“Tasty food but service sloppy”

The Cafe, A Mostly Vegetarian Place
Ranked #15 of 451 Restaurants in Key West
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Lovely tasty food, great vegetarian choice but service was inattentive and sloppy. Would recommend the stuffed squash.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We returned to this spot several times during our stay in Key West. The food is always creative and on-point. The polenta cakes were crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and smothered in a fresh, not canned tomato sauce with herbs. Veggie burger bites came from an inspired atypical mix of grains and beans and two delicious sauces (curry-lime and chutney?) Other particularly great items included the eggplant-mozzarella sandwich and the salads- even their house salad managed to be interesting! The non-veg items were similarly well made, and it's nice that they manage to serve healthy veg food without ignoring those who like animal protein.
A sidenote- the service can run awfully slow when it's busy, so allow some time for main items to come out- it's worth the wait though.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Whenever I travel it is usually to an oceanside locale and I always have trouble finding vegetarian food to eat (since I don't eat seafood). The Cafe is AMAZING. We went two days in a row because we wanted to try more options on the menu. They have a large menu - and I think even non-vegetarians would enjoy their food. They have good drink selections too (but I would not recommend the white sangria with apple and mint). I really really wanted to try some of their desserts but both times we went I was too full. I guess we'll have to go back! It's a little pricier than I would have liked but I guess that's everything in Key West.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Being a vegetarian, loved this place. Has so many great options to choose from. Tender coconut juice was authentic. A little pricy , but Great quality.

Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I had the warm beet salad with arugula & goat cheese. I wish it wasn't such a long drive from South Carolina to this restaurant because I've been craving that salad again! Price was typical for Key West, but not outrageous. Service was good. No complaints from this satiated patron!