“What a mistake”

Delray Beach
“What a mistake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

Where do I begin.

A week before New Years (2014) my wife and I decided to go to Key West to celebrate the New Year. No rooms were available anywhere from Dec.26th to Jan 1st.. We had gone to Key West 6 years ago, without a reservation, only to find out it was the "Lobster Fest" and the only rooms available were at El Patio. At that time we found El Patio "tired" but acceptable. On a whim I called them and they had one room available with a queen bed, from Dec. 27th through the 1st. I booked it.

Low and behold, 6 years later the place was exactly the same. Room key on a fob, 2 inch thick mattress, linoleun tile floor, worn wicker furniture, noisy window air conditioner, and an old 19" television. I guess the reason I am so upset was because 6 years ago I paid $90+ daily for the room and this time I was charged $259 for basically the same room and I think the same pillows.
Full payment was required at check in so when I went to the office to cancel my reservation I was told that I could get my money back on Jan. 2nd if they were able to resell my room. The thought of loosing $1,300 if they could not resell the room was enough to keep us there.

I can say however that the room was made-up nicely each day although the floors were not mopped. This would not have normally been a problem but since we had rain for the first three days and did not take off our shoes before entering the room, our shoe prints reminded us that it had rained.

Room Tip: Any room at any other hotel/motel will be better
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Stan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel had a great location. It was close to the southernmost point, and walking distance to two beaches and to Duvall street. It was safe and very quiet. The neighborhood was a treasure to walk around in. The staff were very nice and provided us with a map for walking. The motel itself was old and needs upgrades, but it was clean and had the basics. The air conditioner, shower, fridge and tv worked fine. The bed was a bit uncomfortable but again the price is very reasonable and the location was great. The parking was tight and difficult to find a spot, otherwise it was a perfect trip. I will definitely visit here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Orla757
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

This art deco motel is clean and quiet with a small pool and a sun terrace. The main feature is the location, easy to drive to and park outside, yet just a couple of blocks from Duval St where all the fun is. It is also close to two Key West beaches. Five minutes walk to South Beach for a superb breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

The desk person, Sarah was friendly & helpful. The grounds were clean & it was comfortable sitting outside. An old motel & the rooms are in need of some upgrades.The tiled room floor was fairly clean, but old & stained. The beds were hard (more like a box spring than a mattress, but after a long day in KW one could sleep just about anywhere). Limited water pressure in the shower. Wi-Fi not accessible inside the room. Decent location in good neighborhood.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SassyPants B
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

clean, helpful staff, close to duval, rent a bike, go to local minimart, stockup on beer, save a ton, party at night, recuperate at schoners on the water with the breakfast club in a bloody mary fashion, repeat.......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luis d
Folkestone, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I booked this motel after reading previous travellers' reviews and I was not disappointed. It's easy to find along Washington Avenue and is within walking distance of the beaches, museums and all the major attractions of Key West. There is a lovely pool and patio if you don't want to go to the beach. The ice machine was great. The staff were very friendly and helpful - they let me leave two bags on my departure day until I needed to leave, and they gave me instructions for finding a cybercafe. The whole place was immaculately clean. I stayed for 2 nights but would happily go back for longer. The rooms are a bit old-fashioned but very comfortable, with a modern TV, fridge and air-conditioning.

The only thing that stops me from giving it 5 stars was an incident on my departure day, which was probably a one-off. I knew I had to check out at 11. I went into town to an internet cafe around 9.30 and returned at 10.45. I'd left my bags in the room and it must have been obvious that the room was still occupied. When I got back, I found that the cleaner had removed a half bottle of Coke and a full bottle of mineral water that I'd left in the fridge, and poured them away - I found the empty bottles in a trash bag outside. What was worse was that my beach towel was missing. I reported this to reception and at first they refused to believe me. After giving a description of the towel, they went to look for it and found it, apparently in the motel's laundry pile. How a very distinct brightly coloured towel got mixed up with their plain white towels I do not know,,,

Room Tip: I don't think there is much difference between one room and another. I was in Room 9 and that wa...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Deerfield Beach, Florida, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Location! Had a GREAT stay! Easy Walk to Duval St. and Higgs Beach. Friendly & welcoming staff. The roof top patio is AWESOME. Free parking. The property is older and dated ... or just charming ... but most important ... SPOTLESSLY clean. Stay here for a weekend for less than one night in a plain brand name hotel room. Room had a fridge, but no coffeemaker. Will bring my own next time. A Key West Treasure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo