“Wow.”

and up
Dry Tortugas National Park Day Trip by Catamaran
Ranked #8 of 188 things to do in Key West
Reviewed May 8, 2014

A once in a lifetime visit that seems too often to be forgotten or passed over.

An island around 70 miles off the coast with excellent snorkling, intersting history, bird spotting and sun bathing.

You can't appreciate it by reading a trip advisor review. Look at some pictures of it, ariel pictures and you'll see what I mean about how incredible the place is.
I'd put a picture up myself but my memory card corrupted whilst on vacation and all the images of Dry Tortugas are lost forever. I'm in the UK so it really was "once in a lifetime" for me.

The one question I had before I went was "toilets". There are some composting toilets on the island (like an airplane toilet) that are usable until the ferry docks, then the ferry toilets are used, they are back in use when the ferry departs. There is no food or water on the island - anything you want, you need to bring or have on the ferry.

Ask the park rangers questions; they're very knowledgable.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,303)
All reviews
"moat wall"
in 89 reviews
"fish"
in 489 reviews
"miles west of key west"
in 50 reviews
in 122 reviews
"south beach"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2014

WOW! What an amazing day my husband and I had here. We chose to do the Sea Plan tour. We had the entire island to ourselves with the other passengers on our plane until 10:45AM. We did the 4 hour tour that started at 8AM. I would not do the ferry! Spend the extra money and take a sea plane. You get some awesome views of the ship wrecks in the water and you even see sharks and turtle swimming. This place was absolutely amazing in every way. I got an awful sunburn scuba diving a few days prior so we didn't snorkel. If we wanted to snorkel, We would have a some time...but not a lot. Way to much to see for the history buffs!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Visiting this National Park requires a 2 and 1/2 hour ferry ride over sometimes rough waters ($160 each, round trip ), but it's worth it. This was an important fort in Union hands during the Civil War. Take the free tour and then wander around marveling at what passed for "modern warfare" 150 years ago.

1  Thank lionel77
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a day long activity. You load the Ferry at 8 am and return the same day at 5:30. The fort is pretty cool and the Ferry staff are also your tour guides for the Fort. Breakfast and lunch are served on the boat. They also provide snorkeling gear at no charge. Several areas around the island are designated for swimming and snorkeling.