“It was ok.”

Ranked #82 of 454 Restaurants in Key West
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill, Brew Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Charlie Mac's is the winner of the 2013 Key Plaza Memorial Day BBQ Cook Off and serves up the best island-flavored BBQ in Key West. Inspired by the sizzling pits of South Carolina, Charlie Mac’s is Pat Croce’s latest Mile Zero local hot spot. Tap into two dozen brews. Order up an icy cocktail. Kick back to live music. Enjoy the great vibes right next to the Green Parrot Bar. And get lively with the Southernmost Hurricane Club on game day at the new official Key West home of the University of Miami Hurricanes.
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The service was fast and friendly and the corn bread devine. My pork was ok and I tried all 3 Bar-B-Cue sauces which enhanced the pork, which needed it. My husband had the brisket which had good flavor but was chewy. Entree size was generous. Sides were ok. Great place to have a beer and watch games. We are not game people and sat outside because it was so loud. If the meat had been better we would try again. Not our scene but know others will enjoy.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Unlike many people who have written reviews about this place, I actually took the time to ask my server a few questions and got real feedback about the reviews written on Trip Advisor and other sites. First, I will give my own review based on my expierence. I went the first week of opening, and yes, it was a little rough. Staff is still new, kitchen is still trying to get things out the way they are supposed to, but the kitchen is also new. It sucks to hear people know that it is a new restaurant and bash it with in the first few days, just give it some time to find its bearings. IT WILL FIND THEM. People are so impatient. I am sure that on your (who ever is reading) first day at a new place, being thrown to the wolves, was not the easiest. And locals tend to be mean compared to the tourist! New takes time for every place. My food was good! It did take a little time, but it was good. I went understanding that it was a new restaurant.... So I was patient. The Brisket was awesome and cooked to perfection. It takes a LONG time to cook brisket and they did it right, I was not a fan of the fries as well, but someone told me that they have since been changed. The fried pickles did have a lot of dough on them, so they were different than I had ever had, BUT just because they were not what I was expecting, doesn't mean that I didn't like them. I don't expect every restaurant to cater to my taste buds and mine alone. I liked the pickles! Very filling, and a HUGE portion! The baked beans (cause I asked) are NOT from a can, and neither are the green beans OR the mac & cheese. I thought the sides were AWESOME, and if someone thought it was from a can, they are nuts, because the beans still had some tips on them! And they were crunchy! Plus, the mac & cheese is made every day there. The corn bread (and someone else said it too) was BY FAR the best cornbread I have ever had! Also a homemade recipe. Sweet, and not crumbly, and almost cake like texture! Some people complained about the portion and the taste: 2 points here to those people. A: It is a SIDE DISH, not the entree, so the size is the size of a side you FATTY, and point B: IF you didn't like it.. then why would you want a bigger size? Sides are sides, and they give you 3 on the entrees! How much does a person plan to eat in one meal!? 3, ALL HOME MADE SIDES! Some people complain about the dumbest stuff!
My server was as sweet as the cornbread informing me of all of these things, too. They don't have a locals discount, but I have something to say to the locals about that in my next review... :) over all good expierence. And as a local, I will come back to support a local place. They can and will get better! Check the place out.

1  Thank Kate S
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Good atmosphere, great staff, lots of TVS. The staff was very friendly often giving free samples of food and free drinks. The food came out in a timely fashion without needing any seasonings or sauces. I would recommend this to anyone in key west who wants good BBQ, or just wants a drink at the bar and to watch nfl Sunday ticket.

Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

Croce could have done better with the food. 16 of us locals went in for a dinner and ordered most dishes. We had various results. All around the fries were luke warm as was the brisket. Someone is not watching and is letting preps get sloppy. The fries were definitely cooked ahead if time. My brisket was very thick cut and fatty snd bot tender. Others I saw were lean so I guess I just got the short stick. Cole slaw came in a pill cup size? Whats up with that. Cheep to make, at least give us more than a forkful. My fries were lukewarm just like the others. I suspect the kitchen fries and cooks stuff up in advance and just is a serving kitchen. Big mistake. As a local, I am not sure I would eat here again

Now lets talk bar. He did this right. New coolers and lines. Cold glasses and cold beer. Made me think of the meteor of old which was known for the coldest beer in Key West
I will be back to drink but I would do Grunts for dinner

Ps. Jack flats, foggertys, Caroline's are all owed by same group and do consistently great and offer a locals discount ( knowing where their referrals come from). Croce has a number of places as well and the food is left wanting at all of them. This is not rocket science. Train your managers to train others and someone needs to watch over very medium kitchen. The bar will do OK but they are blowing it again in the dining room. Ohh, and offer some local discount. Just to say you appreciate their coming in. Not doing so says you don't care

PhillytoKeyWest, Manager at Charlie Mac's, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Sorry you had a bad experience, please let me assure you that the food has come a very long way since you were in, We have recently won two BBQ contest and have sky rocket in our rating among Key West restaurants. We do offer a locals discount, so please come back and give us a second chance.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Last week in Key West someone told me that where Bobalu's used to be was a good barbeque place called Charlie Mac's. So being nearby I thought I'd try it. The drink menu was interesting so I had a drink called the Suckerpunch. Delicious! The brisket sandwich sounded good, it came with coleslaw and fires and was very good. The service was fantastic, So when local friends wanted to try something new the next evening, we went to Charlie Mac's again and sat in the vodoo room. Again, our waitress was so bubbly and helpful, our dinners were so good. They were very impressed by the quality of the food and wonderful service. We will be back again!!!