“Ok cuban food crazy prices”
Review of El Meson de Pepe

El Meson de Pepe
Ranked #123 of 451 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'm not going to say I'm cuban and I know buuuuut I am. Really the food is average but the price is down right crazy for arroz y frijoles. But realistically you are paying for the location. I say go to the bar have a drink and dance but save your wallet and eat somewhere else. I will say they have a great gift and cigar shop that should not be missed.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I am Floridian but I live overseas and was craving Cuban food. We were greeted and seated no problems. Our server was mingling with the bigger table next to us working his tip. He was less tham interested in us minions. We ordered and our food came out in less than 5 min so we knew it wasn't fresh. It was greasy and heavy and not the Cuban flare I'm used to. As soon as we put our utensils down they were clearing our plates. It was over priced and we were rushed out. Ps they sneak in an 18% tip like Miami whether you want to pay it or not.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

A group of us went for lunch and it was great! I had the Pan Con Lecon sandwich and it was fantastic! We ate outside and the service was very good.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

After reading all the great reviews we decided to try El Maison de Pepe ~ It sounded so interesting ~ We were there on a Sunday afternoon and they were not very busy and we were seated promptly. We waited about five minutes before our wait person showed up to take our beverage orders. We waited about five more minutes when our wait person delivered one beverage and informed us the bar was backed up and it would be longer before the other beverages would be ready ~ it went downhill from there. Slow service ~ cold bland food was delivered to two of us. The others food was just o.k. Not at all like the raves we had read about. Our wait person was wearing an invisibility cloak ~ we couldn't see him nor did he return to check on us. We had to ask for the check and when we received it he didn't return to pick it up. After sitting there for 10 mins. waiting to pay our bill I picked up the check and took it to the hostess and asked if the transaction could be completed. She apologized and brought the bill back to the table apologizing again. We had talked about the amount of the tip ~ we always start out at 20% and move up or down from that. We were thinking 12% might be appropriate at this time but when the bill came there was already 18% tacked on to the check ~ We paid it but my husband explained to the hostess we didn't feel that the wait person was worth that amount. We won't go back.

1  Thank Jodi H
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Right on Mallory Square, been there for years, huge menu, knick knacks everywhere . . . I’m thinking tourist trap. My wife and I are foodies but just wanted to sit down, have a drink and a little passable food and go to our hotel. What a nice surprise! The service was excellent, it was not overpriced and the food was very good and very fresh. They clearly aren’t just trying to get by on location and name.

Had the Mollete a la Pancho (stuffed fried Cuban bread) and coconut shrimp (figuring they could’t mess it up) as appetizers. The Mollete was perfectly cooked, not overdone or greasy. The shrimp was also perfectly cooked and the sauce was pineapple not orange and a great different taste.

For dinner we split the combo of grilled chicken, ground beef and shredded beef. All were excellent but the shredded beef was by far our favorite.

I ordered the key lime pie with trepidation having been burned so many times before by weak imitations but this one was the real thing- just the right texture, color and flavor.

Definitely worth a visit before or after the sunset if you are in the mood for authentic Cuban food with great people.