“Everything you want when dining in Key West!”
Review of Louie's Backyard

Louie's Backyard
Ranked #59 of 447 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, International, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Everything you want when dining in Key West!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I went here for dinner on a Saturday night. We had a reservation and they sat us right away. What a lovely place! Just beautiful. It has a HUGE back deck for outdoor seating, right on the water. We were sat at the doorway of the building and the deck, it was perfect!

I always wonder how to dress for places, so this is my two cents...
We were dressed for a casual but nice night out (i.e. I was wearing a dress and my husband was wearing khakis and a golf shirt) but there was a wide range of attire. The table next to us had people in jean shorts and tank tops, looked like they just rolled off the beach, and table in my eye-line people were in fancier dresses and suits. So as far as attire...anything goes, I guess.

The service, fantastic! We were greeted by our waiter seconds after we sat. The service is definitely five star. I even commented to my husband that the waiters all wear Hawaiian shirts but maintain such a high level of service--perfect mix of Key West casual/relaxing and a 5 star restaurant in NYC!

Food: Delicious! We started with a lobster cake. it was on their special menu- we shared it, one each. YUM!!!! The, we each had a salad ( beet salad for me and the blue cheese/walnut salad for him) and main course (yes, we were STUFFED by the end :-)...) The food was phenomenal. I had the fish and my husband and steak, a filet I think? Both out of this world!

Price: With everything we ate and a bottle of wine our bill came to around $200. Nothing we didn't expect, I think it is right in line with any nice restaurant we have eaten in. The wine was around $60 so without that (for you non-drinkers) the bill would be somewhat less.

We would go back here in a heartbeat!

• Visited December 2013

Haddon Heights, New Jersey
“Excellent!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My hairdresser reccommended this place.. he told us it was expensive, however the food was great. Boy he was right! Very pricey, but worth every penny. The lobster was out of this world,... Our dinner was fabulous.. the waiter was so cute and nice! he explained everything to us... Even our cocktails tasted like desserts! Excellent views on the deck... nice ocean breeze.. cant wait to go back!

• Visited December 2013
Grantham, NH
“An absolutely perfect place for that truly special meal.”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My husband, son and I ate at Louie's Backyard on Nov. 26, 2013, my 60th birthday. We sat outside on a gorgeous evening. Our waiter was fantastic,, obviously a career server, and he said he had been in the business 37 years. It was obvious. You don't really know stellar service until you've experienced it. Atttentive, but subtle. Our waiter was the best we've ever had. The food was tremendously good. My son had the lamb, I had the shrimp, and my husband had snapper. All means were delicious. For dessert we all ahd Key Lime pie, which was sublime. The bill, including wine and drinks for the tree of us, including tax and tip was a little over $300. For us, this was a special occasion dinner and SO SO worth it. We couldn't afford this on a regular basis, but for that perfect dinner, this place is where you want to dine.

• Visited November 2013
silver lake
“Great location, not so great food”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We came upon place by accident. Its beautiful spot, right on the water, lots of outdoor seating. The waitress was a bit crass, as other reviewers mentioned.
I ordered grilled chicken sandwich, csme w/ bacon, cheese and grilled jalepeno. It was not good. Very greasy for "grilled" chicken (the bacon was on top of chesse, not chicken) and it really had no flavor. Very bland taste, my husband tried it and agreed. He had plantain nachis he was happy with. Creative menu but........

Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food, great location, staff a little aloof.”
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We booked our table via our hotel recommendation.
On arrival - 15 minutes early we were asked to wait in the bar, which is at the far end of the 'backyard' had a G&T each and after about 25 minutes we were shown to our table, after struggling to break up the bar tenders conversation with his colleague so we could settle up re the drinks.
The table was in a nice spot just outside the house.
Our waiter attended and offered us his knowledge re the 'specials' for the evening, for the first few exchanges in conversation with him during our ordering processes re wine and food, he did come across as a little condescending to us.
Can't say that goes down too well with me, but I did let it ride and he did get better....
The food and actual service provided was excellent. I can say I have never had a better 'starter' than the Florida lobster dish, which I was informed is a signature dish, but doesn't appear on the website dinner menu.
Even though we had booked for 6.30 it was busy, could that be why the attitudes were a little out? If so, they could be less busy in future because of that approach....
Having said that, we would return again, if only for the food...

Visited December 2013