“Terribly disappointing”

Cuisines: Cuban
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I was so looking forward to an authentic Cuban breakfast here. The place is cute as can be: colorful and inviting, plants everywhere, charming. I'm here right now. The service is painfully slow. People are coming in and leaving because nobody is tending to them. A party of three is using it as an Internet cafe and have not stopped smoking or talking into their laptops the entire time we've been here, and they were already here when we arrived. They are killing what business this place might have. A place with tons of potential but badly in need of some management skills.

• Visited April 2013

“Charming Place, Great Food, Nice Folks”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Scrumptous! Generous portions, mouth-watering good food. This is a lovely, little tucked away Cuban restaurant. It's on Duvall, but set back from the street & that's nice because you can get out of the zaniness for a moment of dining delight.

I had the grouper, fried to perfection with light, well-seasoned breading. It was served with flavorful black beans, rice & plantains. Heavenly. My friend ordered the shredded beef, served with the same sides. Both entrees were tasty & filling. But in for a penny, in for a pound. We went for it & had dessert. My friend said the key lime pie was the best she'd ever eaten. At the suggestion of our server, I had homemade egg nog with rum (lots I think). It was so rich & good I had an out of body experience, floating on waves of rich, creamy goodness. Oh my! Just in case you can't tell, I highly recommend Juan Loves Lucy.

Lake George, New York
“I love Juan loves Lucy”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hard to find, even harder to pass up. While i do not have any experience with Cuban food Ito compare to I thoroughly enjoyed my meal of roast pork. My wife had the grouper fillet.
they are located down a short hall/alleyway just a few doors away from the smallest bar in Key West. Very nice decor. Friendly service. Excellent food.

• Visited January 2013
Lusby, Maryland
“Just go”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My only problem with Juan Love Lucy is I found it on my last day in Key West. My bad! There was no need for a knife (or teeth) as the pork was so tender my fork may have been overkill. The black beans and yellow rice were great and my plantains were perfect. I topped this off with coconut flan and espresso that was delicious. The coffee was perfecto! Couple this with the friendly staff and you have a winner. A true Cuban delight!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Dave L
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eat the best Cuban food in Key West at little-known Juan Love Lucy!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

While looking for a place to eat lunch we stumbled upon this little gem tucked in Duval Street just two doors up from the Smallest Bar. Having been raised in the Caribbean I am familiar with and greatly enjoy Cuban food but have more often than not been disappointed by what was served in restaurants. Then we found Juan Love Lucy - the moist grilled chicken breast covered with scrumptious mojo, the picadillo which rivaled my mom's, the rice and black beans with a good balance of flavors and texture, the crunchy tostones and the maduros that were like candy, perfectly prepared with just the right crispness on the edges left us dreaming of returning as soon as we could. The portions were generous, the prices were moderate and the service was excellent. To the owners of Juan Love Lucy (who own Havana 1 also in Key West) - congratulations on opening this little gem that we can't say enough good things about!

• Visited February 2013