“Our stay wasn't as "pleasant" as it used to be”

Curry House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #46 of 77 Key West B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Let me preface by saying the Curry House is a great value with a fantastic location. My family & I have loved it so much that we have recommended this B&B to other friends/family for several years. However, our recent trip wasn't so pleasant. We decided to rent all 9 rooms for a very special event. We knew we were not supposed to "use" the kitchen refrigerator for understandable reasons (the health code says they are an operating restaurant) not all of us knew the particulars... but some of our party stored food there anyway for a small reception. One of the Innkeepers decided to berate me, my best friend & my sister in law the next morning. We were made to feel very uncomfortable, unwelcome & embarrassed. I was told that she contacted the owner who promptly told her to call the Police! Seriously??!! She did not. Furthermore, I was informed that the sister B&B was called to "warn" them of our overflow guests that were staying there & to "watch out" for them. I have never been treated so unprofessionally by anyone respectable & I am saddened by the deterioration of this beautiful KW B &B & the behavior of the long time Innkeeper who has been there.The other new staff employees were cordial and always polite. Needless to be said None of us will ever return. :(

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Bancrofl
CurryHouseKeyWest, Owner at Curry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Group reservations can be a challenge for innkeepers because the anonymity of a crowd can breed bad behavior. We took a reservation for the whole house from this reviewer since she was a repeat customer, knew the house rules from previous stays, and promised that her guests would not be a problem. Before arriving she asked if they would be able to use the kitchen, and was told NO because of health department restrictions on our commercial kitchen. Each of our guestrooms has its own refrigerator and we provide paper plates, napkins, etc. for the convenience of our guests. During their stay we found that many of these guests had a complete disregard for our rules, including bringing in unregistered guests to party and "crash" in the rooms. The worst, however, was their use of our kitchen. To do so, they needed to scale the LOCKED kitchen gate- the one with the sign posted " Do Not Enter Employees Only". They contaminated both refrigerators with leftovers and pizza boxes while helping themselves to our dishes, silverware, and some of our breakfast food. Health department laws are in place to protect our guests and ourselves. An outbreak of something like E-coli, Staph, or Norwalk virus would be catastrophic to our guests and our inn. Needless to say, this irresponsible group has disappointed us. It makes us appreciate even more the wonderful groups we have had in the past who leave us with smiles, hugs, and plans to return!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at The Curry House.Breakfast outside beside the pool with my friends was delicious.Lois was the best,looking after us like we were family.There was such a cosy ,homely feeling to the place,it was so hard to say good bye.The situation was also very good,within walking distance to the boats and just around the corner from an organic little restaurant.
If ever I get the chance to be in Key West again I would certainly love to stay at the Curry House.
My room #9 was at the very top ,up 2 flights of stairs.I think next time I shall choose to stay on the second floor in a room with a balcony if it is available,especially the balcony looking out on the pool with the back garden.I have many happy memories from my stay there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank soul747
CurryHouseKeyWest, Manager at Curry House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

I look forward to my "study groups" every year. They alwasy bring "good energy"! Come see us again when you can.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The curry house is only surpassed by the lady of the house, Lois. From the moment of our arrival to the great buffet breakfast and all of the welcoming attention in between, she had a comforting way of letting you know that you belonged. We had a short weekend and staying at the curry house with Lois was worth the trip.

We'll definitely be going back!
Donald and Julio

Room Tip: Room #5 was spacious, quiet and clean.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DonaldandJulio

Squiggles and I will miss you. Hurry back!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Curry House on Flemming in Key West, Florida is a bed and breakfast with a lot to offer. It is about nine rooms, has a pool and the rooms have TVs. Some rooms share a hallway bath. It is quiet, clean and the management is very effecient. Breakfast is quite nice with lots of choices. Coffee and tea are available at 7:30 AM. There is a sitting area adjacent the small kitchen area that joins the poarch next to the pool. Our stay was quite pleasant and the manager, Lois, was very hospitable and gracious is seeing that all was well. Since we visit Key West several times a year we prefer the bed and breakfast style accommodation over the typical hotel or motel and this was our first stay at Curry House but it won't be our last. Only a few things may need a bit of brushing up but this is Key West. There are a lot of tourists coming and going so its a busy place. Also cruise ships flood the lower Duval St area when they call, so you may want to head to the opposite end. Its getting to be a traffic jam around Front St and Duval and the Conch Train seems to have a lot of favoritism. Curry House is an easy walk to most attractions and the waterfront, so my wife and I highly recomment this quaint little bead and breakfast for your next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bath if one is available
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Curry House is close to the fun spots in Key West, but on a quiet street so you can get your sack time. Our third floor room was great, although it took some time for the A/C to get going. (3rd floor landing? Hot!) Lois and the staff were great. The backyard pool area is great to unwind or take your breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 7 has only 3rd floor king. A/C will need to run full-time.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheWRambler
Reviewed June 3, 2013

With so many bed and breakfast options in Key West it can be hard to pick the right one so we're happy that we enjoyed our stay at the Curry House. The location was absolutely perfect and the staff was more than welcoming. We stayed in room 3 on the second floor, had access to the second floor balcony and shared a bathroom with another room. While I was apprehensive about a shared bathroom it did not affect our stay at all and I really didn't mind it. The daily breakfasts were so delicious and nothing like the drab continental food at most B&B's. We will definitely stay here again and look forward to another stay in Key West!

Room Tip: We didn't stay on the 3rd floor, but we did love the second floor and access to the front balcon...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maranda M
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our party of 6 from the uk just left after a great time at the curry inn.
Compared to other places we've stayed at in key west it's a bit smaller than we've been in however the property didnt let us down.
Clean rooms,fresh towel,nice bed,bathroom a bit tight,so what!
Nice veranda to sit out overlooking the smallish pool,set at the right temperature.
Breakfast included with coffee available from 7:30 around the pool.
Lois is a lovely host who is very helpful and knowledgable about where to go,,but she doesn't like fish ;0)
We honestly would stay again.
It's in the perfect spot away from duval,2 short blocks and 200 yds to the harbour in the other direction.
My only negative is you have to find a street parking spot somewhere,good luck!
Great stay,all 6 of us agreed,which takes some doing lol
I've give a very good as opposed to excellent,don't be put off by that!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple