“Great bang for the buck”
Review of El Patio Motel

and 1 more site!
El Patio Motel
Ranked #56 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I had read some of the awful reviews of this motel here, so hesitated to stay here. However, we needed a place to stay for one night (not an easy task in Key West) until our weekly rental opened up. I have to say, we were very pleasantly surprised with everything about El Patio. The staff was very friendly, the sundeck and pool were more than impressive and the room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely recommend the El Patio to anyone, and we will certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tamisuewho

Reviewed May 5, 2009

El Patio Motel was great for us--we knew we would be spending most of our time in Key West and not in the motel, so we didn't need fancy accommodations. The room was clean, equipped with a small refrigerator and air conditioner. The motel grounds were clean, the pool was nice, and the street was quiet. It was within walking distance to the beach, the Southernmost Point, and to the east end of Duval street with many shops and restaurants nearby. George, who was at the front desk when we checked in, was very helpful with parking locations for downtown and arranging a snorkeling trip. My only complaint is that the wifi service did not extend to the rooms--it was only accessible outside, which seems a bit pointless.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank lyrix428
Reviewed May 2, 2009

We were in this motel for 2 nights. Other than its proximity to Duvall St, there was nothing special. The room was old, not renovated at all, had just the bare essential stuff to live. Old bathrooms with no exhaust :).

Overall, we had to stay becasuse this was the cheapest deals. Given a chance, we wont stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at El Patio Motel. We were looking for a play to stay with good location, kid friendliness, and decent value. Most B&Bs in Key West don't allow children, so we decided on El Patio since it has a pool and is a few blocks from the public beach. The neighborhood is very quiet but within walking distance of the Southernmost Point, Hemingway House, and Duval Street (the quiet end). The grounds of the motel are beautifully kept and the rooms are very clean and well-serviced. Keep in mind that the rooms, while clean, are basic. We paid $129 per night and felt that the motel was a good value for the price.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LoganSquareNeighbor
Reviewed March 11, 2009

I read other reviews and set my expectations low. I camp, I stay in cheap motels when I need to, I have no problem with crappy place- BUT, this was just unacceptable.
When I write tripadvisor reviews, I usually say both the positive and negative, but this place was all horrible.
While waiting in the 45 minute check-in line, three other couples told us that they got their rate of $109 a night from the Key West Visitor Center. This was much less than the $179 what we booked at on the phone one month earlier. When it was (finally) our turn to be helped at the desk, the horrific, mean-spirited, check-in man literally yelled at us questioning how "dare we ask for a lower rate?" We were so tired from traveling that we barely could answer him as spit flew from his mouth in "outrage" that we could ask for a lower rate. It just got worse from there as he talked to other customers about us right there.

Onto the motel: I expected it to be very motel-ly. You get what you pay for- but it was so much worse than any other motel I’ve ever stayed at. The room had bugs, no shampoo or soap, no hair-dryer (you could rent one though), squeaky beds, terrible acoustics, and THE MOST nauseating colors imaginable.

We were there for a wedding, so other guests were staying there as well. They had bad experiences too and would never go back.

Key West is just an amazing place to be. Enjoy your trip- don't stay here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lmas14
Magdalenapie, manager at El Patio Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2009

As a motel manager, I am aware that, although I would like to, I cannot satisfy 100% of guests who walk through our doors. It is unrealistic, to say the least. With that being said, our staff works very hard each day to ensure that the rooms are clean, that service is provided in a timely manner, and that guests are given any assistance that is needed at the front desk, with maid service, or with any maintenance needs as necessary. It is disheartening (at best) when these review boards are used irresponsibly with disregard for people who could be adversely affected by their words (ie: staff & employment). I would also like to clarify that hair dryers are supplied from the front desk at no charge to guests (as well as coffee pots and irons) when requested. We encourage people to research accommodations in Key West to determine which accommodations best suit their needs, as there are many different options. I ask people who read these reviews: please do so with a careful and discerning eye!

Reviewed February 15, 2009

A little on the basic side, however, very quiet location, lots of patios to just sit around outside. Hotel is very near to the most southern place in Key West. Parking is free, and there was just enough. No coffee pots in the room, nor in the lobby. Good price.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed December 10, 2008

After reading terrific reviews, we were disheartened to find a property not worthy of any of them. Honestly, when we returned home I checked TripAdvisor to verify the hotel we stayed at was the one I had read about. Sadly it was. We didn't arrive with unrealistic expectations either.
* We expected a modest, little frills property. This was fulfilled.
* We expected cleanliness. This was NOT fulfilled. We requested a second cleaning after arriving, and although this request was granted, it was done with the same level of quality, which is to say "not much." Assuming a third cleaning would yield similar results, we headed to the store to get some clorox multi surface cleaner. Much better.
* We expected friendliness from the staff. This was NOT fulfilled. Perhaps the biggest disappointed came from the desk staff. Wow. Any number of unflattering adjectives can be used here. Pick one. Pick a few. They all will work.
* If the price works for you, then by all means take a chance and book a room. We never will again, at any price.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family