“Almost perfect”

Reserve with OpenTable
Michaels Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 448 Restaurants in Key West
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Southard Street
Description: One of the finest Key West restaurants is nestled among the charming tropical back streets of Key West's Old Town District. Come discover a garden oasis where Chef Michael Wilson and his wife Melanie offer a classic menu with an island twist. Their emphasis on quality and service, coupled with casual island elegance, has established Michaels Restaurant as a favorite of Key West locals and visitors with discriminating dining palates. If you're searching for Key West restaurants, search no further. Treat yourself to a delicious dining experience outdoors in a relaxing Key West garden atmosphere or indoors in one of our two dining rooms. Michaels Restaurant is in Old Town Key West, near the corner of Southard Street- on Margaret Street. "From the first chilled martini to the last sumptuous bite of the warm chocolate volcano, Michaels will delight and satisfy. "
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We love this restaurant - always had superb service and outstanding food. Last night we enjoyed a gift certificate from our kids at Michaels, Key West. My beet salad was out of this world, a must have. My husband's onion soup was delicious, topped with Gouda cheese. His duck was tasty but my meal was just a bit disappointing (which I hope was just a one time occurence). My steak was medium cooked (instead of medium rare), the mashed potatoes were mediocre, and the vegetables were luke warm. This had never happened to us at this restaurant, and we hope that maybe they had a substitute chef for the evening. This is still a good restaurant with quality service and attention. We'll definitely give them another chance.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were very disappointed with this restaurant which had been recommended by someone living locally. We arrived 15 minutes before our 9pm booking but were not shown to the (second) table until 9.20pm. The first table was shoved out in the garden in its own right out of the way and it was a very cold night and there were no heaters.

The food was very poor indeed. My onion soup was lukewarm after having asked for it to be boiling hot and it has clearly been minors aged as the soup bowl came red hot but the liquid inside was virtually cold. This was a shame because the soup itself was very tasty.

I shared my husband's main course of chicken in Marsala wine which was tough, tasteless and again clearly warmed up in a microwave. Very very disappointing food.

But as with everything in Key West, the service was fantastic with lovely lovely people serving.

1  Thank GillyflowerofLondon
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Being our first dinner of the new year we saved a Xmas gift card. Having heard great reviews we were very excited. We both ordered the wedge salads and they were very good. I ordered the filet which is their specialty and my partner the cowboy steak. My steak cane it was dry and burnt. Very disappointed for 45.00 steak to be cooked so horrible. My partners steak wasn't as bad but very overdone as well. We didn't even bother with dessert. We live a few blocks walking distance and both of us very sick after eating there. Ambience was nice but not worth a repeat visit.

3  Thank GayExplorers1
MelanieW224, Owner at Michaels Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear JT,
I am so sorry for your less that stellar experience at Michaels. We strive to always give our guests the best service and highest quality meals. Sadly, sometimes we fall short. We would love to have you come back to Michaels and experience it as it should be. Please contact me at michaels@michaelskeywest.com so that we can remedy the situation. We want everyone to leave Michaels happy!
Happy New Year!
Melanie Wilson

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have been in key west for a few days now, and have eaten at various restaurants. We must say most have been very good. We went to Michaels on a recommendation, upon arriving we were greeted by the hostess and we're promptly seated. The room outside has a cool vibe low lights, fountain. Unfortunately we were seated in the pocono dining room which has as much ambiance as your average diner. We started with salad and appetizers which were good. The service was great as well. We ordered hog fish entree which was no more then fried fish and ranch dressing on top. My daughter ordered snapper, which again was very bland and tasteless. Unfortunately on our last day in key west this was by far the worst meal we've had. Very disappointing.
P.s wine was good and dessert was good, not all was bad, just an average meal in general. Definitely isn't all the hype.

1  Thank Cecilia A

Dear Cecilia,
I am so sorry for your less that stellar experience at Michaels. We strive to always give our guests the best service and highest quality meals. Sadly, sometimes we fall short. We would love to have you come back to Michaels and experience it as it should be. Please contact me at michaels@michaelskeywest.com so that we can remedy the situation. If you plan on a return visit to Key West please let us know. We want everyone to leave Michaels happy!
Happy New Year!
Melanie Wilson

Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We had a family dinner there with small kids and grandparents. Everybody's dishes were very good and the staff was super fast and helpful with their recommendations. There is a need to make a reservations! For some reason they don't like walk-ins!