overwhelming in that you just don't know what to get and you want to try a little of everything. As a southern girl who appreciates comfort food, this place has it in abundance. Who knew a couple from Connecticut had it in them to dig down deep and produce such southern delicacies as fried green tomatoes, fried chicken, mac 'n cheese, and okra.

I have yet to have something on the menu that I don't like. We have been living in The Keys for a year and are doing our best to work through the menu. I especially loved the turkey and dressing. It was a huge helping, delicious, freshly roasted, and not that "pressed-formed-chopped" turkey you get other places. This was the real deal. The chicken fried steak was delicious, crispy and didn't have any gristle in it. It looked huge when it came out, but my appetite took care of all of it. I did order the gravy on the side as not to drown out the flavors too much. The fish basket is delicious with fresh catches and that will make your mouth water. My hubby tried the pull pork and he said it was some of the best barbecue he's ever had. He's also had the burger and a few more items, but seriously...we haven't had anything we don't like.

The sides are amazing, too. Coleslaw isn't too runny or too overly mayo'd up. The fried okra was fireball hot, but yummy once it cooled enough to eat. The fried green tomatoes were cut a smidgen too thick for this southern girl, but the coating was fabulous, as was the accompanying sauce that we ate every drop of. The pot of green beans could stand a little more pork (ham/bacon) flavoring and a dash of salt, but they're a great side, as is the mac 'n cheese, the french fries, and everything else.

We're told that the pizza here is to-die for. We can't wait to try that...and the burgers. There just aren't enough days of the week...or money in the wallet. But Bobalu's is reasonable for your pocket book and the value you get equals what you spend.

A nice kitchy beachy atmosphere with a lot of smiling faces. Drink prices are reasonable, as well. It think the only disappoint things are -- they've been closed for the month of July, which, as a local sucks. And...they have this amazing property out back and outside with only a few tables. There's a huge backyard area that is over-grown with weeds and trash and used tables. This area is a GOLD MINE! I don't see why they don't get a landscaper in, fix it up, have outside specials, and offer it up as a location for parties and outdoor weddings. It could be completely charming.

Overall...for locals, this needs to be your hangout and for tourists headed to Key West, don't wait to get to The Rock to get a good meal. This place is excellent and I bet you'll hit it again on your way back north.

Thanks to the owners and staff for an awesome restaurant. See you when you open back up.

3  Thank marley_h_gibson
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were kinda disappointed they were closed for vaca for a 3 week spell but we will be back. We like to sit in the back as inside is kinda warm and dark.